Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training without a range

kcobean

I'm just wondering how folks with no place to practice get better? Here in Northern Virginia, I like to say that every match is a practice session because it's the only way *to* practice. There are no places around here to practice movement or transitions with live rounds.

So what would YOU say are the top 5 things you can do to improve your performance off the range?

Dry fire. Get yourself a copy of Steve Anderson's dry fire books and set yourself upnwith a routine. You will want to supplement it with occasional live fire practice.

I'm in the same boat, I shoot 2 matches a month, and that's all the practice I get. I've tried dry-firing but it gets pretty boring pretty quick, so I haven't even been doing that.

Seems like a lot of people are using the dry-fire books though.

Dry fire. Get yourself a copy of Steve Anderson's dry fire books and set yourself upnwith a routine. You will want to supplement it with occasional live fire practice.

Thanks. I have recently started doing about 30 minutes of dry fire practice a day, but it's mostly drawing from the holster to first shot repititions. I'll definitely pick up these books.

Edited by kcobean

Thanks. I have recently started doing about 30 minutes of dry fire practice a day, but it's mostly drawing from the holster to first shot repititions. I'll definitely pick up these books.

Remember, dry fire practice is so much more than "draw, click, holster, draw, click, holster". You only "draw, bang" once per stage, so spend some time on all of the other things that happen after the draw and first bang. :)

Remember, dry fire practice is so much more than "draw, click, holster, draw, click, holster". You only "draw, bang" once per stage, so spend some time on all of the other things that happen after the draw and first bang. :)

Absolutely. I'll be buying Steve's books to help identify the best way to exercise the myriad other things that are adding WAY more time to my scores than my draw.

Top 5 things to do to improve outside of the range... IMO:

1.) Dry fire. Every day, 30-45 minutes. A variety of things - not just draws/reloads, but transitions, shooting on the move, etc.

2.) Watch videos of top flight GMs shooting stages. Don't focus on the speed of their actual shooting, instead analyze their technique, how they get in and out of positions, footwork, how they shoot as many targets from as few distinct placements of their feet, things like that.

3.) Physical training - agility and grip strength being key

4.) Read theory books (like the namesake of this forum's)

5.) Watch how-to videos (like Double Alpha's "3GM" series)

Edited by DonovanM

I have free access to a range but I think it still helps to do most/all of the 5 above. Theres no substitute to them. They compliment on-the-range experience.

eta: w/ or w/out dry fire books, my best guide in my dry fire routine is what I experience in matches, no matter how limited are they.

Edited by BoyGlock

... There are no places around here to practice movement or transitions with live rounds.

Get an airsoft gun and practice in your yard/basement.

I can't practice what I preach anymore because airsoft got banned in my city, Oceanside, CA :angry2: Luckily, the local indoor range allows rapid fire and drawing from a holster. All my movement practice is now dry-firing inside my apartment.

... There are no places around here to practice movement or transitions with live rounds.

I can't practice what I preach anymore because airsoft got banned in my city, Oceanside, CA :angry2: Luckily, the local indoor range allows rapid fire and drawing from a holster. All my movement practice is now dry-firing inside my apartment.

I was wondering if anyone would suggest airsoft. There are a couple of companies out there making XDm replicas which is what I shoot. I have an unfinished basement with lots of room to set up targets and such. I guess I should add that to my practice plans.

I switched from airsoft to blowback CO2 powered pellet guns, with rifled barrels and better accuracy.

Quite a bit more recoil, too.

About the same as practicing with a .22, but still doable at home.

Umarex makes some good ones for about $100.

But better backstops are needed than for airsoft.

Oceanside? Marine?

1339548049[/url]' post='1723787']
1338776176[/url]' post='1717968']
1338672374[/url]' post='1717210']

Oceanside? Marine?

CH-53 crew chief from 83-87. Civilian now, living in Oceanside for the surf.

• 2 weeks later...

Make your dry fire routine difficult. When I first started I practiced with 3 full size targets at 10 and 15 yards. I quickly added 1/4 scale targets and poppers and added flash cards to the full size targets for a smaller area of aim. I also spend a lot of time practicing head shots, draws to head, transition to/from head. Keep and open mind and you'll be amazed at what you learn. If you can video yourself do that as well. You will learn a lot.

Practice transitions, wide transitions, close/far transitions, far/close transitions with a focus on snapping your eyes. Table starts, weak hand transition, Burkett reloads and tons of movement. I transition from my bar area array, move down the wall to the furnace room, transition further down to another closet and/ or bathroom. I practice barricades by starting on the wall adjacent to a door opening on left and right side. I close the door and practice acquiring targets after opening the door.

I've created three different routines from Steve's two books that i rotate between. If you want a copy of the routines send me a PM.

Make your dry fire routine difficult. When I first started I practiced with 3 full size targets at 10 and 15 yards. I quickly added 1/4 scale targets and poppers and added flash cards to the full size targets for a smaller area of aim. I also spend a lot of time practicing head shots, draws to head, transition to/from head. Keep and open mind and you'll be amazed at what you learn. If you can video yourself do that as well. You will learn a lot.

Practice transitions, wide transitions, close/far transitions, far/close transitions with a focus on snapping your eyes. Table starts, weak hand transition, Burkett reloads and tons of movement. I transition from my bar area array, move down the wall to the furnace room, transition further down to another closet and/ or bathroom. I practice barricades by starting on the wall adjacent to a door opening on left and right side. I close the door and practice acquiring targets after opening the door.

I've created three different routines from Steve's two books that i rotate between. If you want a copy of the routines send me a PM.

Sent you a PM, very interested in your routines. Thanks!

I can't practice what I preach anymore because airsoft got banned in my city, Oceanside, CA :angry2:

That's ridiculous! surprise.gif

Sorry everybody, I just had to say it.

It is quite ridiculous. In fact, after I had posted my comment, I decided to dust off my old airsoft gun and try it out in my apartment setting. So far so good. None of my neighbors have called the cops yet. I’ve been practicing transitions and movements with the airsoft gun in my apartment. Luckily, my downstairs neighbor works late, so my running from box to box hasn’t caused any problems.