Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best rifle shooting postition

It really depends on which position is most accurate for you personally. Me,I would probably go into sitting because you do not have to get back out under time and for me I am MUCH more stable sitting than kneeling or off hand

YMMV

Alan

Edited by 3gungeezer

It depends on the size of the box. At Ft. Benning one year, I watched a shooter go prone in a shooting box by holding his feet up in the air vertically. I wish I had thought of it!! I guess your height would also come into play. BTW, otherwise I would sit -- that's bad enough, but kneeling isn't as stable for me. Good luck!

Andy

For me, kneeling is not much better than standing. Given a 3'x3' shooting box, sitting is the most stable. The ankles crossed, legs on boots kind of sitting is extremely stable. Spend time practicing getting into that position. Look for information on Highpower positions.

A match coming up has targets out to 350 while within a standard shooting box, you are not allowed to touch anything outside. Whats the best shooting position for something like this?

Heres the stage:

http://www.actionpistol.org/ncps/results/2012/05-may-multi-gun/Stage6.pdf

Thanks

Actually, the box is going to be made so you can shoot it prone if you choose. Also, the targets on that stage are ONLY 200 yards. It is the other stage that there are a few targets out near 400. :sight:

I have trouble shooting in the typical cross-legged seated position but do pretty well with a sling in a low seated position that doesn't even have a name. If you look at the photos in this article, you will see what I am referring to. Ignore the description because the position he is describing is different than the photos.

• 1 month later...