Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Standard division box

jimbullet

Hi,

A question please on standard division. I understand from the IPSC rule book that the pistol with an empty magazine inserted must fit the IPSC box, size of which is 225mmx150mm (hope I got this right). I've also read that the rear sights may be pushed down to fit the box.

In the IPSC website, it had further commented a tolerance of +1mm, 0mm. So does that mean that the pistol could actually be 226mmx151mm in size?

The reason for me asking is that the pistol which I intend to compete with has the novak extreme duty rear sight on it and due to its configuration with the rear sight having a shroud on the sides actually prevent the rear sight from being pushed down and so my pistol does not appear to fit the box by around 1mm simply because the side shrouds of the rear side is sticking out roughly by 1mm.

I thought of filing it slightly but I fear damaging the rear sight so not too keen on this.

So my question goes, will that pass standard division?

I thought of filing the base of the magazine but that is already appearing really flat as it angled already for the entire base to be flat on the box. If I shave off from there, it would be the entire magazine base plate and not just the front of it though...

I suppose that is much better than filing the rear sight, so does that mean there is no actual tolerance of 1mm as shown on the IPSC rules for standard?

I suppose that is much better than filing the rear sight, so does that mean there is no actual tolerance of 1mm as shown on the IPSC rules for standard?

As Nik has correctly stated, the tolerance is for manufacturing of the the box. You might meet a 225.0001x150.0001cm CNC-milled box at a match, and your gun would have to fit that.

I thought of filing the base of the magazine but that is already appearing really flat as it angled already for the entire base to be flat on the box. If I shave off from there, it would be the entire magazine base plate and not just the front of it though...

Here is an example of a commercial basepad intended for the IPSC market

Later,

Chuck

Yes, Chuck,

My magazine base pad does look similar to the picture you have attached and it does lie absolutely flat on the box squarely while my sights are but just scratching the top.

I tried to a different way to angling the pistol to get in the box and I managed to get it in, though with a bit of an effort, as in very very tight.

Just wanting to know if your guns are also tightly fitting the box or should I really shave off some metal somewhere still?

As has been mentioned the +1 is only for the box itself. You should not count on having such a margin in matches.

I would want to have a gun which fits a 250.000000mm x 150.00000mm x 45.00000mm box. If it doesnt fit now, I'ld modify the gun or find some new basepads.

Also beware that the gun must be placed in the box with the barrel parallel to the 250mm side in the box. Angled placement in the box to make it fit, is NOT legal