Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Downtime for a beginner...

I am still extremely new at all of this, I have 4 IDPA (one state match) and 1 steel challenge under my belt. In two weeks I am going to have back surgery. How can I make the most efficient use of the 4 weeks off work and not be starting completely over when I am mobile again? I have a Matt Burkett DVD and will reread Brian's book but there has to be something else I can be doing. Thanks

Visualize the act of shooting, moving drawing, reloading in your head. In your mind re-run the matches that you have shot. After watching the Matt Burkett video, attempt to run the exercises in your mind. When you are able to pick up your pistol, and as GrumpyOne stated: Dry Fire,Dry Fire,Dry Fire.

You should be able to improve dramatically in the 4 weeks off work, as long as you are not confined to bed the whole time. You'll have plenty of time to practice draws, sighting and trigger pulls. You might consider one of the books available on this site for dryfire drills, and spend 20-30 mins every morning and evening working on them.

I had my acl replaced just after I started shooting last year. As a result, I had tons of time to shoot since I couldn't ride my dirtbike for 5 weeks, and couldn't even get on my mtn bike for a week or 2.