Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

223 55gr. MG bullet with cannelure

MARKAVELI

I am trying to copy AE Ammo 55hec that is what seems to feed through my DPMS AR 15 18in barrel with a 1: 9 twist.. Hodgson says 223Rem 25.3gr. 55Gr. Bullets with col @2.200" and thats what AE factory ammo col measures. I am trying to copy it with MG bullets mix brass with 23gr h335 & rem rifle primers small.. When I go to seat the mg bulletin the same c.o.a.l the bullets seats the cannelure deeper then ae...both bullera are the same length and weight as well as diameter, the only difference is the mg bullets is lower then the ae bullets. My question is that safe? Thanks in advance..

Montana 55gr. Bullets on left and a pulled American eagle on the right.

post-24363-0-96227100-1338002669_thumb.j

Edited by MARKAVELI

Do you trim all of your cases uniformly

No, the brass was new and shot through my AR before. I case gage the resized casings allow is flushed. Do you think trimming might need to happen? New to reloading for rifle(AR15).

If your brass is within case gauge spec and doesn't need trimming, seat to a OAL just within the cannulure and you'll be good.

My C.O.A.l is 2.250, they seem to get hung up after it fires & ejects a cartridge and a round is about to chamber... :blink:

I think you need to make sure you close to trim length after you size. Sure sounds like your long to me. For an AR, Seating deep is really irrelevant for cannulure bullets as long as you within the cannulure itself. I load 55g SPs that have a cannulure for my bolt gun just under long enough that the cannulure is completely exposed, no crimp. It's a tack driver load at .3 MOA and under 1 inch at 200 yards.

Make sure you're using small base dies for the AR. Clean the chamber of the rifle with a chamber brush. Load to overall length of 2.250.

If your having hard extraction problems, don't load to maximum pressure. You could be having a problem with over-pressure that is driving the bolt/carrier out of battery too early, especially if it is a carbine. May need a mid-length gas tube.

Make sure you're using small base dies for the AR. Clean the chamber of the rifle with a chamber brush. Load to overall length of 2.250.

If your having hard extraction problems, don't load to maximum pressure. You could be having a problem with over-pressure that is driving the bolt/carrier out of battery too early, especially if it is a carbine. May need a mid-length gas tube.

At 23g of H335 at 2.250 he isn't even at minimum

So I had a chance to experiment with my loads shot 200 reloaded rounds and all but 6 had with no issue, the others have had the bullet heads set back in the casing... 23gr. H335 c.o.a.l 2.200" @ 26?? fps (I don't have my crono info with me) I still have minor issues with it not feeding right snot 10 time's it would jam.. Was talkin with a friend said it sounds like a issue with the bolt assembly might not giving that extra ummmph to kick the casing out! (FYI)

• 3 weeks later...

So I had a chance to experiment with my loads shot 200 reloaded rounds and all but 6 had with no issue, the others have had the bullet heads set back in the casing... 23gr. H335 c.o.a.l 2.200" @ 26?? fps (I don't have my crono info with me) I still have minor issues with it not feeding right snot 10 time's it would jam.. Was talkin with a friend said it sounds like a issue with the bolt assembly might not giving that extra ummmph to kick the casing out! (FYI)

The solution is to re-order new MG 55g bullets with the new higher cannelure. The old cannelure could not be used and loaded to proper OAL spec.

I had them re-design them so that they could be loaded to spec. They have them ready to ship as of today.

Edited by Trident

So what should be done with the current (older / lower) canalured bullets?

The solution is to re-order new MG 55g bullets with the new higher cannelure. The old cannelure could not be used and loaded to proper OAL spec.

I had them re-design them so that they could be loaded to spec. They have them ready to ship as of today.

One other possible cause of your jams is that your loads may be too light to make the bolt carrier operate properly. According to Sierra Data for an AR the mininum powder weight for H335 is 23.6 g. It may be worth slowly increased the powder weight, watching for pressure signs of course.

