Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I give up on my 550B powder measure

It's official, I cannot get the measure to throw 24 grains of H335 or any other weight repeatedly for my 223. So I have to resize and prime on the 550, pull the case from the next station and dump the powder from my RCBS Chargemaster into the case, put it back on the seating station and finish the round. I've adjusted it per instructions, but no go. I bought my 550B for pistol and 223 but it looks like I'll just be using it for pistol. I'm pretty disgusted right now.

post-18873-0-28772600-1338646033_thumb.g

Is it new? If so you might have to swop out the powder charge bar for the Large powder bar charge... See if that works. When I 1st got mine that is what I had to do for my setup for 223.. Good luck!

Thanks for the idea. I bought it new a few years ago, I guess at this point it won't hurt to try the larger bar. The powder measure is a "by guess or by golly" setup. Baaaaaadddd.

I say it's that bar for sure, a few weeks back started loading on my 550 also for my AR when it came to setting the powder drop it wasn't passing 23.? I too was like wtf started.messing with the wing but for it no go! Took a few min and regrouped and started from the begining and noticed my setup for my 44mag then it hit me :blush: I had swiped that bar out to get too 23 gr. changed it out drops H335 with no problem now..

I don't load 223 but have found that, whenever possible, to use the large bar. Even when I load 12-19grs I use large instead of small. I only use small when loading less than 10 grs. More consistent results. YMMV

Once you get the powder issue solved I would recommend buying separate Quick Change Kits for the calibers you load the most. The time saved in not having to reinvent the wheel with each caliber change makes it well worth the money. I have tool heads setup for my most common calibers and one that is used for various others that I do not reload on a regular basis.

Edited by retarmyaviator

I checked and I've got the large bar already installed. I noticed the bell crank screw was snug but not really tight, maybe that was the problem. I'll keep trying, but I never said I was a genius.

I know this is very simple, but are you giving the powder enough time to drain into the case? It seems like I have to wait an awfully long time compared to loading pistol cartridges.

H335 should be measuring near perfectly. As most of the other posters said, use the large powder bar, give the cartridge a chance to fill up (take note how long it takes to dump a charge of powder out of the case), make sure you don't have a static problem and make sure your bench and machine is mounted solidly and there is no wobbling!

I've never heard of someone having problems with H335 in their powder measure if there wasn't something else wrong.

Ok, I know this sounds strange but while looking at the powder drop & fail safe rod, be sure the rod is coming in from the left side of the measure. It always looks backwards to me but if it comes in from the right, I get inconsistent drops.

YMMV

MLM

I have a quick change kit for all calibers. I'm using the large bar always in my 223. I'll make sure everything is screwed in tight. After that I'm at a loss.

Give Dillon tech support a call on Monday, they will walk you through the problem. Who knows they may decide something is wrong with the measure and send you a new one. Its happened before.

I have a quick change kit for all calibers. I'm using the large bar always in my 223. I'll make sure everything is screwed in tight. After that I'm at a loss.

Give Dillon tech support a call on Monday, they will walk you through the problem. Who knows they may decide something is wrong with the measure and send you a new one. Its happened before.

Thank you I will. That sounds like the best answer.

I switched powder measures with one of mine I've hardly used in a different caliber. Set it up for 223 and guess what? I throws any charge I set it at with absolute repeatability. I'm happy for now, I'll call Dillon and see what they say about the other powder measure. Thanks for all the suggestions. This is an awesome website.

That sounds good. Just by chance did you check to see if that small white plastic square had not fallen out of the mechanism?

No it was there. I just don't know what part is defective, but I put a new large powder bar in the unit I swapped the other large bar from, so that should take care of any future problems with other calibers.

Let us know what you come up with. I may sound dumb... I'd put it back on the machine and see if it throws well. That will tell you if the failsafe was adjusted correctly. Not really anything to go wrong with that powder measure. I don't tighten the two allen bolts that hold it on all the way up. That way it will seek its' own position and flop a little thus filling the bar fully and not binding the fs rod. Some spots on the measure require grease and I place a small amount of oil on the failsafe rod top bend.

• 2 weeks later...