Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best reloading press?

Lurkin

I helped a friend set up a 650 he inherited from his uncle, and I was amazed at the large number of itty-bitty parts ™. While I liked the way the Dillon worked, that was its biggest flaw, in my not so humble opinion. I advised him to order a spare parts set immediately, in case something went wrong. That turned out to be prescient, as he had a problem with the auto index right after I left, which we traced to the little tomahawk-looking part under the shellplate. Luckily he had a spare, but it could have held him up for a week or so.

YMMV, as I've never heard from a Dillon owner who hated their press.

:sight:

The tiny parts thing is a strength and a weakness. Its a strength to have special parts that make each caliber run correctly on your machine. Other brand presses make one part fit all and end up not working correctly or only works for certain calibers and cause continual tinkering. As always More parts = more money, more to break and more spare parts on hand and longer caliber changes.

Edited by ScottyPotty

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dillon 650 does have a lot of parts. They make the press work. Not a difficult concept. Having owned all the major competitors to the 650 I would say Dillon got it right with the 650. Nothing is ideal. I did add a roller bearing to the shell plate, Tweaked the the ejector wire because the roller bearing made the wire work at a weird angle, added a plastic tube over the ski ramp to prevent primers from falling off the ramp and added a discharge tube to the spent primer setup to catch the primers in a empty 8 lb powder jug. Like that the press runs great. It didn't "need" any of those things but I sure like it as it's setup.

Like many of the people are saying dillon is hard to beat the only thing is that they are quite expensive to get into initially. I have a hornady lnl and I really like it, it's definitely not a dillon 650 (which is what a friend of mine uses and loves) but, for the cost, ease of use, quick interchangeability, and simple design it's tough to beat. Especially considering it's easily 1/3 the price of a comparable dillon. With all this in mind and only pressing approximately 500 rounds a month per caliber (9mm and 40s&w) my vote definitely goes to the hornady lnl.

I started with a Lee classic turret and moved on to a Dillon 650. Love the Dillon. I still use the Lee for smaller things but the Dillon is awesome for larger quantities. For me, the turret press just took too long for the time I had and number I wanted to produce. I have no experience with the loadmaster, but have read many reviews and it is hit or miss. Most all reviews for the dillon are positive. It is a big investment at first but well worth it.

I've been casting and laoding since 1982 and currently own every loader I ever purchased. RCBS(2), Lyman(2), Mec(3), Pacific(1), Star(1), and Dillon((6). However, I only use the two Dillon SL900's, two 1050's, one 650, and one 550 right now. Blessed indeed. :cheers:

Knowing what I know now...I would advise you to buy a Dillon from Brian Enos! :bow::bow::bow:

I've been casting and laoding since 1982 and currently own every loader I ever purchased. RCBS(2), Lyman(2), Mec(3), Pacific(1), Star(1), and Dillon((6). However, I only use the two Dillon SL900's, two 1050's, one 650, and one 550 right now. Blessed indeed. :cheers:

Knowing what I know now...I would advise you to buy a Dillon from Brian Enos! :bow::bow::bow:

I found out it's a lot cheaper to just buy the dillon the first time than buy something else first because it's cheaper, then take a big loss selling it later to buy the dillon which has gone up 3 times because you waited 3 years.

550 is a great place to start, it's versatle enough to handle many tasks that you might want a single stage press to do. Mine is older than dirt loading many thousands of rounds over the years. Short runs with lots of caliber changes it's still a good way to go.

650 quite a bit faster and should be purchased with the case feeder, strong mount and bullet tray which will double costs over the 550. Dillon presses hold value are excellent in design and Dillon service is outstanding. They sent new linkage for my 550 last year and the machine is over twenty five years old.

I prefer other die sets but big blue is top of the line on presses and service.

I guess the only question I'd ask the Dillon folks is if they've ever owned or even tried a Hornady or RCBS.

I've used a Dillon, after having owned a Hornady for several years, and didn't find anything there worth giving up what was familiar. Not a bad press, and one I would certainly recommend, but not for me. I can't offer an opinion on RCBS, having only owned their single stage presses. I cannot recommend a Lee.

