Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super -- Suggest Some Powders/Loads?

Sin-ster

I'm picking through the Archives slowly, and finding all sorts of variations and suggestions based on gun specs-- hybrids, poppels, shorty vs. 5", etc.

So... I figured I'd go semi-lazy (and keep searching) and just ask outright.

The gun:

Dawson Signature 5"

No poppels, "Awesome Comp 2"

I shoot Production now, and am retaining the 124 MG JHP's as the projectile. (135's and 147's feel sluggish to me-- I doubt that'll be a problem in an Open gun, though.)

I don't much care how the load "feels", provided that it shoots "flat" and the dot tracks well. It'll have to be relatively gassy, but I doubt that the gun will need a ton of juice to work the comp and make PF due to the "old school" configuration.

Brass will be Starline +p, primers WSR-- if that makes any difference at all. :lol:

Any and all suggestions are very much welcome!

N105 / 10.6 GR / 124 JHP

3N38 / 9.6 GR / 124JHP

IMR 4756 / 9.0 GR / 124 JHP

All three are at 1.235 AOL.

Let me piggy-back on Lynn's N105 recipe.....depending on the gun, I use 10.2gr to 10.4gr with a 121.

That sounds a lot like the same gun Todd Jarrett used to run and Dawson comps really like IMR 7625. Try 7.2 grains with a COL of 1.125. It should give you a PF of 172-175. It will shoot flat and fairly soft.

Cool beans, that helps to specify a lot of things for me!

Any/all other suggestions are certainly welcome as well-- will be working up to a few of these to see what the gun and the shooter prefer.

non hybrid, big comp, sounds like N105 or 4756 would be nice. never know with powder. 7625 may work well too.

Those seem to be the big three candidates, so those are definitely going to be the main competitors to start with!

Pretty stoked-- I basically shot N320 through my Production gun from day one and never looked back. This oughta be fun!

N105 seems to like being loaded a little warm to make the comp work. my last load with N105 was 10.0 grains at 1.235 oal in .38SC with a Hornady HAP 125 gr jhp, good for 175 pf at Area 2 last year. This is out of a 5" barrel with a Brazos Thundercomp II, no holes. Going to back it off a little when I start shooting Open again. I would suggest starting at 9.7-9.8 and work up from there. N105 is a little dirty but has really good dot tracking, at least in my light weight setup.

N105 is expensive and only comes in 1lb bottles. At 10 grains of powder per round you only get about 700 rounds per bottle :surprise: going to stick with it though just cause of the good dot tracking and the recoil impulse which felt more straight back in the hand instead of up and down. 3N38 felt good too though the dot tracking wasnt quite as good as N105.

N105 is a cool powder cause its so slow, you rarely see pressure signs, so you can crank up the PF and se if the gun flattens out. i cranked it up to 10.7 but thats with my hybrid setup. i dont use it anymore because it was such a pain to load. i use 3n38 now but folks dont really like it in their non hybrid setups. you can try it out, but N105 may be better. if the cost beats your wallet up, try 4756.

N105 seems to like being loaded a little warm to make the comp work. my last load with N105 was 10.0 grains at 1.235 oal in .38SC with a Hornady HAP 125 gr jhp, good for 175 pf at Area 2 last year. This is out of a 5" barrel with a Brazos Thundercomp II, no holes. Going to back it off a little when I start shooting Open again. I would suggest starting at 9.7-9.8 and work up from there. N105 is a little dirty but has really good dot tracking, at least in my light weight setup.

N105 is expensive and only comes in 1lb bottles. At 10 grains of powder per round you only get about 700 rounds per bottle :surprise: going to stick with it though just cause of the good dot tracking and the recoil impulse which felt more straight back in the hand instead of up and down. 3N38 felt good too though the dot tracking wasnt quite as good as N105.

You are correct when it comes to the cost of N105. One of the best burn charts out there is from VhitaVuori - instead of simply numbering the order, they show you the powders on a side-by-side perspective so that you can get a better comparison as to how two powders stack up. For example - Powders #33 and #34 on a numerical chart could be identical in burn rate or it could have a significant variance.....VV's chart shows that variance.

On the VV chart, AA7 has the same burn rate as VV N105 and thus use both powders. Because of the cost, I only use N105 for real matches and use AA7 for practice/local matches. And to be honest - I cannot tell that big of a difference between the two for 99% of the shots. N105 gives me that one extra gear, as I like to describe it.....basically when you want to 'grip and rip' it just seems to hold a tad bit better.

And yes, AA7 isn't exactly the cleanest powder out there. I am only concerned with dot movement and thus I don't mind spending a few extra minutes cleaning a gun if I get the performance I want.

My AA7 load is 11.2gr with a 124gr bullet and again 10.2gr to 10.4gr of N105 with a 121gr bullet.

just be careful with AA#7. i got my brand new open gun, and wanted to use a good, slow powder and chose AA#7 cause it was cheap. but when i shot it, there was so much grit, and dirtyness, it jammed the gun up in two rounds. last time i ever used that powder. but it works for people with gun with a few thousand rounds through cause the gun loosens up a bit. my brand new gun wasnt having any of it.

just be careful with AA#7. i got my brand new open gun, and wanted to use a good, slow powder and chose AA#7 cause it was cheap. but when i shot it, there was so much grit, and dirtyness, it jammed the gun up in two rounds. last time i ever used that powder. but it works for people with gun with a few thousand rounds through cause the gun loosens up a bit. my brand new gun wasnt having any of it.

I had the same problem when I originally started using AA7.......the problem was actually with the oil, too thin. The moment I switched to Castrol Synthetic 10W30, never had a problem since then.

N350, 7625, 4756, all great powders. N350 is about the most consistent. If you can get it, start there. It's very clean, and very consistent. I run 7.9grns and make about 168-169.

I shoot an STI Eagle 5.5 with an old school comp, no extra holes.

MG 124 JHP

8.2-8.3 grains Longshot

WSRP

1.255 OAL

Makes 169-170PF out of my gun, YMMV. I would suggest starting around 7.8 grains and work up from there.

Joe W.

I'm glad I created this thread-- picking through the archives for the past several days, I've come across a lot of these loads, but it was hard work!

PIcked up a couple of pounds of the most commonly suggested powders, and plan to give them a shot in the coming week (or two-- Double Tap and all of that around the corner). Gun, dies, primers and powder should all be here on Friday-- I'm pretty stoked!

Thanks for the suggestions, and feel free to continue adding them-- it'll make a nice reference for anyone else asking the same question down the road.

oh nevermind, you dont have your gun yet. yea theres lots of info out there just type 124 4756 or montana gold n350. stuff like that will give u pages and pages of info

Edited by user293

Ummm...what happened to: "grah! Dot guns."?

I have load data for 7625, 4756, and my current n105 load.

Soon to have load data for 7625 in my new to me 9mm Bedell.

Hit me up at TPS or shoot me a pm.

That's right-- I forgot you shot Super!

I hit up Max for some info the other day as well, so some good local info on the subject.

"Grah. Dot guns." went out the window when I saw the price on this puppy. :D

That's right-- I forgot you shot Super!

I hit up Max for some info the other day as well, so some good local info on the subject.

"Grah. Dot guns." went out the window when I saw the price on this puppy. :D

I justified it by convincing myself bullets were so much cheaper, it was stupid not to switch. :roflol: