Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you know "When"?

After reading many posts regarding issues with M&P accuracy and trigger action, I have a question. Being new to the addiction, how do I know WHEN to begin investing in aftermarket parts for my M&P? Would an aftermarket barrel and competition trigger assembly benefit me now or should I wait until I know that it is my handgun that is holding me back? The disadvantage, it would seem, in waiting is having to adapt to a different trigger than I've run up until that point.

When you can afford it. I don't think modern firearms need to have barrels replaced, but there is some benefit to nicer trigger job or replacing trigger componets with drop-in kits. I think most of the accuracy can be obtained from not having to pull 6~7 lb stock trigger versus a 3lb in a M&P or glock not to mention the benefits of shorter overtravel and reset.

You'll know that the barrel is holding you back...

... when you are calling your shots and the shots are not where you call them. Of course it could also mean that your sights are off, or that you have bad ammo.

You'll know that your trigger is holding you back...

... when you pick up somebody else's M&P who has had trigger work done but still has the same sights and grip as yours,and you are find you are calling your shots and making better hits.

If you have the money now, get a good reliable trigger sooner rather than later. For the barrel, you may find that the stock barrel works for you until it gets worn out.

Edited by Skydiver

At typical USPSA distances, I can't see the barrel mattering enough to justify the cost. You'll get a better return on your money with good sights and an Apex AEK and RAM.

Also note that if you're planning to stay in production, you can do the AEK and RAM, but not the full FSS trigger swap.

Edited by mahamoti

I agree accuracy is a subjective term when it comes to USPSA. We shoot at targets fairly close and the A zone on the torso of the target is rather large. Having a heavy trigger an/or one with lots of slop can mess with your trigger control under stress. So a trigger job would be of more benefit then a new barrel, but even a great trigger job won't help much if you have bad trigger control. If you can't afford a trigger job right now, do lots of dry fire practice and even after the trigger job, still do lots of dry fire practice

Edited by jdphotoguy

I agree that the trigger would be a better investment and would probably be better sooner as opposed to later. I think it would be a step back, albeit in a positive direction in the long run, to have to revamp trigger control that you've grown accustomed to. I actually shot limited with it. The reasoning was two fold: I didn't have enough mags to run production first time out and I actually thought fewer reloads first time out cut back on stress a little. Maybe that thought process goes against the grain somewhat but thats just me. Lol.

I can tell you from personal experience, 2 M&P 40 Pros and an M&P 9 Pro, when I got the second 40 Pro and the 9 Pro and went to the range they were not the gun that my original 40 Pro with the Apex AEK kit in it was. I have since put the kit in both of those guns. When you can afford it, consider doing it. Best of luck with your gun. I believe I made the best decison for me when I went with the M&P.

I'd say that if you can shoot the stock trigger well, get consistent hits in the A zone at 20 yards, and feel like you could do better with a lighter trigger, that's a good time.

A harder/stackier trigger is a good way to learn proper trigger control and isolating your trigger finger. The way I think about it is, if you can shoot a 7 pound trigger, you can shoot a 2 pound trigger.

Also if your gun every craps out and you borrow one, you'll know that you can still shoot the bone stock loaner gun well.

For any gun I intend to shoot in competition, I will get the factory trigger replaced with a competition trigger. ( Most ) guns come with triggers that the engineers have had approved by the legal department, not the competition department. The trigger can make a huge difference in the accuracy of the gun so I'd say replace it ASAP.

Barrels ? Not so much. For a pistol, I think that an aftermarket barrel improves accuracy due to the way it is fit and not so much as the inherent accuracy of the barrel itself.

Thanks for the insight gentlemen.... After much consideration, I think I'm going to just leave it alone for now and just concentrate on whats wrong with me. Right now it's a better gun than I am a shooter. :-)

Thanks for the insight gentlemen.... After much consideration, I think I'm going to just leave it alone for now and just concentrate on whats wrong with me. Right now it's a better gun than I am a shooter. :-)

That right there is hard for some people. Glad you get it, shoot the heck outta that thing!!!

I'm with you, so you have company. Been thinking the exact same things but I'll keep shooting my stock Glock until my performance totally levels off. Hasn't yet and I still have lots to learn...

When you can afford it. I don't think modern firearms need to have barrels replaced, but there is some benefit to nicer trigger job or replacing trigger componets with drop-in kits. I think most of the accuracy can be obtained from not having to pull 6~7 lb stock trigger versus a 3lb in a M&P or glock not to mention the benefits of shorter overtravel and reset.

Great and sage advice.

Good stuff there. :cheers: