Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Being in a dead spot for shooting matches

theycallmeingot

I live in Marion, IL. I have to drive 80 miles to the "local" USPSA match. I don't mind this, really. But that's only one match per month. So the next closest is 97 miles, which has a "discontinued" IPSC match. The only other one is 97 miles, and they have USPSA. GREAT! but... it's the same saturday as the 80 mile one.

now, either USPSA.org club finder is inadequate, or i'm in a pretty bad dead spot for shooting sports.

hate. hate. hate.

I live in a very gun friendly state, but basically gave up. Nearest match was 2 hours going and 3 hours back due to traffic. For one match a month that fills up a week out and requires reservations.

Considering how anti-gun NJ is I would say I'm very lucky. I have 2 USPSA matches within 35 minutes, one within 90 minutes, two IDPA matches within 45 minutes, and 3 to 4 steel matches within the 35 minute circle as well.

If I shot everything I wanted to I'd be dead broke.

NJ has I believe currently 4 USPSA matches, A number of IDPA, Several large monthly steel matches. Eastern PA has 3-4 USPSA, a number of IDPA and several steel matches. It is possible to shoot some form of competition here on at the very least every weekend and often on both Saturday and Sunday. Add in a couple night time practice matches and you can break the bank.

I started looking for where I might someday want to live should I ever get to retire. What I did was get a mapping program and start making 50 mile radius circles around matches. Sort of like a USPSA Venn diagram. There are a couple places where 4 circles overlap and a greater number where 3 overlap.

I would hate to be in a place where there was only one match a month. This is what keeps me on a reasonably even keel.

Those of us who live in a match friendly area fail to realize how lucky we are. I live in North Florida and can shoot a match just about every Saturday and Sunday. My longest drive is about an hour and 20 min. all on the interstate at 80 mph. I will certainly remember how lucky I am..

I have 3 in my area. One is a 40 mile round trip, one a 110 mile round trip and the last one is a 260 mile round trip. The distance of 2 while a little longer than I like its the absence of no other female shooters that bother me. Being the only female present is a bit unnerving to say the least. At least at the closet match another female does shoot every now and then.

I've tried to get other women interested but the fear of guns and going out in the boonies along with the thought of possibly being outnumbered 50-1 by men simply will paralyze them and keep them away.