Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new followers

stingerjg

If you use the MagPul Ranger basepads they say you have to use these new followers to get 30 in a 30 round mag. Otherwise you drop to 29. I just put some of the MagPul Range pads on some mags and I really like them but don't like losing the round so I guess am going to order some of these and give them a try. I think Wilderness is stocking them now...not postive of that though.

I just ordered a couple sets to put in some old Sanchez GI 30’s I have kicking around.

I noticed that the red one was called a slightly oversized prototype version and the brown one was called a 1st generation production version, so I bought enough of the brown to do the job and one of the red oversize three packs just in case. WTH, I can always use the red ones to mark beater practice mags

More later after I try them out. Thanks for the tip.

--

Regards,

• 3 weeks later...

The reviews are good here too! Just used 3 of my old USGI mags with the tan followers in a match last weekend and function was flawless, even with a full 30 loaded in the mags. I couldn’t do that reliably with these same mags before the follower change.

The red ones were so oversized that they would not fit in any of my USGI mags. The tan ones are the hot setup.

These followers are amazing. You absolutely cannot make them nosedive. 5 Stars. Absolutely fantastic product.

--

Regards,

My guns all work 100% with the old black followers (although I have a few of the green too). Am I lucky, is it the guns/mags, or will I start to have problems sooner or later?

I have no doubt the Magpull followers are a great product, but I am hesitant to fix something that does not seem to be broken.

On the other hand, if I could expect the Magpull followers to be more reliable than what I have under extreme conditions (like a magazine full of sand or mud), then I'd be inclined to try them.

The green USGI followers were designed to correct the common "bolt over" jam and prevent the round from nosediving. I know people who've used the original black followers for years and never had a problem. I was using the black followers until I started getting the "bolt over" jam, then switched to the green USGI follower and have not had a magazine-related malfunction since.

The green USGI followers are about $1/each. The MagPul followers are about $2.25 each. If your black followers are working, stick with them. I don't see how the MagPul followers are any different or better than the green USGI followers, except they seem more "beefy".

I've seen my black followers "tilt" when I'm loading them, but I've yet to have a bolt-over malfunction. I should probably knock on wood.

I wonder if they would be more prone to having problems if they got too dirty to move freely, and whether or not the Magpull version would be better under those circumstances.

But you're right ... if they work, they work!

Rhino,

What do you mean when you say your mags get dirty? Are you referring to competition or duty use? If competition use, do you clean the mag if it hits the ground? I've been using the Pro Grip Mag Slick on my mags and my green USGI follower always comes up.

Looking on Mag Pul's web site, they say, "Featuring Patent Pending 4 way anti-tilt design and Teflon additive." I would like to read their patent application, to see how it differs from the green USGI follower. To me, it seems that the legs are longer and the sides a little wider to prevent the follower from moving around in the magazine. There isn't a way to search for patents that are pending on the USPTO's web site.

I did see a patent for a "magazine lip forming tool", for reforming the lips on a AR magazine.

Edited by davidwiz

The green USGI followers were designed to correct the common "bolt over" jam and prevent the round from nosediving.

The USGI mags (Sanchez Mfg.) I put the Magpul followers in already had the greenie’s in them, but they would still lock up if I put more than 26-27 rounds in them. The follower was sticking after the first or second round when they were full and then turning the mags into salt shakers (you turn the mag upside down and rounds fall out).

The green followers did cure the nosedive problem that was occurring when the mags had less than 10-12 rounds in them with the original black followers. The funny thing was that before I switched to greenie’s the USGI’s ran fine loaded to a full thirty rounds with the black followers, I just had to change mags before they started jamming from too few rounds in them back then.

The Magpul followers may be more expensive in comparison to the green ones, but for $2.25 apiece, I now have 3 more perfectly working 30 round mags. If you live in California, that is a huge thing.

--

Regards,

George,

That's very interesting. I've never heard of USGI mags that wouldn't hold a full 30rnds. I have about 3 different kinds of USGI mags, and all of mine hold 30rnds and feed fine - all have the green follower in them. The only time people have said to me that they had to download their mags was when they wanted to seat the mag with the bolt forward/closed.

-David

1st and 2nd round stoppages were happening no matter what the bolt position was. The follower just wasn’t getting going at first and following the rounds until the spring tension lessened a little. Spraying the mags and follower with Silicone just before loading would make them run with 30 most of the time, but still not 100%. I never figured out whether it was nose, tail, or the sides of the follower that was hanging up, but it was the follower not following at first.

Ironically the greenie’s did fix the partial mag nosedive stoppages and made “my” metal 30’s reliable if downloaded. Previously, only my Thermold 30’s have been 100% reliable from 30 to 0 rounds. The USGI 30’s I have are a little bit not square along the length and look like a Picasso rectangle when viewed critically. This may have something to do with the red oversized Magpul followers not fitting in any of my Sanchez made 30’s.

