Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VV310 with 9mm 124 grain speer gold dots

bajadudes

Hello all,

I have 4 lbs of 310 and I was wondering if anyone has a suggested load for 9mm JHP's like a speer GD?

I searched around on the forum and see suggestions for other weight bullets, esp heavier and in 45 but can't seem to find anything for 124 grain 9mm. From what I have been reading maybe 310 is too hot for this application. I would like to drive them to around 1,150fps out of a 4" barrel.

I do have a crono for testing and I would be loading on a Dillon 1050 with new starline cases and federal small rifle #205 primers.

Any suggestions and advice re this particular 310 powder would be appreciated.

I wouldn't recommend N310 for 9mm-too fast. Try 320 or 330 if you can get it.

Thanks for the prompt reply, sort of what I was thinking but just wanted to see what others opinions were. Whats a good starting load for 320 or even 330 with this grain bullet if i wanted to achieve 1,150 or so fps.

Really what I am looking for is very low flash, around 1,150 or 1,200 fps and as clean and accurate at 7 - 25 yards as possible. I don't mind paying a premium for a high quality powder. I have about 4 Lbs of 3N38 but want to save it for my 38 supercomp loads and besides I can't seem to find any info for it with SGD JHP's in 124 grain anyway. I thought of 3N37 but hear that it has a pretty toasty flash.

Once again any advice is appreciated

Edited by bajadudes

I stand corrected. I was looking at reloading data on Loaddata.com and that's where I got the 4.7. After checking VV Reloading it is 4.3. Sorry

I would be loading longer, @ 1.140 So I'm thinking 10% or so over is doable. Will start lower and work up. I have to find some 330 or 340 locally. Gun show next week so maybe there is a possibility.

Thanks for the followup, greatly appreciated

I've had absolutely excellent results using N320 under 124gr Speer GDHPs. My backup to that has been W231.

I have a bunch of Titegroup but have had no need to even try it under the gold dots with my other 2 main powders.

I've had absolutely excellent results using N320 under 124gr Speer GDHPs.

If you don't mind sharing, how many grains? What OAL? Have you had an opportunity to chrono the rounds? What barrel are you shooting out of?

Going to be looking for either 320, 330 or 340 at the gun show next week and am trying to make up my mind.

Thanks

Edited by bajadudes