Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

It's all the fundamentals...

The more I shoot the more I go back and work on the fundamentals. I know it's cliche but so true. I've been working on my draw lately... and it's so hard to get a really consistent draw/grip. When I get a bad one it always effects my time or my hits. Damn it's so hard.

The more I shoot the more I go back and work on the fundamentals. I know it's cliche but so true. I've been working on my draw lately... and it's so hard to get a really consistent draw/grip. When I get a bad one it always effects my time or my hits. Damn it's so hard.

the other day i couldn't realize why when i drew on 5 steel, i was having a hard time. i was rapidly firing off shots, but it was taking like 8 or 9 shots for 5 steel.

i started shooting paper and realized i'm not a very good shot. :roflol: i spent about 75 rounds shooting groups until i was happy with it and went back to drill 1. 5/5 everytime.

i have a love/HATE relationship with the fundamentals.

And It wasn't until I bought Captain of Crush grippers that I realized just how deficient my grip was.........

Ah, the list goes on. However after I finally realized that imperfect fundamentals cannot be rectified by special loads, different powders, firing pin stop radius, and different springs, I was able to make some improvement.

It's not the arrow.

The more I shoot the more I NEED to focus on the fundamentals. Without constant physical focus the fundamentals just deteriorate with each round downrange - the whole practice makes permanent but only perfect practice makes perfect deal.

With drawing, the faster I try going the worse my fundamentals get, resulting in superflous motion and slower times. Focusing on going fast - or without even trying, if I'm just amped up on adrenalin going into a stage - my hand movement backward to access overshoots the position of the tang on the pistol resulting in my coming out of the holster with a low grip. Rather than focusing on speed I focus instead on what I term, "short drawing", concentrating on the feel of the pistol against the side of my body while awaiting the buzzer and limiting my hand movement to the shortest travel necessary to access the grip. Changing my visualization from speed to shortening my movement promotes economy of motion producing a more consistent grip, faster raw times, and better hits on target.

Take this with a grain of salt however Lugnut as I'm no better a shooter than you (in fact, far worse with a revo), and struggle with the same challenges.

The more I shoot the more I NEED to focus on the fundamentals. Without constant physical focus the fundamentals just deteriorate with each round downrange - the whole practice makes permanent but only perfect practice makes perfect deal.

With drawing, the faster I try going the worse my fundamentals get, resulting in superflous motion and slower times. Focusing on going fast - or without even trying, if I'm just amped up on adrenalin going into a stage - my hand movement backward to access overshoots the position of the tang on the pistol resulting in my coming out of the holster with a low grip. Rather than focusing on speed I focus instead on what I term, "short drawing", concentrating on the feel of the pistol against the side of my body while awaiting the buzzer and limiting my hand movement to the shortest travel necessary to access the grip. Changing my visualization from speed to shortening my movement promotes economy of motion producing a more consistent grip, faster raw times, and better hits on target.

Take this with a grain of salt however Lugnut as I'm no better a shooter than you (in fact, far worse with a revo), and struggle with the same challenges.

Funny, I've realized this same thing and have been focusing more on that during my draw practices lately.

...edited to say that I focus on that during my hands relaxed at sides draw practice. All the others I'm still figuring out, lol. (above shoulders, on head, on X's from various positions, etc..)

Edited by facelessman

Maybe there is a rush to get the fastest time and the fundamentals get thrown out of the window. What I try doing is cementing the fundamentals in my drills and work on increasing the speed over time. This has worked very well for me. I have improved from the accurate slow shooter to one of the faster shooters on my team.

Better to get a solid grip and lose a fraction of a second on the first shot, then to shoot with a bad grip and get a marginal hit if not a miss. Relearned that one tonight. Take an extra 1/10 of a second to get a solid grip and I have 2 alphas in the same time as a marginal grip gives me an alpha charlie just because I can reduce the split times by .03 seconds. Spread that across several targets and it all adds up.

Generally speaking, I think we have the basics of the fundamentals but at different levels. Meaning GM's have it down better than a D class shooter.

Even with a very little understanding of the fundamentals, a shooter can hit his target. But what happens is that we tend to "look" at watch at what were shooting at, while we are shooting at it!

Bring your vision back to the front sight, and you hit your target. Its so easy to get lost in looking at the targets and not your sights!

Something all shooters strugle with...

IMO