Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EOTech XPS/EXPS

Roland

I have been looking at getting a red dot and am very interested in the EOTech XPS2 or the EXPS2. Does anyone use it on their AR.

How well does it compare to other similar sights.

I love the EOTechs, especially the new XPS models. The dots are much more precise than Aimpoints and even more so with a magnifier. I prefer the XPS to the EXPS. I'm not a fan of their throw lever since I switch optics depending on the match. A LaRue mount gives you the same height but with return to zero. I'd also suggest the -2 models with the second dot for distance shooting.

I always hear about their lack of durability but that hasn't been my experience, in 5 or 6 sights over the last 10 years I only had problems with the battery box on 1 sight requiring 1 trip back to the factory.

I love the EOTechs, especially the new XPS models. The dots are much more precise than Aimpoints and even more so with a magnifier. I prefer the XPS to the EXPS. I'm not a fan of their throw lever since I switch optics depending on the match. A LaRue mount gives you the same height but with return to zero. I'd also suggest the -2 models with the second dot for distance shooting.

I always hear about their lack of durability but that hasn't been my experience, in 5 or 6 sights over the last 10 years I only had problems with the battery box on 1 sight requiring 1 trip back to the factory.

Was the return to zero that far off that you needed to change to a Larue mount? I can deal with it being off a little if I remove it and reisntall it.

Was the return to zero that far off that you needed to change to a Larue mount? I can deal with it being off a little if I remove it and reisntall it.

Depends on your expectations I guess. You'd still be on paper at 100 but it was about 3-4" each time. I tried loosening it tightening it applying forward or rearward pressure while closing and just wasn't happy with it. XPS in a LaRue 110 is within 1/2". I do miss the side buttons though.

Depends on your expectations I guess. You'd still be on paper at 100 but it was about 3-4" each time. I tried loosening it tightening it applying forward or rearward pressure while closing and just wasn't happy with it. XPS in a LaRue 110 is within 1/2". I do miss the side buttons though.

Is there anyway that you could take off the mount on the EXPS and use another?

I have an Eotech XPS2 mounted on my shorty rifle. Its a great setup that I used to use to win a lot of carbine matches. I think the Eotech is one of the best 1x optics. The only downside is that its useless to me when I don't have glasses on because of my astigmatism.

The aimpoints are really tough and have a huge battery life, but I don't like the big dot they have and the field of view isn't as good as the Eotch.

I've had my Eotech for a couple of years and I've only had to change the battery once. I use a couple surefire lights a lot and I save all the used batteries. When the surefire batteries don't have enough juice to get my E2D light up to the high setting, they still have enough power to run the Eotech.

For close range it is fine for me. The matches around here have rifle targets out to 350-400 yards. I've found that if I changed the brightness on my XPS2 I would have a zero-shift. I don't have confindence with my XPS for long range. I've since switched to irons. Eventually I'm going to try the Leupy for my Limited upper.

I just did my first match with the Brownells EOTech with the T-Dot reticle. "T" is on at 7 yards, 2nd dot works for 10, plus long range. I pull the trigger too slowly but actually was comfortable going faster than normal with the EOTech. I've used various EOTechs for 5 years now and this one is my favorite. It is on the EXPS2-2 body. I use mine for coyote hunting, and 3-gun. The only thing you don't get is the light-gathering ability of a magnified optic, but no one else in Tac Iron does either so you're all equal. Light was just wrong for me in the woods of Stage 7 at CMMG, shot left of the tree but didn't hit the target I couldn't see. Of course I have old eyes, and don't practice odd situations enough.

• 2 years later...

I use an EOtech 512 on my MKA-1919XN shotgun which is an AR-ish shotgun. I love dots inside circles for a fast reticle. I happen to be faster that way. Plenty of people like the EOtech way. Many others prefer the Aimpoint style of one dot. My personal preference for short range work is EOtech. If I make a more defense oriented AR and I go 1x, I'll use EOtech, no doubt.

I have used EO's for years, even back when Bushnell put their name on them. I still have one with the Bushnell name on it and it is as good today as it was when I got it. Battery life is short on them. All of my EO's have a 1 moa dot only. The 1 moa reticle was originally designed for a special military unit and when I got my hands on a couple I was sold. I remember a stage back when my old buddy, Kyle Lamb, hosted the North American Tactical Championship in Oxford, NC. The stage had multiple flash targets at 310 yards, I turned my intensity down on my sight and hit with ease. No magnifier back then. Thanks for a great match Brother, wish you still done it. Professional gunmen from across the country showed up for that match.

I'm sold on the single-dot Eotech as well. I find it much faster than my Burris Tac-30s inside of 75 yards. I am zeroed at 25 & 300 on the two that I have. One is on my primary '.223 Limited' rifle and with the brightness down a bit it is easy to hit 300 yard steel with a 1 MOA dot. I also have one on a 6.8 SPC upper (with a mil-spec trigger) and I can get about 3 out of 5 on a 9" plate from 300 yards with the brightness down on it as well. I don't have a magnifier and see no real need for one out to 300 yards. The only issue I ever had was with certain target arrays in a night match. I was finding it too bright on the distant targets, yet washed out by my light up close. I was also confusing the dot with my red laser on arrays with widely different ranges. The solution to that would have been a green laser and had nothing to do with the Eotech.

I really like the XPS sight and find it slightly more reliable than the older EoTechs due to the direction the battery mounts. I have switched all of my working rifles to the XPS/EXPS sights. I like the XPS as it mounts slightly lower. My agency is currently running between 250-300 EoTechs of various vintages. We have had zero problems with the XPS series sights.

I've got 5 if that tells you anything B)

3 single dot

1 - 2 dot

1 - 3 dot, for me the 3 dot is too much in the circle, I actually shoot better using Kentucky windage than multiple dots

Any more than 2 dots, I have to think too much to be fast :blink:

Edited by toothandnail

Also look at the Meprolight RDS. Looks like the love child of an Eotech and Aimpoint.

1.8 MOA dot with battery life of the Aimpoint, but with the FOV like an Eotech....

Mick

Good luck finding one.

I didn't have a problem getting one during their Black Friday sale.

Not sure about the current supply situation...

Mick

Also look at the Meprolight RDS. Looks like the love child of an Eotech and Aimpoint.
1.8 MOA dot with battery life of the Aimpoint, but with the FOV like an Eotech....

Mick

Good luck finding one.