Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sprinco Recoil Reducer

spartacuslv

I have run the Sprinco in two different guns.

Both Springcos are for sale-cheap.

It is actually a wonderful idea, HK use to run a two spring recoil system. They do change the way the gun feels during the firing cycle.

Personally I do not like it. Hence I do not use them anymore.

• 3 months later...

for what it is worth, my 2 cents follows.

I have looked at sprinco occasionally over the years out of curiosity. i have fired some double recoil spring guns that were very efficient, and after reading an article on them by the WC, am pretty conviced that they are effective. That being said, the reason that I havent purchased one is the same reason that BE gave. It is a problem waiting to happen. I have run into my share of match meltdowns (which seems to be on a regular basis, because i suck), and do believe that the sprinco in a 1911 is a major meltdown waiting to happen.

want to change the way your 1911 recoils? heavy bullet over fast powder with a variable recoil spring.

• 4 months later...

Felt recoil changes. There is no arguement over that. Weither you like it or not, well that's a different story. I have arthritus and can not shoot any pistol without one. I think they are amazing, they allow me to shoot without pain. I have never had any wear on a gun from one.

• 6 months later...

I have carried, used for selfprotection, duty carry, and have handloaded my own +p+ ammo for a 1911 before it was on the market. The greatest inprovement I have found to reduce muzzle flip and improve relibility is a 22 pound recoil spring. I do not have a limp wristing problem, and have never had a problem with them. I would suggest you try it on your own before taking my word for this modification, but it has worked well for me for over 30 years and thousads of rounds.

Tested the Sprinco quite a bit back in the day. Did not like it, for two reasons. It introduced a pogo-stick like feel to the recoil and recovery cycle. And, why bring in a potential reliability issue in a area that's already trouble free. (Sprinco breaks and you are dead in the water.)

be

I have used about five different "dual spring" captive recoil assemblies in various autos: Beretta 92, Browning HP, SIG 226, Glock 35, Springfield XD.

1) The main advantage I see is they absolutely stop the slide from hitting the frame, ie no frame battering can occur.

2) Second advantage is the recoil spring is a captive assembly so I don't have to fight the spring in and out.

3) Reduce felt recoil? I did not feel it, but some people swear they do.

There is a scientific reason why they MIGHT..... although total recoil energy is constant, the way it's applied is not. An auto shows two recoil impulses on firing (bigger one at ignition, smaller one when slide hits frame). The moving slide assembly spreads the recoil impulse out over time, lowering it's peak value. Using the softer first spring means the slide moves at a lower level of recoil, so the first impulse peak is lower.

One downside: on striker fired guns like a Glock, DON'T USE A LIGHTER RECOIL SPRING. The recoil spring keeps the slide in battery and the softer spring allowed my slide to move a tiny bit as I pulled the trigger. I could see the barrel starting to drop out of battery as the striker went off..... so not using it.

Edited by bountyhunter

• 2 weeks later...

It seems to me that most negative opinions on the Sprinco are based on experiences from ' back in the day '. Back in the day Sprincos were different. Guns and ammunition were also much different. They have since made significant improvements to the Sprinco. They now have a different owner. . Have an open mind and try one out. I recently tried a friend's Glock 35 with a Sprinco and liked it so much that I will be putting my STI Eagle on the shelf and shooting my new Glock platform. This comes from an individual who had Sprincos back in the day and did not like them. Besides check out their 100% guarantee......you cannot go wrong !

I sent this link to Allen, and sent me a long e-mail about sprinco, the back in day guys were correct there was the pogo stick feel because the sub spring to heavy. and they did break. but all those issues have been fix and it is now a quality product.

also for those who do not like there sprinco ask him to fix it. for my M & P's he puts a extra coil in the sub spring and has made me 14# recoil spring.

part of Allen's letter.

As far as our rods breaking Sig takedown levers, I have never had a single customer come up with that one, but the gunsmith / shooter who takes that stance goes out of his way to flame us on the Sig Forum and any other opportunity that comes his way. I would be the first one to get hammered by an angry customer if that were the case, but he’s the only one who ever comes up with that report, even on the Sig Forum. He was only exposed to the product in the early days, just as was Brian and many other GM’s back in that era. Based on the product that they were exposed to, I certainly can’t fault them for their accurate observations regarding breakage of the early parts and the “pogo stick” feel. I have also never had a customer complain that our parts caused premature wear on the receiver , slide stops, or any other components on their guns, but everything you read in Forums has to be the Gospel, as you well know.

Folks like you and Jim Shanahan who have invested the time and effort to experiment with different springs to tweak their pistols to the setup that works best for them are happy campers, and you know that I am always willing to work with a customer to help meet their individual needs. Competition shooters who have tweaked all manner of other components on their pistols, especially 1911’s / 2011’s built up by individual gunsmiths from frame kits have to realize that when you change things on one end, there may have to be some compensation for that on our end vs. a factory complete pistol. Most production gun companies have dimensional differences from gun to gun, whether they be machined or injection molded that have to be analyzed, not to mention the different loads and mindset preferences of the individual shooters. Custom guns take that part of the equation into a totally different category.

I run on in my limited and my open gun. My guns shoot a hole, I run them so my guns don't get beat up. I still spring

my guns for the load. My guns shoot flat. My limited gun has over 100K rounds on it, it still has the same barrel,

barrel link, and slide stop in it. Anyone that has shot my guns has bought one.

Lots of shooters are formulating their opinions on ' back in the day ' and/or on what others have to say. I suggest that you buy one or borrow a friend's Sprinco, make sure that you have the right spring for the caliber/ load and go and shoot. After you do this you will be better capable of rendering an opinion. I have to confess that I was living ' back in in the day ' myself. And after I tried a friend's Glock 35 with a Sprinco my opinion changed. The gun performed better that my STI 6 inch Eagle.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT; There must be a reason why so many gun manufacturers are going to the double spring recoil system.