Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Typical A hit % in Production?

Nimitz

As most know, accuracy is critically important in Production because of minor PF. So, that got me wondering ... for the super squad guys, what's a typical "% As shot" at the Nationals or Area Championships type match?

I've only been shooting USPSA for 6 months & have only shot 6 matches to date & my best match was 87% As which was tops for the division. The winner shot only 81% As but had no penalties or Ms (I had 2 & 1 respectively) & was MUCH faster than me because I still have a lot to learn. That's what got me curious about how accurate do the big boys shoot? I'd kinda like to know at what point my accuracy is up to par where I can then turn my attention to increasing speed without losing accuracy ...

Take a look at the USPSA.org website under match results. Go to 2011 and check out the Production Nats. If you click on the competitors USPSA Number it brings up a summary of their stage performance, breakdown by stage of all their hits, and the number you're looking for at the bottom is the percentage of points they received. Give you an example, Ben Stoeger won with 94.48% and I was 16th with 88.85%. You can kind of poke around a bit. Some are faster with sloppier hits, others are slower with great hits.

Take a look at the USPSA.org website under match results. Go to 2011 and check out the Production Nats. If you click on the competitors USPSA Number it brings up a summary of their stage performance, breakdown by stage of all their hits, and the number you're looking for at the bottom is the percentage of points they received. Give you an example, Ben Stoeger won with 94.48% and I was 16th with 88.85%. You can kind of poke around a bit. Some are faster with sloppier hits, others are slower with great hits.

Keep in mind that in order to score ~95% of points, that for twenty targets or forty rounds, the winners are dropping 5 charlies....

So, out of every eight rounds fired, 7 are alphas and one is a charlie -- roughly.....

As most know, accuracy is critically important in Production because of minor PF. So, that got me wondering ... for the super squad guys, what's a typical "% As shot" at the Nationals or Area Championships type match?

I've only been shooting USPSA for 6 months & have only shot 6 matches to date & my best match was 87% As which was tops for the division. The winner shot only 81% As but had no penalties or Ms (I had 2 & 1 respectively) & was MUCH faster than me because I still have a lot to learn. That's what got me curious about how accurate do the big boys shoot? I'd kinda like to know at what point my accuracy is up to par where I can then turn my attention to increasing speed without losing accuracy ...

Points drop off quickly when shooting Minor.

Try thinking about what your true target is. Assume you are going to have some variability in hitting that target...whatever it may be. So, then...decide to refine what your true target NEEDS to be to get more of the points. So, instead of your target being the "A-zone" (which is about 6x11 inches)...maybe you need your target to be a 3x3 inch area within the A-zone.

• 2 weeks later...

Thx all. The first stage of that match was 31As and one C for me, I then had some trouble with later stages. Interestingly enough, the person who routinely wins Production at our monthly club match is a master class Prouction shooters who usually shoots an 'alpha' % around the mid to upper 80s ... Still more than enough to beat the production shooters at our matches like me .... I always try to get on his squad since I know he sets the standard for production ... He's also a super nice guy ...

I've noticed that some matches are more technical than others. One match might be won with nobody over 90, another might have 5 or 6 or more shooters in the 90's. Check your % relative to the top placers in that match.

our matches tend to be somewhat similar from month to month since it's the same small group doing stage design. We've been told that in general, our stages are somewhat more complicated than those you will see in some larger matches. I know for example, everyone who shoots regularily with us said that our stages are usually much tougher than what they saw at the Area Championships this year FWIW ...

Thx all. The first stage of that match was 31As and one C for me, I then had some trouble with later stages. Interestingly enough, the person who routinely wins Production at our monthly club match is a master class Prouction shooters who usually shoots an 'alpha' % around the mid to upper 80s ... Still more than enough to beat the production shooters at our matches like me .... I always try to get on his squad since I know he sets the standard for production ... He's also a super nice guy ...

There is a reason that we really do not compete against people classed higher than we are. The big difference in a D class, C class, B Class etc.... is how quick they run the stage. You take a squad that is made up of 10 C shooters or B shooters and their times will be relatively close. The deciding factor for winning will be who shot the most accurately. You take a squad of B shooters and throw in a Master that only gets 80% of the possible points and the overall HF will be pretty close between the high B and the Master. At a major match, an A, M, or GM who only gets 80 to 85% of possible points will get beaten by a number of lower classed shooters who just shot more accurately.

Since it is ultimately hit factor that matters, you have to consider that time is also a factor. I can probably shoot 99% A's if I really take my time and take a few make-up shots, but my hit factor will suck as badly as if I had shot faster and had a few C's and D's in there. That's why the sport is based on a triad - Speed, Accuracy, and Power. Each leg plays a role in how well you do.

In a balanced match, there will be a mix of stages. In some, speed will be most important and in others accuracy will play a greater role. I believe that, in general, the shorter the COF, the bigger the role accuracy plays. I know that, shooting major, on a 32 round field course, shaving a few seconds off my time will give me a better hit factor than picking up a few more A's. In a 16 round hoser, any dropped points really hurt because everyone is shooting fast.

I don't disagree but in production I would think that accuracy will always be 'a little more important' due to the minor PF scoring. Obviously at the extremes it doesn't matter but with shooters of similar capabilities, those who shoot more accurately in production probably come out ahead ... for major PF it's not that easy cause you can trade a little time for a little accuracy due to the scoring differences

I'd kinda like to know at what point my accuracy is up to par where I can then turn my attention to increasing speed without losing accuracy ...

Progress doesn't always happen in a linear progression, its a constant game of leap frog between speed and accuracy. Don't be so attached to accuracy that it becomes a "thing" you have to hold on to. Pickup the pace and trust that your accuracy will be there. It might not be ALL there but you don't all of a sudden forget how to shoot by increasing the pace slightly.

In development, it can be argued that learning/allowing yourself to be more accurate is easier than learning how to go faster. Sometimes you have to sacrifice some points for a while to get faster, then let the accuracy catch back up to the new pace.

As sroe3 said, different matches might have winners with higher or lower percentages. For example, at Area 6, my percentage points of 87.5% was competitive with first place production who scored 88.4%. Not counting penalties, my percentage was actually higher than the winner (my biggest shortcoming at Area 6 was mental mistakes, not lack of accuracy). Looking at the Florida Open, the Production winner won it with only 80.5% points! Port Malabar USPSA is a challenging match, which is great for us. The MD and primary crew are really good Open shooters so a lot of stages they come up with is challenging for Open, let alone Production shooters. Most of the stages are long field courses where speed counts. Which is GREAT for us. Its like sparring (in boxing) with heavy gloves then putting on lighter gloves for the actual fight. That being said, it wouldn't hurt to attend other clubs local matches. Central Florida, Titusville, Volusia ALL put on great matches with a slightly different flavor.

Edited by Kali

I don't disagree in principle except for the fact that I'm learning to shoot at the same time I'm learning competitive practical shooting, thus my primary focus on accuracy. When it takes me 24 shots to clear a 20 yd plate rack in a match speed is not something I should be worring about ... I have no complaints about how tough our monthly match stages are ... in fact for me, the more challenging the better. That's why I'm not that impressed with my 91% points on stage 3 of our last match - the stage was not particularily challenging, even for someone like me. I have attended Titusville and liked the match but unfortunately I currently only have Saturdays available which doesn't really afford me many other opportunities besides PMRPC ...