Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safer powder and primer storage

Kyreb

Like my grandparents who lived through the Great Depression, I scraped through the component shortages of the Clinton years and vowed to never get caught without again. Unknowlingly, I became a bit of a "hoarder" of stuff over the past couple of decades. I'd pick up some primers or powder at most shows or a big match and just put much of it back somewhere for "safe keeping".

I went to the big gun show this weekend and stocked upsome more.

I was so proud of myself for for laying in "Obama re-election insurance" until my wife unit asked me just how safe having that stuff in a townhome really is. :surprise:

I did an inventory and while I do not want to publish exact details, it is safe to say I probably have a lifetime supply laid in.

I have looked into the "U Store it" places to find no flammable or hazmat material is allowed. Flammable storage cabinets run a grand or better plus shipping. I have no outside space available to build anything.

I am looking for suggestions as I doubt I am alone out there. Short of a reloaders yard sale ......anybody have any ideas regarding safer storage of this stuff? And yes, I am reloading and shooting as much as I can and still stay married. B)

In Canada, our powders and primers are supposed to be stored in containers with the following specs:

3/4" wood box constructed with non-ferrous fittings.

A bigger concern might be your insurance. I contacted my insurance company when I first started stockpiling components and was told its fine as long as they are stored legally.

Our storage regulations are also different if you live in an attached home or townhouse.

Edited by Onagoth

I have a small closet in my house that is mostly a pain in the neck for public use and is the perfect size for storage of reloading supplies. The closet was already finished in drywall which is a fire barrier, so I just took some 1/8" steel and re-lined the interior. Abracadabra Boom Closet! Total investment- $80.00 steel and 3 hours. You don't have to be handy, just determined.

Place a thin wood barrier between each level of primer boxes. This will prevent weight compression. Store powder separate from the primers. No bang no boom. The containers for the powder are safe. Don't store next to your radiators or electrics. I usually store my powder and primers under the guest bed for when the mother-in-law comes to stay. :D

Hello: Go to a used office equipment store and see what they have. A cheap storage is an old style steel file cabinet(thicker steel). Get one with a lock and put it in a closet or the garage. I have a friend who bought a used fire proof 2 drawer file cabinet for $50. It even has a lock with key :surprise: Or you could buy another gun safe. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

For those of you who think you are being safe by storing in metal, or lining metal cabinets and such...NO. Certainly do not store in a firesafe! I worked an explosion several years back due to 1 pound of powder in a firesafe, totalled the house. You have created a more hazardous condition by containing the pressure! Storage cabinets made for the purpose have baffles and vents.

Thick cardboard, particle board, OSB, plywood, in that order, are preferable. Drywall is okay, multiple layer drywall, a bit more risky as is quality plywood.

I started to write an article about this subject but realized no-one would want to publish it because of the inherant risks both politically and from an insurance perspective.

Read the articles in the links Tom posted.

The actual applicable statutes for most jurisidctions are published by NFPA.