Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load help-180gr Berrys/titegroup

jeremy kemlo

I have some Berrys 180gr bullets and some titegroup powder. I will be shooting it out of an M&P pro 40 5". I have never loaded for the 40. I want to shoot it in uspsa limited and just make major power factor. I have loaded A lot of 9mm but this will be the first for the 40. How many grains, what length etc?

Thanks Jeremy

Edited by jeremy kemlo

4.2 grains of Titegroup, behind that bullet, should get you pretty close.

For best feeding, USUALLY the longets overall length the magazine works best, but, first, you have to remove your barrel, and do the "plunk" test to see how long you can go in YOUR barrel, with whatever bullet you are using.

I recently did some testing with 180gr Berrys FP & titegroup with my new M&P 40 Pro. I started low (4.0gr) and worked up. I ended up with 4.5gr 173PF avg (170PF min). I was using 1.14" OAL.

Like you I've loaded lots of 9 mm & .38spl but I'm new to 40. If you look through a lot of the posts here make sure you check OAL. A majority of the 40 loads are loaded long for 1911/2011's.

Let me know if you have any that keyhole (tumble) I had that problem with berry's plated in .400 and in .355 in 357sig not sure why maybe the plating fractured during the crimp ...

I think in the 357sig in velocity is to fast and it just comes apart...not sure...

Let me know if you have any that keyhole (tumble) I had that problem with berry's plated in .400 and in .355 in 357sig not sure why maybe the plating fractured during the crimp ...

I think in the 357sig in velocity is to fast and it just comes apart...not sure...

It is likely a crimp issue. In .40 I had some issues with the plating coming off, way too much crimp, backed it off to .421 and no more issues. I would start there!

I used some of the 155 rn hb a bit ago to see how I liked 155 vs 180 for major. They performed well, accurate and consistant. I just prefer 180...feels less snappy than a 155.

Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...