I often get from Dillon owners, "Dillon is the best." No qualifications, no comparisons. Almost as if Sheldon Cooper had spoken, thus it was and was not an opinion--it was a fact. I haven't ever heard a Dillon owner admit, however, that they'd even tried anything else. That means there's no basis for comparison, and they're making an unfounded assertion based on no control group and limited empirical evidence.

:sight:

*shrugs* OK, I bought a Hornady and it's never had a major issue. So, if I did indeed make a mistake, it's been a pretty good one.

I liken this discussion to the discussion people have about GLOCKs. GLOCK nuts tell you you're wrong if you don't own a GLOCK. Dillon nuts tell you you're wrong if you don't own a Dillon.

I happen to think they're wrong--go with what works for you. When I purchased my Hornady, I didn't have the $600+ to purchase a 650, so I didn't. On reflection, I'm glad I didn't, because there are things about the Dillon I don't like, and those don't likes are big enough to make me not want to purchase one. But I don't go around bad-mouthing Dillon for being expensive or telling anyone they're wrong for not buying a Hornady. I point out the features and limitations of both machines and let the advice seeker and prospective buyer arrive at their own conclusion.

So, if you're close-minded enough to tell people they're wrong for owning or considering anything but a Dillon, I'm here to tell you YOU'RE wrong. Extoll the virtues of your press all you want, but when you tell someone they're wrong for not making the same decision you made, you're making a value judgment on that person when they've just invested a significant amount of cash on something they hope works (and probably will, as long as it's not a Lee Loadmaster). That's why you're wrong.

Well, I was a complete newb when it came to reloading and I went against a lot of the advice and started with a 1050 (actually two) from the get go. Granted, I have not tried anything else, but I could not imagine loading on anything but a 1050 especially for high volume reloading of military cases. There is a relatively steep learning curve, but this forum and Dillon helped me get up and running with very few glitches. The only downside was the high start up cost, but now I am shooting loads tuned to each of my guns. I load all of my 3gun match ammo on it and it has served me better than factory match grade ammo.

I got a Lee progressive many years ago and it has produced a lot of bullets along with a lot of aggravation. It was all I could afford and without it I never would have been able to shoot as much as I do. That being said, as soon as I can afford it, Ill be moving up to a Dillon.

My 650 runs perfect on every caliber except for 9mm, I have to watch the ejector wire when loading 9mm and make sure the case drops, but all other calibers it runs flawlessly. It pumps out .45 at an insane rate and at not much more expense than 9mm.

• 2 weeks later...

<SNIP>

I didn't have the $600+ to purchase a 650, so I didn't. On reflection, I'm glad I didn't, because there are things about the Dillon I don't like, and those don't likes are big enough to make me not want to purchase one. But I don't go around bad-mouthing Dillon for being expensive or telling anyone they're wrong for not buying a Hornady. I point out the features and limitations of both machines and let the advice seeker and prospective buyer arrive at their own conclusion.

<SNIP>

FRAG

I agree with you (and everybody else) about the exorbitant (as Rush would say - CONFISCATORY) price. But on down the road, I know I'll get most if not all my $$$$ back. And knowing that this precision machine will turn out uncountable precision bullets, I'm quite comfortable with my decision to go with the D650 as my first progressive press. (GAWD, I hate referring to anything concerning SHOOTING as "progressive", especially when those gun-hating/grabbing libs are now calling themselves progressive)

You mention this - "there are things about the Dillon I don't like".

Tell us what those things are. Not that I'm looking for something to diss you about, but I have ideas which I think are great. However, others offer advice which makes me realize that maybe (some of) my ideas might just not be so great, after all. I'd like to know what to look for/be aware of when using my 650. I can't say I'd be all that anxious to trade it for anything else but as another close friend once said, something about "inquiring minds want to know".

Well, I don't care for the powder measure bar adjustment, for starters. I think it's difficult to adjust easily.

