Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RO procedures question

rq375

regarding the rules and procedures for ROs at a steel match: I had an experience over the weekend that just doesn't sit right. At a local club steel match I was in a squad of 12 shooters three of which were also ROs. One of the shooter/ROs stood behind the shooting box and had rather loud conversations all day when he was not shooting or ROing. This individual was asked to quiet down several times by the other ROs, but continued to do so after a brief pause. The loud talker RO had a shooter standing in the box, and took a phone call before giving the make ready. When I was up, I was standing in the box for what was probably not that long, but definately longer than normal while the loud talker RO had a conversation behind me, one of the other ROs said "hey, you know you have a shooter in the box ready to go?" at that point loud talker turned around and said "oh ok, uh, make ready", as I made ready, he turned back around and continued his conversation. As I waited for the shooter ready for what seemed like an unusual length of time, the RO finally turned back around and said "yeah, uh, whenever you are ready". While I know I must learn to deal with outside interference, I do not think the above behavior was appropriate due to first time shooters and the junior on our squad. What I don't know is if any of the above is actually against any rules, and if I could/should have done anything more than complain to the other RO. Thanks

Darned inconsiderate of the RO. When I have a shooter in the box, all my attention is on the shooter, outside conversations are uncalled for. You could bring it to the attention of the MD. Since it was a local match, there probably isn't much you can do, except explain to the new/junior shooters, that the way he was RO'ing wasn't proper.

I totally agree with KMCA. Next time, go to the MD (after giving him warning first) and inform them of the situation. It is their job to institute a safe and productive environment for each shooter. I am sure they would have done something different. I am a MD for my local Steel Challenge match and I would have removed him from being an RO and asked him to either keep conversations down or not to participate. Sorry you had to experience that but that is not the norm!

RANGE OFFICER'S CREED

"During the course of a stage, my attention shall be clearly focused on the particular competitor I am assigned to observe, and I shall not permit my attention to be misdirected or lax."

Very irresponsible of the RO. :angry2:

Darned inconsiderate of the RO. When I have a shooter in the box, all my attention is on the shooter, outside conversations are uncalled for. You could bring it to the attention of the MD. Since it was a local match, there probably isn't much you can do, except explain to the new/junior shooters, that the way he was RO'ing wasn't proper.

I agree in part, but the MD can DQ for 8.3.2 of SCSA provisional rules and should do so and NOT accept this behavior. It makes everyone look bad

regarding the rules and procedures for ROs at a steel match: I had an experience over the weekend that just doesn't sit right. At a local club steel match I was in a squad of 12 shooters three of which were also ROs. One of the shooter/ROs stood behind the shooting box and had rather loud conversations all day when he was not shooting or ROing. This individual was asked to quiet down several times by the other ROs, but continued to do so after a brief pause. The loud talker RO had a shooter standing in the box, and took a phone call before giving the make ready. When I was up, I was standing in the box for what was probably not that long, but definately longer than normal while the loud talker RO had a conversation behind me, one of the other ROs said "hey, you know you have a shooter in the box ready to go?" at that point loud talker turned around and said "oh ok, uh, make ready", as I made ready, he turned back around and continued his conversation. As I waited for the shooter ready for what seemed like an unusual length of time, the RO finally turned back around and said "yeah, uh, whenever you are ready". While I know I must learn to deal with outside interference, I do not think the above behavior was appropriate due to first time shooters and the junior on our squad. What I don't know is if any of the above is actually against any rules, and if I could/should have done anything more than complain to the other RO. Thanks

Is this RO actually certified by any organization or just playing RO?

Pat

Definitely contact the MD. If this guy just received his RO, then it is obvious he didn't learn anything and the MD should be made aware. Locally we have enough problems recruiting new shooters without an idiot looking to improve his social status by becoming an RO running them off. The MD will definitely want to be made aware rather than hear it through the grapevine.

If he's not paying 100% attention to the shooter on the line, the he isn't an RO. At best: he's an annoyance. Worse: he's going to miss something and somebody can get hurt bad. Worst: he isn't paying attention and causes a distraction/hinderance to the guy on the line (imagine a USPSA match where the shooter concentrating on his run collides with him because he's checking his phone), and he causes a potentially fatal accident. More than it being your right to report him to the MD, I would argue that it's your responsibility.

Report him (and he's probably already been reported by others before you or in your squad), and then brush it off and shoot another match! :cheers:

Is this RO actually certified by any organization or just playing RO?

Pat

He was USPSA RO certified earlier this month.

I'd call the RO course instructor and have a nice conversation hoping a chastizing from an RMI would be beneficial.