Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Live fire drills for public ranges?

I'm a fairly new shooter and said that this year I want to get into the sport. I just got Mike Seeklander's book and have made it to the live fire section. Here's where I start to get confused. The closest range to me is pretty strict - no drawing from a holster, no rapid fire or double taps, etc, etc. Basically, from what I can tell, I can't practice any of the live fire drills that Mike has in his book.

I was curious if any of you were in the same position and what were some things you can work on to maximize your learning time at the range? Is it possible to learn all of the movement and other techniques at matches and concentrate on everything else with dryfire and with shooting slowing at paper at the range?

Also, regarding a shot timer, if you are not doing these "fancy" live fire drills and just doing dryfire at home, is a simple smartphone PAR timer good enough?

Any comments/suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks!

First, I'd say look for another range.

While you're looking, you can still practice from low ready, do longer accuracy stuff for groups, and perhaps your range will let you kneel, do "table" type draws, shoot 1 + reload + shoot 1, etc.

For a super simple par timer, you can use a smartphone app or just the web-based (and free) par timer from the wonderful Predator Tactical site:

http://www.predatortactical.com/cart.php?m=knowledgebase_detail&id=5

If you get the smartphone app and a set of electronic muffs, you can do some limited par-time stuff at the range, too, which is really helpful. Supplement with dry fire up the yang and then do matches as often as you can.

Is it possible to learn all of the movement and other techniques at matches and concentrate on everything else with dryfire and with shooting slow at paper at the range?

Heck, welcome to the greatest sport in the world.

Two thoughts:

1. Dot torture targets - see www.dottorture

2. You live near 3-4 excellent Action ranges, which host

a lot of IPSC/IDPA matches - check USPSA.com for

the ranges near you :cheers:

Thanks for the responses guys.

Perhaps I'll ask around on a local forum and see if there's anything I'm missing. The club I belong to, Wyoming Antelope Club, has a lot of action stuff going on, but again, they're very strict at the public range. In fact, up to a year or two ago, they wouldn't even let you load more than a couple rounds into a magazine, from what I read. That's a little more relaxed now, but definitely no rapid fire, drawing, and stuff like that.

I do, unfortunately, have to weigh out family life and work, too, so having a range semi close is really beneficial. In other words, even if I found a perfect range 2 hours away, I'm not sure how much I could take advantage of that. But maybe the locals will know something I don't.

I am on a similar situation, what I do is practice dryfire at home and shoot matches. For live fire practice at the square range I make up things I can do to compete with myself..example set up standard uspsa target at 50 yards. Load magazine with 10 rounds. Shoot as quickly as you can get away with.. Make it a 20-50 round string. The most important thing for me is to keep track and compete with myself. Make every shot count. Another thing I'll do is get standard B8 bullseye targets and shoot 50 rounds on it at 25 yards and score it. Keep track of what your scores are. You can do things like this with strong hand weak hand etc. You can also practice different trigger techniques; just because it's slow fire doesn't mean you have to practice shooting the way you would slow. You can also work on hot calling. A lot of people will tell you you can't get better with slowfire practice, but I think there are ways to make it interesting and useful. Especially if you can't keep them all in the a zone at 50,or in the a zone of the head at 15

Thanks for the responses guys.

Perhaps I'll ask around on a local forum and see if there's anything I'm missing. The club I belong to, Wyoming Antelope Club, has a lot of action stuff going on, but again, they're very strict at the public range. In fact, up to a year or two ago, they wouldn't even let you load more than a couple rounds into a magazine, from what I read. That's a little more relaxed now, but definitely no rapid fire, drawing, and stuff like that.

I do, unfortunately, have to weigh out family life and work, too, so having a range semi close is really beneficial. In other words, even if I found a perfect range 2 hours away, I'm not sure how much I could take advantage of that. But maybe the locals will know something I don't.

I'm in the exact same boat! I shoot at the WAC also its hard to get out there after work to shoot a match on Tue or Fri.

The only range I know of that is somewhat close to you is shoot straight by the fairgrounds. You can rapid fire all you want.

I don't go there unless I'm making sure my gun is sighted in and to try out different ammo. I don't feel comfortable shooting

Next to someone that has no idea what they are doing so I can't concentrate so I don't stay long.

Not to mention the suicides that happen there!

I have been thinking about river ranch in polk county. If you know someone that has property there you can go there bring some targets,steel targets etc... And go way out in the woods set them up and go for it!

Ideally, it does seem best to find someone with the private land, like you said. Of course that's always easier said than done.

I want to even say they won't let you use the USPSA targets on the public range at the WAC (cause it looks like a person???) but don't quote me on that. But its 15 min away and have a pretty nice setup, I think.

I guess I'll just try to dryfire and get to some matches and start looking into an airsoft setup. I definitely have some room in the backyard for some pretty good exercises.

Wow, this is strange to read this...the WAC puts out some of the best shooters in FL, and the country. I know of two shooters from there that were on Top Shot. I never realized that the WAC was so anal about action shooting practice. Have you looked into joining the practical shooting club at the WAC?

Yeah, sometimes it doesn't make a lot of sense. I don't want to sound like I'm bad mouthing them. I like the place, I really, do, it just seems a little restrictive sometimes. Last time I was shooting my AR standing up and was told you have to sit down to shoot all center fire guns on the public lane.

