Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

School me on a good string trimmer

My Stihl starts easy. Well, actually, I haven't ran it yet this year...but it always has started easily. Like everything, you don't want old fuel mix sitting in it all for long periods of non use (winter).

I run mine on TiteGroup...just like everything else! :roflol:

I have a Stihl blower, and an Echo trimmer. I bought the Echo because it was on sale for a great price (I think I paid 175 for a straight shaft unit), and has a 5 year warranty. The thing has been fantastic, and is honestly a bit easier starting than my Stihl blower, and the blower was just serviced this spring. If I had to do it all over again, I'd absolutely buy another Echo over the Stihl, but I can't say I'm going to get rid of the Stihl blower for an Echo either. And by easier to start, I mean I pull the rope twice on the trimmer, flip to half choke, and it fires right up. The blower I have to pull anywhere from 3-5 times before flipping to half choke. Neither one are horribly difficult, just the Echo is slightly easier. My 2 cents.

I purchased a new Stihl at the couple of months back and love it. Starts easy, runs smooth an quiet with lots of power. , quiet, runs smooth, EZ start is great and plenty of power. Bought the 6 pack of 2 cycle mix and it doubled the warranty.

I'll also put my .02 in for Stihl. My old FS80 is still going strong after 7 years. I bought a new FS100 last year, so I could have one with a blade and one with a sting head too. Just figured I'd gotten my money out of the first one. I've also got a blower and a BIG 24" bar saw. None of them have ever let me down. And my wife can start the blower, you have NO idea how HUGE that is. :devil:

I have 3 Echo's all run fine, but I use RoundUp. I miss spending hours of back breaking weeding eating, using up one of those BIG SPOOLS every few months, and burning gallons of fuel, and what I miss most is winding that fxxxing string, it don't last long with over a 1000 ft of chain link fence. When you burn a gallon of mix every time you do the yard, I'd say they are taxi tested tuff, after 10 years.

120+ oak trees with brick circles around them, lots of shrub beds, yard art, Rakes, Cyele bar mowers, old Tractor etc.

Here is a pic of my Kubota weed eater, starts right up but has a timer that won't let it run on weekends when there is a match to Shoot.:roflol:

Stihl is well worth every penny.

+1

I used to do groundskeeping at a 48 acre active living retirement community. We had 3 guys on our groundskeeping crew and only used Stihl. It was all extremely reliable, easy to start and it was very rare that we had to replace anything. Stihl all the way!

I wonder what others consider easy to start. My sales rep at the store told me to do 4 pumps of the fuel priming bubble and 4 cranks with the choke on and 4 pumps and 4 cranks with the choke off to heat up the engine. It always starts on that last pull as expected. Are the other brands build differently? Is that the normal protocol for a small 2 stroke engine?

Hmmm. Just started the trimmer last Sunday after sitting all winter. Poked the primer bulb a few times, closed the choke,

set the throttle, and pulled it once. Running. Stihl FS-90. That's "easy to start" to me.

Another recommendation for Stihl! I've bad mine for 4 years now and still runs great. Has always started easy. My dad has had his brush cutter/weed eater for at least 15 years and it's still going strong!

I have a landscaping company in Central Florida. My equipment makes me money and all I have is Echo. Easy to maintain and they last forever. From weed eaters to edgers, you just can't beat em. Come September you can buy used stuff on Craigslist for next to nothing in my area. Just about all my employees cut lawns on weekends and they all have bought there used Echo equipment on Craigslist. Guess there boss doesn't pay them enough to buy new.