--

Regards.

Wow, so many issues with GI mags. I have a bunch of 30's all are Okay's with both black and green followers and a few 20's, with metal followers, all Colts. I've never cleaned them or changed any part or even taken them apart and they always work. I rarely drop them because I've been sinching 2 up for the past 2 seasons and I haven't shot a stage requiring more than 60 rounds lately. I put 30 in them and they work fine, even with my JP low mass system. Am I just lucky?

Now my pistol mags are a whole other deal, but the GI mags, never a problem.

One more tidbit. I have 6 real old surplus GI 20’s with the metal followers and they have never given me any problems, ever, in any AR. Same goes with my Thermold 30’s.

I have only used Sanchez Mfg made GI 30’s and they are known to be just average quality for GI mags. And, like I said earlier, they are not exactly rectangular when viewed down their long axis.

--

Regards,

What do you mean when you say your mags get dirty? Are you referring to competition or duty use? If competition use, do you clean the mag if it hits the ground? I've been using the Pro Grip Mag Slick on my mags and my green USGI follower always comes up.

David ... it's mostly just a "concern" on my part, as in I am a worrier (although I rarely do anything to allay my own fears!), so I worry about what will happen if my mag is dirty, etc.

For what it's worth, some of my mags were a little dirty when I bought them (used), so I took them apart and cleaned them. I've not done any more maintenance since then, and I don't think I've ever cleaned any that I've acquired "in the wrapper."

I use the same mags for matches and classes and would use them for "tense social situations" if a problem arose that required some immediate action. They've been maintenance free for me ... but I've only been using most of them for about six years. ;)

No worries Rhino, just seeing what was what. If one of my AR mags hits the ground, it gets taken apart and cleaned, just like a pistol mag. Then when I get home after a match, all the mags get disassembled and cleaned, regardless of whether they hit the ground or not.

George - Do you think the problems you were experienceing with those AR mags were due to a manufacturing defect or a design flaw?

TMC - I wouldn't call it luck. As I've said, I know people who've been using the black plastic USGI followers in their USGI mags since the begining of time and never had a problem. If what you're using works 100%, I see no reason to change.

-David

No worries Rhino, just seeing what was what. If one of my AR mags hits the ground, it gets taken apart and cleaned, just like a pistol mag. Then when I get home after a match, all the mags get disassembled and cleaned, regardless of whether they hit the ground or not.

That's the good thing about shooting a single stack 1911. Cleaning the mags is ... "optional." I dropped several of mine in the mud a couple of months ago and all I had to do was wipe the outside of the tubes and the first couple of rounds and I was back in business. :lol:

TMC - I wouldn't call it luck.  As I've said, I know people who've been using the black plastic USGI followers in their USGI mags since the begining of time and never had a problem.  If what you're using works 100%, I see no reason to change.

I suspect the bolt-overs, like most malfunctions, arise from "tolerance stacking," so some rifles will be more prone to it than others. I think my bad luck with 1911 reliabilty (until the last couple of years!) is balanced by equal good luck with AR reliability. Of course, now that I wrote it, I will probably be sorry!

I think these followers are still in the R&D stage. I remember the owner of Magpul saying they design will probably change depending on what the testers' inputs are.

I've found some huge differences in AR mags. USA mags tend to be absolute junk IMHO. I really smooth gun may run them, but I've had the bolt over jam and had them lock the bolt back on the last round.

I highly recommend the LaBelle 20/30 round mags. The 30 round mags nearly hold 31, drop free, and even with the black followers have been 100% in my Olympic OA-93 carbine.

• 1 month later...

One more month down the road and the Magpul followers have continued to make my old Sanchez 30's 100% reliable from round 1 to round 30. I ran these mags as starter mags on all the RM3G stages and they ran and ran. These are truly worth $2.50 a pop. No BS, my Sanchez 30's have become my frontline mags again after having these followers put in them. 5 Stars!

--

Regards,

Glad to hear the positive reviews. I ordered a bunch for all my mags after we had a BOB malf at the ITRC shooting out of the back of a moving Hum-Vee. This was a high value portion of the stage, and the malf weighed on me heavily after the match. I decided that new mag springs and high zoot followers were just the thing.

The mags may not be to blame at all for our malf, as at the next firing point the gas block fell off. I wonder if it was loose in the hummer and bled off just enough gas to short-stroke. I guess I don't care, new springs and followers will be by far the cheapest part of this match, and I'll sleep better at night.

BTW, Sam cleared the jam and got back to shooting pronto, racking up 25 hits! I think the max was 30, but they probably expended twice the rounds Sam did. Way to go dude!