Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting a 38 super to 9mm major

enutees

I'm thinking of buying a used 38 super open gun. I was wondering what parts would be involved in making it 9mm. What gunsmith could do it and what would you estimate price wise?

I don't currently shoot 38 super and already have the 650 set up in 9mm. I think the cost of converting might easily pay for itself in dies, conversion kits, case feed adapter, brass etc.

Let me know what you think.

Also, is the 9mm major pushing it for a new open shooter?

Thanks for the help.

My understanding is just an extractor change and using SV mags. However, there MAY be a difference in the breachface to matter (ask your friendly neighborhood gunsmith for this).

As for it being too much for a new shooter. I don't imagine it's anymore than .38 Super. My only concern is that you're more a careful and experienced reloader.

Rich

The first question I would ask is: How much for the gun? Then you have to add for the conversion. You might be better off just buying a new custom gun in 9mm to start with.

Loading 9MM major shouldn't be a problem on a 650. There are posts for the load data.

I can get a gun with mags for around $1600-1700. Plenty are listed on USPSA all the time. Seems that most new guns without mags are around $2500 at the cheapest. I figure with the mags, even if I had to pay $400+ to convert I would still be coming out well ahead. (around $500 or so.)

Does this make sense or am I missing something?

And I've loaded 10's of thousands of 9mm. Never to major caliber though.

Thanks for the help so far.

Well here are some estimates on the figuires:

Barrel $200

Slide $200

Aftec Supercomp/9mm extractor $75

Labor $ 400 aprox.

If the magazines are SV your ready to go. If they are STI magazines you'll need to buy the spacers and new followers. I am not sure of those prices. I still think you're better off buying a new gun. Just my opinion though. Unless you are just going to shoot Super.

I was missing something. Didn't think about labor.

I thought I might be able to use the same slide and comp and just replace the barrel.

Its looking more like a new gun or suck it up and shoot 38 super. My god I think I'll throw if I have to pay $70/1000 for brass.

I never even pick up my 9mm.

Who are the best smith's building new 9mm major guns. I've read about Bedell and J.L. Hardy. Do they have websites or anything?

Any other recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Why would the slide need to be replaced? That would knock off at least $300 off of your estimate.

I have 2 38 Super's but if I only had 1 I would buy a new barrel and extractor in a minute.

Two reasons #1 The breech face on a slide for 38 Super is cut wider for the rim of the case. This leaves slack for Supercomp and 9MM cases. SV makes two diffrent size breechfaces for this reason. ( I don't have the measurements in front of me. Sorry.)

#2 If you are going to replace the barrel on a used gun you might as well replace the slide. You'll have a new slide to fit to the new barrel to the frame. Otherwise it's like changing the oil but leaving the old filter. We are talking used Open gun here. Unless the frame is cracked your only left with a trigger job at worst down the road.

Does it make sense now?

Two reasons #1 The breech face on a slide for 38 Super is cut wider for the rim of the case. This leaves slack for Supercomp and 9MM cases. SV makes two diffrent size breechfaces for this reason. ( I don't have the measurements in front of me. Sorry.)

#2 If you are going to replace the barrel on a used gun you might as well replace the slide. You'll have a new slide to fit to the new barrel to the frame.

Given the legions of Supers that are now running Supercomp with an extractor change, the breechface issue isn't a showstopper. I agree that fitting a new barrel to an old slide is sort of a waste though.

Given that Caspian and STI don't manufacture "9mm" slides (they both sell "38Super/9mm" slides), it's not an issue. Heck, AFTEC recommends that the 38Super extractor be used with "true" 9mm breechfaces and that the 9mm/SC/etc. is to be used with Super slides that are used for 9mm/SC/etc.

AFA getting the slide replaced, if the thing's old as Methuzela w/ 50k+ rounds and loosening up, I'd get it replaced. If you're having the barrel replaced, have a 'smith you trust look at, see what the lugs and fit are like and give you his recommendation.

I just went through the exact thing you are talking about - 38 supercomp to 9mm.

All I did was have the barrel replaced. Thats it. same comp,same extractor, slide, slide stop ejector, etc.

124 gr MG jhp w/ VV N350 = super accurate

Given that Caspian and STI don't manufacture "9mm" slides (they both sell "38Super/9mm" slides), it's not an issue. Heck, AFTEC recommends that the 38Super extractor be used with "true" 9mm breechfaces and that the 9mm/SC/etc. is to be used with Super slides that are used for 9mm/SC/etc.

I would for this application choose SVI slide in 9MM it just makes sense to me. 9MM gun 9MM breech face. This is an exact conversation I had with Don Golembeski if anybody knows he does. Sound like Aftec has designed their 9MM/Supercomp extractor to compensate for a design issue in the above mentioned slides. Again this is my opinion if I were going to do it, if I were buying a used gun and going to spend to convert. Since the power factor is not going up and 9MM is going to stay. Why not start off with the best equipment possible?

Too, with the money you 9'ers are saving on brass, $200 for a slide is nothing.

I hear ya, but if the slide is not worn out and it will work just fine as a 9mm slide, why not use it and spend the $300 (can't forget labor) on brass?

I'm talking myself right into it. :wacko:

• 5 months later...

Some say yes it will work some say it dosn´t work??

I got a new slide in caliber 38super and want to buy a 9mm barrel (sti trubor).

Does this combination works or not??

The slide I got is a SPS hybrid slide. I´m thinking to get some extra hole on the barrel and let the gunsmith fit it..

Please help me!! I need to set up the new gun as soon as possible..

Wiktor "The beginner"

Although I am not familiar with this slide my son and I have been running major 9 for a year now. It is not as simple as some may make it sound. If the SPS slide is like a STI slide you may have trouble.

We had a lot of trouble with STI slides and 9mm, swithced to SV on my sons gun and it was a 100% gun , mine is currently getting a Caspian slide due to trouble with the STI slide.