Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tell me about the STI Tac Sol .22 conv

diversmith

I am looking to get a .22 pistol for steel challenge and cheap practice for 3 gun. I have a relatively new Brazos 2011 in .40 that I would like to be able to use a conversion on just to keep the exact same feel when using .22 ammo. What is the consensus on these STI/TacSol conversions? Do they run reliably and are they a true simple upper swap? Please offer up any advice/experience that you have on this kit. It looks like they make them for the double stack 2011 pistols.

I was originally thinking of a Ruger 22/45 or a RIA complete .22 and then I saw the STI kits

Thanks

I don't have one for the 2011 but I do for the 1911. It will only fit on the 1911 that does not have a fitted slide to frame! You might need to have it fitted.

FWIW

Richard

I have had both the Wilson/Marvel and TS.

I sold the Marvel. It uses the guide rod to snug it to the frame. Every time you take it off to clean you need to re-zero you sights. Just a flat out PIA in my opinion.

My TS works on both my SV wide body and single stack. The wide body mags do not fit in my steel grip SV but in my poly grips just fine. I can change out the top rail on the TS so it can be either an iron sighted/ Limited or SS or C-More Optic/Open gun. The single stack mags do not work in my old .45 Trojan.

As to the Marvel being more accurate, I am calling that BS. Both are accurate.

The issue with TS is the price of their mags. They are pricey but worth the initial expense IMO. They are exceptionally well made magazines.

The TS is not any more sensitive to ammo, in my experience, than the Marvel. I generally try for about 1200 fps in the ammo. It digests Federal big box without much of a problem. If you put 12 to 13 rounds in the mag, the second round can jam on you. For matches I run CCI without a problem.

Sometimes in the older TS models, the extractor needed a little filing. TS offered to do it for me. They actually sent me an extra one that had been filed.

I also have their AR conversion, which is quite good also.

I just got one from a private seller on Sniperhide. I was literally brand new. I fed some CCI Mini-mags through it. Then I fed some bulk Remington ammo through it. Worked great on a Springfield 9mm 1911 frame (ramped barrel). Accuracy isn't as good with the same ammo as my Ruger MKIII. But it's fun to shoot the single stack with 22lr. And I bit the bullet and bought at 2011 mag for it so I can try it on my open gun. Mags are expensive but it seems overall well built. Oh yeah, and I got the one with a threaded barrel, so when the BATFE sends my paperwork to the toystore I'll have a suppressed 22 open gun :)

~Mitch

I have had both the Wilson/Marvel and TS.

I sold the Marvel. It uses the guide rod to snug it to the frame. Every time you take it off to clean you need to re-zero you sights. Just a flat out PIA in my opinion.

My TS works on both my SV wide body and single stack. The wide body mags do not fit in my steel grip SV but in my poly grips just fine. I can change out the top rail on the TS so it can be either an iron sighted/ Limited or SS or C-More Optic/Open gun. The single stack mags do not work in my old .45 Trojan....

What kind of ejector do you have on your SV wide body?

The TS22 fits my RIA .45 and Colt Delta Elite 10mm. However, it does NOT fit my 38 Super, STI wide body with extended ejector. The extended ejector on my STI is too thick and binds on the ejector groove of the TS22 slide.

I want the STI to work with the TS22 slide without having to remove/replace the ejector. So I plan on either sanding down the extended ejector or tryng out a .45ACP ejector on the STI. Any thoughts on which route I should try first?

I got the TS22 with the hybrid rail (dovetail rear sight and picattiny rail). I used the rail to try out various red dots and eventually mounted a Leupold Deltapoint 7moa on the dovetail. The TS22 dovetail was suppose to be a Bomar cut, but it was too big for the JPoint Bomar adapter and I needed to shim the adapter to get a solid fit.

I have used several 22 conversion untis on my 1911's. Given that the only difference between the single stack and wide bodied conversion untis is the "external filler" to build up the magazine I would believe you would expereince the same results.

If you want bullseye level accuracy then the Marvel #1 is the unti for you. However it has an aluminum slide and does not lock back after firing the last round. Being an old bullseye shooter I instinctively count my shots so have never considered this a limitation. My two units have been totally reliable with SV ammo.

The Advantage Arms #1 unit is similar to the Marvel but has a small steel insert placed on the insdie of the aluminum slide. In my limited expereince this steel insert shears/loosens it's retainers and does not provide a relaible slide lock back feature. The unit is designed to run with HV ammo.

The all steel Tactical Solutions conversion unit is an improvement on the older Jarvis unit. Functions very reliably with CCI Mini Mag ammo. Infrequently one has a fired case which does not totally eject and prevents the next round from chambering. Accuracy is not comparable to the Marvel but more than adequate for any practical pistol events.

I've had great luck with my TS unit on a single stack. I've never needed "bullseye-level" accuracy as I have only used it for casual plinking and steel challenge, but it shoots pretty dang well on paper too. Costly mags are a bummer, but they are well made and easy to take apart to clean.