Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dry firing with a full mag of dummy rounds

blaster113

So I'm getting some dry fire in before I leave this week for Area 1. Thought occurs to me that I should've been shooting my Limited gun loaded to full capacity during live fire to get used to the weight and balance. Usually shoot L10 here but doing Limited in Utah. I figure what the hell, since I'm running out of time for live fire practice try and see what the gun feels like loaded up during dry fire.

I normally follow all the classic safety rules during dry fire; empty gun during draw/movement practice no live ammo in the room. Only 1 dummy round in the mags for reload practice (so the followers dont get beat to hell by the ejector). My dummy rounds are specially marked cases with bullets only and no primers.

Big difference. Draws and stuff now feel more realistic with the weight and balance of gun loaded to full capacity. Wish I had more time to do get in some reps at the range with the gun fully loaded. Never fired this light 6" with 20 rnd mags yet. I can only shoot Limited matches in the CONUS so I shouldve been doing this sooner.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Why would you use a case with no primer? Wouldn't it be better with a spent primer in the case?

What if you had a light strike primer, throw round in your shooting bag then you go and practice and it fires again? No primer is better for dummy rounds so there is no mistake.

Why would you use a case with no primer? Wouldn't it be better with a spent primer in the case?

What if you had a light strike primer, throw round in your shooting bag then you go and practice and it fires again? No primer is better for dummy rounds so there is no mistake.

I have a friend who puts silicone in the primer pocket, probably to protect her firing pin. Good idea, but most modern and qualiy guns can take dry fire for a loooooooooong time.

• 1 month later...

Of course the best way to use dummy rounds is to randomly load them in your mags with live ammo.

This accomplishes two things...

1. its a flinch exercise ( to cure it) and 2. are you watching your sights when the trigger breaks?

Just say'n

Edited by Carmine

I started to notice that I was failing to seat my mags during live fire. Now I realize that this can be attributed to dry fire with empty mags.

I actually have noticed the opposite problem, which is why I don't worry about it -- namely, the tension and pressure of match time causes me to be more aggressive and forceful than I am in dry-fire. When I'm on the clock I slam those mags home like I hate them and their mother.

(I use a Glock in Production, so the weight difference isn't as marked as you guys are seeing in Limited fully-loaded.)