Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Full Length Dust Cover Advantages?

tjhj

Hello,

I am debating my 1st double stack 1911, but I am really hung up on a full length dust cover (FLDC) or not. This will be a USPSA limited gun for me, and my 1st true limited gun.

So the two guns at the top of the list are an STI Edge, vs and STI Eagle (Bull Barrel).

What advantages does the full length dust cover actually bring? They seem to be more popular in USPSA and of the 6 limited guns STI makes 5 of them have full length dust covers. There has to be a reason.... (I don't know what to call the 5.0 tactical, so FLDC). The only disadvantage I can see is I can't shoot it in IDPA, but I don't shoot IDPA much and have a 9mm I enjoy shooting in ESP. So aside from that why does it matter?

Is it better weight distribution? More strength or Less Frame Flex? Is the slide able to be lighter in a FLDC?

They weigh only 2.4 oz different so I can't see it being that much of a difference. (Edge - 37.6 oz, Eagle - 35.2oz (Sig) or the Eagle weights 93% of the Edge) I am not even sure if that is accurate because I can't find a true weight on the Eagle in .40. But if it is 1oz in the slide and 1oz in the frame, that would be a big difference.

Please enlighten me, thank you for your help and time.

The main advantage is that they're heavier, so they soak up recoil better.

The main disadvantage is that they're heavier. They may be slower to draw and they are generally harder to stop and start when engaging multiple targets quickly.

Its all about preference. I like a light fast gun. Both of my limited guns have substantially lightened slides and short dust cover frames. I think that recoil management should be in strength and grip --- technique, not dangling extra weight 3' away from my core.

I agree with Seth. There are ways to adjust the weight of a gun to your liking without resorting to an Edge. If an Eagle is too light for you, a tungsten guide rod will put some weight in, but you can remove it if it turns out that you don't like it. With an Edge, you're stuck until you have someone mill weight off (which is a pretty permanent modification).

With the old 175 Power Factor, that weight might've been desirable for some, but with 165, it's just too much for most.

It's kind of like comparing 5" to 6" guns, or comparing Ford to Chevy. Some people love/hate each of them for different reasons. None of them are wrong or bad reasons against the other just personal preference. The best answer is to shoot or handle both guns if possible and which one feels better.

I think an FLDC makes a perfect beginners gun. I wasn't great with recoil control at first. I was so bad, I had to add a tungsten guide rod to my gun. As I got better, I removed it. Then I started lightening the slide. I still prefer a long discover, but severely lightened. It just feels smoother to me, and I love the look too.

I would recommend a used custom build long DC gun with all the features of a custom gun for about the price of a tuned edge.

The best way to tell is to shoot both and see which one fits you better.

Isn't FLDC also more accurate theoretically since the rail is long?

The rail is the same length on both types of receiver.

See if someone will let you shoot their pistol at a match.

With that said, getting a FLDC won't hold you back. I wonder how many of the past Nationals Champs and top GM's would tell you that the extra weight is hurting their performance. Also, subtracting weight is easier than putting it back on. You can put simple ball cuts down the length of the DC, drill it, have it lightened internally, or you can send it to want2race and have him hacksaw part of the DC off.

I'd get an Edge, shoot the crap out of it and after some quality time behind the pistol, you'll know exactly or at least have a much better idea of what you want to do to your existing pistol or what you want on your next one.

Edited by al503

oops, never mind. Why don't they make the rail longer to enhance accuracy? Maybe a dumb question.

oops, never mind. Why don't they make the rail longer to enhance accuracy? Maybe a dumb question.

Isn't this a factor of flex and binding? The weakly supported rail would bind the slide? And from my limited knowledge more rail doesn't neccessary add accuracy, it's more about lockup consistency.

Edited by tjhj

The trend on the forum is that people seem to recommend the super light cut up guns, yet when I watch people who are winning national matches, they all seem to be shooting basic, heavy, long dust cover guns.

Nils and Shannon come to mind. I am not sure when their guns were built but at that level you would think that if they wanted super light chopped up guns they would be running them.

Go figure.

I think it just comes down to sticking to one thing and shooting the hell out of it.

Equipment improvement is a lot easier and faster than skill improvement. People like me would want to see some improvement somehow whether is in skill or equipment. When lack of skill improvement, it is very easy to turn to equipment. While the fact is the skill carries more weight than equipment in this sport.

Around here I see far more Edge style guns than anything else in Limited. I think 818-DVC is right, an Edge makes a really good low B, C or D class gun. As you get better, lighten the slide. You can put the weight back in with tungsten guide rods, heavier magwells or steel or aluminum grip frames. Sometimes its more about the balance of weight.

I disagree with the B, C, and D for a FLDC gun. A stock edge will not hold anyone back, do not let one single trial of someone elses gun be a true deciding factor. I can not tell you how many times I tried some one elses gun and thought that it might feel better than mine. The truth is that whenever we get a new toy that there is a honeymoon phase where it just seems better all around. Unless someone is making real strides in their shooting, they will be right back to performing where they were long before the first sleeve of primers are gone.

The gun could weigh 10 pounds, when that timer goes off I would not know it.

Brian