They have a lot of programs it seems, and I'm still trying to make sense of it all, but it seems like the matches on Tuesday and Friday's would be a good starting point. Then they have classifiers on the weekends, I think, along with all of the shotgun, multigun, yada yada mixed in.

WAC is A great safe place to shoot either way. I have been shooting there for years. It would be nice to be able to get a few people together and rent out a couple of action shooting bays

and set up some stages and run some practice drills.

Most "public" ranges take the fun out of shooting...in fact it's why I've taken so long to enjoy shooting. Until I discovered Practical Shooting sports late last year (I'm 39), I could care less about standing at a line with 15 other folks, all shooting like robots at an ordinary piece of paper. Talk about snore-fest...

But, we all understand the reasons behind it, and those reasons are not likely to go away anytime soon :-( Just thank your lovely neighborhood lawyer and his good buddy the insurance adjuster. Oh, and the village idiots with guns that ruin it for everyone.

I'm extremely lucky to have a range like GTR that allows me to draw, move, shoot, and practice REAL action drills on paper OR steel. I love it here! Sorry to rub it in ;) Feel free to take a two hour drive north and check us out!

Edited by ErichF

Agreed, safety first for sure. I've heard horror stories about some other places around town.

Maybe if we can make it up to a gator game this year I can scoot away on sunday to check out the setup up there.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

heckofagator, Are you shooting in the PRO-AM Match in july?

That sounds like a pretty big match. To be honest, I'm still trying to get the courage up to make it to one of the weeknite local matches up at the club.

I'll do a search on it now, although I'm guessing its been long full.

heckofagator, Are you shooting in the PRO-AM Match in july?

That sounds like a pretty big match. To be honest, I'm still trying to get the courage up to make it to one of the weeknite local matches up at the club.

I'll do a search on it now, although I'm guessing its been long full.

I will shoot you a pm next time I go to a weekly match in case you want to go. I will try my best to help you out. As long as you have mags,gun, holsters, and ammo you will be fine. It is well worth it to go.

I don't know when I will be going Poss within the next 3 weeks but I will let you know.

A steel match is the best match to start if you are worried about people watching you or not confident enough

To run and gun type match. That's what I told my buddy to do and he loves the steel matches!

He hasn't tried the USPSA match yet cause it is hard for me to get out there.

It is a pretty big match. I would reccomend going to a few local matches first. Everyone at the local match will answer any questions you have. And they will let you go last if you want so you can watch everyone go first and get a better understanding of what to do. First thing first is be safe. Go at your own pace,take your time and have fun. I garantee you will be back for more!

First, I'd say look for another range.

A lot of ranges are like that, unfortunately.

Out here I only know of Scottsdale Gun Club which allows shooting from the holster and only after a test.

Insurance premiums are high and many don't want to run the risk of accidents or even fatalities (which are rare, and usually suicide related, but they do happen).

My local club (Rio) will let me use the practical bays only after 12 matches, a paid membership and sponsorship from a master. See if you have a local club with such conditions.

There are tons of exercises, even with range restrictions. Gun from chest, aim, shoot, call, back on chest.

Trying to call all shots.

And of course shooting tons of rounds until it becomes second nature. Take your time between shots.

Even just shooting with the target at 20 yards, two-handed or even one-handed, bullseye style, to improve your trigger control.

I can't think of any fire drill that is not paying dividend when done seriously.

Of course, just like an actual physical workout at the gym, dividends stop paying if you don't introduce variety.

Different drills = muscle confusion for your brain.

At public ranges I just shout "Yeeeehaaww", pull my gun out of my waistband, and hip-shoot everyone's targets.

If you don't feel like doing that, you may want to shoot EXTREMELY tough shots that you wouldn't normally go "fast" on. You can also practice picking your gun up off a bench and reloading off a bench. I don't imagine there is a lot they can do about that.

Yeah, sometimes it doesn't make a lot of sense. I don't want to sound like I'm bad mouthing them. I like the place, I really, do, it just seems a little restrictive sometimes. Last time I was shooting my AR standing up and was told you have to sit down to shoot all center fire guns on the public lane.

WAC's public range is quite a bit different than their Action Ranges - as you have found out... The problem is that many people buy a gun at a local gun shop and drive straight out the the WAC range to shoot it... Many times it is the first time they have ever fired a gun... They have to have strong rules to keep things safe for everyone.

They have a lot of programs it seems, and I'm still trying to make sense of it all, but it seems like the matches on Tuesday and Friday's would be a good starting point. Then they have classifiers on the weekends, I think, along with all of the shotgun, multigun, yada yada mixed in.

There is quite a bit going on at the Wyoming Antelope Club, but once you get everything figured out it is a fun place to shoot. They have started an "Intro to Action Shooting" class that's very helpful to new shooters... They explain all the rules and then go out and shoot several practice events... Steel Challenge and USPSA... It's a helpful class and it gets you involved in the goings on at the WAC. There is a separate WAC Action Shooting web page, here's a link:

http://www.wacactionshooting.com/

Looks like they just had an "Intro to Action Shooting" class on April 28th... They should post another one, soon... There's also a Steel Challenge Match on Saturday, May 19th... I'm planning to go to that... Steel Challenge is a lot of fun...

As far as the ability to practice for Steel Challenge, USPSA, and IDPA events, there is a workaround, but it is not simple...It involves becoming a Range Officer for the public line... After you become a RO, you can set up whatever you want in the Action Bays and shoot them whenever you want. There are some other qualifications, but that seems to be what most of the serious shooters do...