Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550b Case Feeder Owners

I'm about to purchase a case feeder for my 550b. I was loading a few 40 rounds the other day when I got into a festering gob of primers that would not decap cleanly (get pulled back into the primer pocket). Not a big deal, I have a single stage press setup for this very issue. This got me to thinking that if I had a case feeder installed how much of a hassle or can you even pull out a case that's in position one with the case feeder in the way?

Will the feeding mechanism move out of the way far enough to allow you to pull a case out that has problem in position one?

I know I should work on getting the decap to work every time but its going to happen a few times regardless and I'm lazy.

I'm about to purchase a case feeder for my 550b. I was loading a few 40 rounds the other day when I got into a festering gob of primers that would not decap cleanly (get pulled back into the primer pocket). Not a big deal, I have a single stage press setup for this very issue. This got me to thinking that if I had a case feeder installed how much of a hassle or can you even pull out a case that's in position one with the case feeder in the way?

Will the feeding mechanism move out of the way far enough to allow you to pull a case out that has problem in position one?

I know I should work on getting the decap to work every time but its going to happen a few times regardless and I'm lazy.

First, I would get your decapping sorted out.

Second, if you have a issue like that when you lower the handle all the other possitions are ready to go to the next spot just reach in and knock that piece of brass out and keep going as normal. You'll have a empty spot on the plate for 4 turns but no biggie.

I just ordered another casefeeder for my other 550. I just couldn't justify getting a 650 and setting it all up when I'm setup for every catridge I load for on the 550. By the time I took all the parts off my 550 to put on the 650, I wouldn't have much left to sell lol.

+1 to everything steel1212 said. Also, the only thing the casefeeder does is feed cases. If you have issues with any station the feeder won't speed up anything. Get your 550 running smoothly and the casefeeder will send it into overdrive. If you do have a problem you just remove the case as before. The casefeeder won't get in your way.

Gently round the edge of the decapping pin. When they are square on the bottom some types of primers will grip the pin with the anvil - that is why they stick. Just don't put a sharp point on it.

I put a case feeder on one of my 550s. It was a little fiddly to get it adjusted just right at first, but now it runs very well. I would hate to be without it. Yes you can take a case out of station 1 if you want, no big deal.

I have the 550B case feeder

Its really OK but not fantastic.......needs work IMO

wont run 45ACP at all which is a bummer....cases wont stay in shell plate

they seem to wobble around and when you pull the handle the cases slam into the die

the die just does not have room for a misguided case and since they wobble they dont always go straight in

Cam and follower need factory revamp IMO,I see it as an easy fix..called dillon on all my issues and was told

"were working on it" which means it could be years.....Im pretty pissed

I cant reload 45 and I am prolly gonna buy another press just for 45 of another brand

Another thing the case feeder needs is a OFF setting or i should be able to pull off the cam wheel to stop the feed

so I can set up the press or fix a jam - another feature that should be there thats not IMO

40SW runs fine,still need to try my 9MMs and 357s but 45 is a jamomatic

Edited by SonnyCrockett

I have the 550B case feeder

Its really OK but not fantastic.......needs work IMO

wont run 45ACP at all which is a bummer....cases wont stay in shell plate

they seem to wobble around and when you pull the handle the cases slam into the die

the die just does not have room for a misguided case and since they wobble they dont always go straight in

Cam and follower need factory revamp IMO,I see it as an easy fix..called dillon on all my issues and was told

"were working on it" which means it could be years.....Im pretty pissed

I cant reload 45 and I am prolly gonna buy another press just for 45 of another brand

Another thing the case feeder needs is a OFF setting or i should be able to pull off the cam wheel to stop the feed

so I can set up the press or fix a jam - another feature that should be there thats not IMO

40SW runs fine,still need to try my 9MMs and 357s but 45 is a jamomatic

Anybody else have issues with .45 ACP or ideas as to the cause? Seems like the short, fat .45 case should feed when nothing else will. I am thinking about getting a case feeder for my 550B and although it wopuld mostly be for .40 I would like to know I could run .45 (or 9mm) without any issues.

I have a 550b with case feeder. It is a PIA to get going but once you do it runs great. Have loaded 2-3000 rounds of .45 with it. Have also used it for 9mm and .38. Need to tweak a little with every caliber change but it does run. And yes you can pull a bad round out of stage one. Havens on occasion with bad brass that won't seat primer or whong brass caliber mixed in.

I bought one about 1 month ago.After a lot of reading in this forum they supposedly did a up grade and it was suppose to work better than the first ones they came out with.So I bought one for 38 SC and after a little bit of fine tuneing it work great I would not be with out one.Just not haveing to take your hand off the handle is the best thing.I gained about 5 shells per minute or 18 per minuite total not double but it is way easyer not haveing to slide the shell in every time.I just click it around with my thumb put a bullet on and load much easyer.

• 4 weeks later...

MY 550B with case feeder runs 45ACP awesome!!

I've loaded thousands of rounds and never had a problem.

I agree about the case feeder being a little finicky to set up.

In my experience, I had no luck at all using Dillon's set up instructions in the manual.

However, they an excellent troubleshooting section in that manual and I believe one

should follow those instructions for setup.

If the cam pushes the case too far into the shell plate, the case will rebound a bit and

come out of the slot and not line up with the die anymore. Cycle the machine slowly and

the case should enter the shell plate completely then stop. Set your machine up like that

and it will rock.

I love my case feeder for 9, 40, 45.

Take care,

Dave

I haveused mine successfully for 38 and 9mm. Next trip home I will set it up to run .45 ACP. The 38 / 357 ran with out a hitch. The 9mm would give me a fit if I let a .380 case get in. The short case just sits there and defies you to reach under the case feeder and pull it out. It works fine other than that and wrong brass is certainly not the case feeders fault.