Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Loo

Dead Buff

This is a bit of a stupid Q, but it was inspired by that see-through loo thread.

May you acctually remove your gun when going....especially thinking of the portable units? Bag it in the safety area first? Allowed to remove gun when not seen?

Please delete this thred if it doesn't fit in.

Most of the matches I've been to will provide a safe area next to the latrine facilities. The women are grateful along with a good portion of the men. Nationals in Bend was an exception. I'm fairly certain that most just unholstered in the latrine.

L

I'm fairly certain that most just unholstered in the latrine.

If there is no safety area near it, or if I don't have time (ya know those sudden calls... <_< ) to pick up the bag and go to a safety, I'd remove the whole outer belt/holster/gun equipment while in there.

May you acctually remove your gun when going....especially thinking of the portable units? Bag it in the safety area first? Allowed to remove gun when not seen?

The only place you are authorised to handle your firearm unsupervised is in a safety area, but a loo is not a safety area. If the match organisers are willing and able to provide a safety area conveniently adjacent to the loos, great.

If not, you go to the safety area first, remove and case or bag your gun (and whatever else might get in the way), then you go to the loo. Of course you're free to take your gun case or bag with you into the loo, if you're concerned that your equipment might get lost, stolen or excessively fondled in your absence. The relevant rule is:

10.5.1 Handling a firearm at any time except when in a designated safety area or when under the supervision of, and in response to a direct command issued by, a Range Officer.

BTW, the Rules Committee is currently in the final stages of deciding upon an official definition of the expression "Handling a firearm" and, when we have a consensus, the results will be published on the IPSC website (but of course either Neil or I will also make an announcement here for the benefit of BE Forum readers).

You see, we love to spoil you guys ......... B)

Hope this helps.

I know many remove there guns in there and I have heard of one gun that landed inside one of the portable jobs. He removed the outer belt and since holster retention tests are not applicable.... - no, he was not DQ'ed and yes, according to the rules the RO must hand the gun to the shooter.....not nice <_<

And no, no-one may supervise!

I think many break the rules in there and get away with it, but I am not going to police.... :P

I think that you should remove all your gear first.  One year at a good size match, a women went to use the facilities with all her gear on.  She came out 1 magazine short.

Drop the gun in. I ain't goin' in for just a magazine. <_<

L

It is absolutely no one else's business what I do in the bathroom. I could not care less what some arbitrary rules say once I get behind the door. :P

I might feel differently if I used a race holster, but that's mostly because I know that sooner or later I'd knock it loose and onto the floor just going through the door. :wacko:

I'm speechless.

Sorry guys, but I just can't let this thing ride. I've moved Roger's post to another place for review by the other Moderators. If they agree to reinstate it, I will live with the decision, but I don't think the subject video portrays IPSC shooters in a good light.

This thread closed until more Senior Moderators decide otherwise.