I don't care for the fact it's designed to need a new powder measure every time you switch calibers--those things are frickin' expensive.

I don't like the primer feed mechanism, as it flips a lot of primers. I say "a lot," but my Hornady hasn't flipped a single primer with the thousands of rounds I've loaded with it. *knocks on wood*

I mentioned before, I don't care for all of the little pieces that go with the press, too much stuff to lose. Yes, I realize there's a no-BS policy, but you have to order a $30 spare parts kit right off the bat to ensure it doesn't crap out when you need it most.

Having said that, I admit I've not used a Dillon for any length of time, so I have only made observations based on the catalog and helping a friend set up his.

I have had two Dillon presses and both are great,,I have been helping another shooter set up one of those red Mach.and my $.02 I would never buy one.I don't like any thing about it.

Ok Frag, which one of your relatives works for Hornady?

It takes no more than 3 minutes to adjust the powder measure to a new charge weight and most of that time is weighing the charge, not adjusting the machine.

"I don't care for the fact it's designed to need a new powder measure every time you switch calibers--those things are frickin' expensive." Frag316

The above statement in quotations is simply dead wrong and completly false. One powder measure is all you'll ever need. Some of us buy extra toolheads and powder measures so we can change calibers in 90 seconds or less and continue loading. Your dies are in the toolhead and already adjusted. Lately, I buy a new machine for every caliber I load. :^)

13,000+ rounds on my 650 and I've never had a flipped primer.

Didn't buy the spare parts kit and have never needed a spare part.

Well, I don't care for the powder measure bar adjustment, for starters. I think it's difficult to adjust easily.

I don't care for the fact it's designed to need a new powder measure every time you switch calibers--those things are frickin' expensive.

I don't like the primer feed mechanism, as it flips a lot of primers. I say "a lot," but my Hornady hasn't flipped a single primer with the thousands of rounds I've loaded with it. *knocks on wood*

I mentioned before, I don't care for all of the little pieces that go with the press, too much stuff to lose. Yes, I realize there's a no-BS policy, but you have to order a $30 spare parts kit right off the bat to ensure it doesn't crap out when you need it most.

Having said that, I admit I've not used a Dillon for any length of time, so I have only made observations based on the catalog and helping a friend set up his.

I would have agreed with you if you said any of the following:

Case activated priming - no primers advancing without a case present. Both the Lee loadmaster and the LNL have this feature.

The spent primer catch should be up graded.

The snapping of the shell plate as it enters into position could be smoothed out

finger adjustment or just add a round knob on the charge bars so you dont have to use a wrench.

come up with a way to shut off the case feed tube down on the press. I currently use a piece of bent hanger wire to hold closed the spring operated gate (that when open drops a new case into the press)

power measurer safety rod and linkage needs improved - I took off mine and just use springs.

use more of the same size nuts/bolts so you dont need 50 different size wrenches or hex keys.

You dont need a new power measurer for each tool head, you loosen 2 small screws with an allen wrench and the PM comes off and on to the power die on you next tool head. It only takes about a min for the changeover. I havent had any issues with primers flipping - now you have to load them correctly or you will get upside down primers. You do not have to buy the spare parts kit, I never did and I have two 650s.

Edited by ScottyPotty

None. The only connection I have with Hornady are the products I buy for them.

*shrugs* The press is designed for you to buy a powder measure every time you buy a toolhead. Whether you choose to go along with that is irrelevant, and my statement stands on its face. Dillon's catalogs prove that by the pictures they show of the toolhead stand, where it has all of the dies and a powder measure on it. I didn't say you HAD TO buy a new measure, simply that it was DESIGNED that way. You can post a retraction, but I won't hold my breath.

Glad you haven't had a flipped primer. I saw a comparison in a magazine (think it was Front Sight, but I don't remember for sure) where they looked at three presses, and Hornady was the only press without a flipped primer. When I helped my friend set up his, he had half a dozen flipped primers in the first 100 rounds.

I'm glad you've never needed a spare parts kit, but I know plenty of Dillon owners who have.