Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 85 Combat Trigger work

DWFAN

My search foo is weak so far today, so hopefully some more knowledgeable folks will stop by.

I'm helping a buddy get his 85C up to speed. He's got the 13lb hammer spring installed, but is still a little unhappy with the double action pull, Over 8lbs. Single is 4lb 11oz.

What can we do to lower the double action ? (single action needs to stay above 3.5lbs). He's not concerned with super light double action, but anything less than what it is now would be an improvement.

Would a Shadow or Comp hammer help any ? I thought of a CGW kit, but could bring the SA below the 3.5 minimum.

My Shadow's are making him jealous, and I'm just not sure what the difference is besides the hammer?

Comp hammer, Shadow hammer will help the single action pull and release.

as Jason said, you can pull a little off the TRS and this will take some weight off the DA stroke. just be careful, if you go too far this will decrease the force of your reset.

The CGW kit for a 75B reduced DA/SA comes with two very light hammer springs, like an 8 and an 11. It also comes with the extended firing pin and light firing pin spring. I tried this package with the 11 lb spring and it worked great on soft primer ammo. You can't do just one part of the package, however. The kit comes with an adjustable sear and worked over hammer and mine worked great right out of the baggies. I didn't leave it that way long, however, as I converted to single action only with a 17 lb hammer spring so that I could switch to a Kadet 22 slide whenever I wanted. The 11 lb hammer spring is way too light for rimfire. I use the 75B with CGW parts in IDPA ESP now so SAO is OK. If I had stuck with production or SSP, I would have left the gun DA/SA with the entire package of CGW parts.

I think I left the stock trigger return spring in the gun with the light DA/SA parts to keep the trigger pull in SA mode above 3.5 lbs with the light hammer spring.

You can also polish up the trigger bar pieces to clean things up a little. Lots of ways to accomplish what you want to do, the CGW parts are one way, and a good one based on my very limited experience with one gun. The key to DA pull is hammer spring weight, and, as you go lighter, you have to change other things to make it work reliably. Compromises.

Joe

My 85C is fitted with the Cajun Gun Works Ultra Light Kit and Hammer Kit 3 (if you order, make sure he knows you're shooting an 85...I think he's got to grind down the hammer a little bit on the right side so it clears the slide in the back.) I'm a new shooter and the only comparison I can make to this gun is a Glock 34 with competition spring kit and Ghost Rocket connector...but I'm extremely pleased with the gun. Everyone that has asked me to handle the gun comments about how good the trigger is. The only thing I don't like is that there's alot of takeup in SA mode - my understanding is that's just something you have to live with in a DA/SA gun and frankly when the buzzer goes off I do not notice it at all and I think the gun could shoot much faster than my skill level dictates right now. I was concerned about having a DA pull on my first shot (as opposed to the striker fired Glock,) but the DA pull isn't bad at all - I haven't missed a shot with it and I don't think it slows me down at all. And CGW's service is excellent - they got me product all the way to Pittsburgh PA in like 2 days...plus the owner answers emails immediately with informative replies.

I installed all of the CGW parts myself, and I'm certainly no gunsmith - would've been very easy except that I kept trying to put it back together with the sear cage upside down (that should give you an idea of ow little I know about gunsmithing and that if I can do it, anybody can do it.)

I do have to use Federal primers otherwise I get about 1 in 20 light strikes (and I'm using the heavier of the two springs that come in the Ultralight Kit.)

A CZC comp hammer is probably all he'll need. It won't take everything off dealing with the DA pull as far as pure weight numbers, but it'll make a huge dent, having the DA feeling smooth and silky... the ridiculous SA pull he'll get might make him forget about the extra weight in DA completely, as the DA is it's own thing anyways no matter what.

Wanted to add: after installing a CZC comp hammer he might actually have to go up to a 15lb hammer-spring to keep his SA pull at or above 3.5lbs, but still, the action with the comp hammer installed feel to me to be far more linear, whereas stock CZ hammers seem to feel like more of an up and then down climb before the sear releases.

I have two Shadows. A 75 Target and a SP-01.

The SP is a plain Shadow, 13ms, with a comp hammer added by me. It goes 8lbs double and 3lb 10oz single.

The 75 is a CZC gun, I believe it to have a 13ms as well with comp hammer. It goes 7.5/3.0.

Readings from my Lyman digital trigger guage.

So is the difference just use (i estimate the 75 at a higher round count) or more polishing from CZC, or tweaking of the trigger return spring or something else?

Ill see him tomorrow and compare all 3 guns. He may just need to shoot the 85 some to smooth it out and tweak the TRS.

I have two Shadows. A 75 Target and a SP-01.

The SP is a plain Shadow, 13ms, with a comp hammer added by me. It goes 8lbs double and 3lb 10oz single.

The 75 is a CZC gun, I believe it to have a 13ms as well with comp hammer. It goes 7.5/3.0.

Readings from my Lyman digital trigger guage.

So is the difference just use (i estimate the 75 at a higher round count) or more polishing from CZC, or tweaking of the trigger return spring or something else?

Ill see him tomorrow and compare all 3 guns. He may just need to shoot the 85 some to smooth it out and tweak the TRS.

Think you've got it, probably just needs to shoot it in. FWIW, I always polish the sides of the hammers on my CZ's, and am pretty sure it's part of the CZC extra love the custom guns get, it's quick, easy and makes a noticeable difference, happens naturally with extended use anyways. Though, I don't ever tweak the TRS in my guns, as I want as much reset snap as I can get, and would rather have more snap than a slightly lighter DA, but that's just me, YMMV.