Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

230gr missouri bullet lrn and titegroup

TerryYu

I was wondering if anyone has loaded titegroup behind a 230gr lrn Missouri bullet and lived to tell the tale.

I dug up a load on hodgson's website for 4.0gr of titegroup at 1.20 that is supposed to make major. Has anyone chrono something similar? I'm going to shoot it out of a normal length 1911.

The second question is should I keep titegroup or swap it out with clays. Seems like everyone shoots it so it must be good. Amiright?

I will. I'll swing by the gun shop and buy a pound of clays. Then I'll load 50 and shoot them side by side and I'll post back and tell you what I think.

What powder do you think smokes the least? I could try some of that too.

you've hit the two I run already. I use titegroup in most jacketed loads in 9/40/45 to keep things simple but I prefer clays for lead 45.

you can try a search in the 45 reloader section but I bet you a donut most people recommended clays.........

Got my bottle of clays. Time to play.

Edit:

Loaded up 50 230gr LRNs with 4.0gr of Clays at 1.265-1.270. Headed to the range to shoot them against 50 230gr LRNs with 4gr of Titegroup at 1.20.

Edited by EatsShootsandLeafs

national-donut-day-2010.jpg

There you go.

The Clays smoked less than Titegroup, although they were both mega smokers. It's like saying the Exxon Valdez is less damaging than Deepwater Horizon. I was still standing in a personal smoke screen after 8 rounds of either rapid fire, but I could still see the target after shooting the Clays. I was getting the occasional, "What's he shooting?" from the mall ninjas next to me in between them making 2 foot groups and shooting down the target carrier :roflol:

I need to tweak my load a bit. Seems like it's not quite as accurate as my Bayou coated 200grs. I was having a flyer every mag or two and was making probably a 4 inch group at 15 yards freehanding, while the Bayous were grouping within an inch. I'll have to practice more with the 230gr before I make a solid conclusion on them, seemed like my 200grs were snappier and sights reset a bit faster but I'm no where good enough to take advantage of that yet. The 230s felt pretty good. Solid recoil but very manageable, makes me feel like I can drive the gun about as fast as my 9mms.

I used 4.2 Titegroup with the Missouri 230 grain bullet at 1.255 OAL for 743f/s.

They are supposed to be a bit softer than most of the commercial loaders.

Didn't notice anything bad.

All lead bullets will smoke, under certain weather conditions, or indoors, it can be pretty noticable.

3.7 Clays gave the same velocity.

All in a 1911.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know if I'm just lucky or what but I shoot a lot of MBC Softballs out of my 1911's using unique and they dont smoke much at all. Sometimes the first round or two does a little, then it magically dissapears to nothing. I load 231 in it also but have noticed it smokes more than Unique for me. I have heard great things about clays though in 45, not so much in 9 though. Unique though I load in every pistol caliber with great results.

I have started using Ramshot Competition with 230 LRN from SnS Casting and am happy with the performance. Powder is relatively inexpensive and meters well on my 550. I have been using 3.7 grains and makes major. I also use it in my 9mm 147 grain LTC. Doesn't smoke any more or less that any other powder I have used.