Steve

One other possible cause of your jams is that your loads may be too light to make the bolt carrier operate properly. According to Sierra Data for an AR the mininum powder weight for H335 is 23.6 g. It may be worth slowly increased the powder weight, watching for pressure signs of course.

Steve

+1

With 22.9gr H335 and Hornady 55s, I got an average of just under 2600 fps out of my 16" CTR-02, which is around 300 fps less than Am Eagle out of the same gun.

My testing showed fairly linear 150 fps / grain H335 in this span, so I was at Am Eagle velocities at around 25gr.

Edited by gose

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for your reply, i did shoot the rest 800 bullets through my AR with fewer issues to none regardless of where the cannelure and c.o.a.l spec.. i did order a few more thousand bullets ..

Steve

i beleave i have found the problem. a legal class 3 conversion kit was added to the AR and the bolt was too long and had been swopt out for a shorter bolt carrier.. as it was chambering a round it would hit the spent casing as it was being ejected. i still shot the bullets with out a broblem through the AR c.o.a.l 2.200 23.0gr.H335 no problems, thanks for your help..

Steve

+1

With 22.9gr H335 and Hornady 55s, I got an average of just under 2600 fps out of my 16" CTR-02, which is around 300 fps less than Am Eagle out of the same gun.

My testing showed fairly linear 150 fps / grain H335 in this span, so I was at Am Eagle velocities at around 25gr.

what style 55gr Hornady bullets? i tried the vmaxx but the c.o.a.l was to long and would give me feeding problems.. i am a fan of Hornady bullets would like to still see if i can tweek it to safly shoot through my AR, thanks for your reply..

If your bolt carrier is not the same length as any other it means it was done by the previous owner. No company sells a shorter carrier, some sell low mass but none that are shorter. That would still not make up for a bolt that was to long. That is your first problem. Replace it with a bcg of known quality like bcm, Daniel defense, noveske, or any of the companies who make a mil-spec bcg. DPMS never has made any ar that meets mil-spec standards. Your load is way to lite as well average charge weight for a 55fmj is 25 grains. Your diagnosis is wrong the empty is not hitting the cartridge being loaded. Cartridge is ejected long before it attempts to feed from the magazine. I tried to measure a carrier but they are longer than my six inch calipers. Another thing to check is your extractor it may fix your extraction problems.

emptyquote name='jstone' timestamp='1341985033' post='1740908']

If your bolt carrier is not the same length as any other it means it was done by the previous owner. No company sells a shorter carrier, some sell low mass but none that are shorter. That would still not make up for a bolt that was to long. That is your first problem. Replace it with a bcg of known quality like bcm, Daniel defense, noveske, or any of the companies who make a mil-spec bcg. DPMS never has made any ar that meets mil-spec standards. Your load is way to lite as well average charge weight for a 55fmj is 25 grains. Your diagnosis is wrong the empty is not hitting the cartridge being loaded. Cartridge is ejected long before it attempts to feed from the magazine. I tried to measure a carrier but they are longer than my six inch calipers. Another thing to check is your extractor it may fix your extraction problems.

This is true no AR manufacturer sells a shorter carrier. I meant to say I had added a class 3 conversion kit before hand and from what I was told from the gun smith where I purchased the Ar and conversion kit said that the carrier was ?? Of an inch bit too long. He said that because of the length of the carrier is a bit longer that it was chambering a round before it was ejecting the empty.. I am still tweaking my load I will bump up my powder drop to 25.0gr. I will consider the extractor a problem and pay more attention to it when I hot the range. Thank you for your reply Jstone..

If it is doing what the smith said you may have problems with the ejector. As the carrier move reward the ejector pushes the case out. Do you have another rifle that you could swap the bcg out in the rifle that is malfunctioning if you do try it for a magazine. If the carrier was made shorter the smith has no idea what he is doing. What was the class three conversion was id an rdias or was it a lightning link. Both sometimes have timing issues but removing material from the carrier is not the way to time it. Check your extractor tension and the ejector tension. They should both have enough tension that you should not be able to move them easily by hand. If you do have the money order a bcg from bcm they are 149.99. I have a feeling the smith really messed something up.