Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

krylon as rust preventative

Mat Price

Just got my slide machined and I can't send it off to hard chrome for a while. I have used krylon paints on bunches of rifles I am thinking of spraying the slide with some krylon. since it comes off so easy nothing but a soak in acetone over night. what yall think.

Ive been shooting my open gun in the white for a couple of months. I just wipe it down with a little oil and no rust. Last year I went the whole season on my other gun in the white with no problems either.

Whether you can shoot it "in the white" for a while depends on the definition of "in the white". S_I guns come with some sort of coating on them that prevents rust to a certain extent. If you machine on them (cutting serrations, lightening, etc.), you cut through that and get it "raw" steel. That stuff will rust with quickness.

I have painted a gun before. I sent a new single-stack Super off to the bluer before the Nationals in 89. I was promised that it would be back with time to spare. I kept calling the guy and getting the "I'm gonna fire up the tanks tomorrow". Finally, two days before I had to leave, I went to his shop and picked up my still-white gun. Painted it black with Krylon and survived the match. Eventually, it got blued....

Yeah Braxton I had the front cocking serrations removed before the slide cuts where put on. Then we cut the top for poppe holes and ball milled a nice channel. The other thing is I live on the beach in waveland ms. Dude Everything rusts here with the quickness cause of the high salt content in the air. Yeah I think it's going to get a coat today

Spray it and call it Krylonite and people will beat your down down to get it done.

It'd probably be about as durable in a Kydex hoster as some of the other "gun coatings" out there.... :-)

• 1 month later...

I just did the same thing, my limited gun rusts quick because of where I live, and haven't had time to get it refinished this season. So I decided to go the krylon route just for now. I also put a clear coat on it to give it a little extra durability.