Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Real Chicago food coming to PHX!

Oh man, I'm so jealous! I'm a prisoner over here in Iowa. It might be 10 am, but I'd kill for a big beef with hot peppers and mozzarella.

My particular poison is the Combo! Sweet and hot peppers. Nature's perfect food!

PS: Iowa City? I almost went to grad school there.

Edited by ChuckS

We go to Chicago every summer for a weekend, catch a Cubs game, and eat. Al's Beef, best in town. Gotta get it "wet", dipped in the gravy they make the beef in, & with the spicy giardinara on it. We also go to Lou Malnati's for deep dish pizza. Finish up with Garrett Popcorn, Chicago mix, with caramel & cheese mixed together.

Lived in Peoria, IL for a few years and you'd think being that close to Chicago someone would have a decent pizza or Italian beef, but no. Now live in Mississippi and forget about any food even remotely like what you find in Chicago, not saying the food down here is bad, because it's not, just miss some good pizza, Italian beef or German food.

We go to Chicago every summer for a weekend, catch a Cubs game, and eat. Al's Beef, best in town. Gotta get it "wet", dipped in the gravy they make the beef in, & with the spicy giardinara on it. We also go to Lou Malnati's for deep dish pizza. Finish up with Garrett Popcorn, Chicago mix, with caramel & cheese mixed together.

I'm jealous, every time I visit Chicago it's to see my wife's family and all we do is visit with the family, rarely ever get to enjoy the city, which really bites.

Good choice in Pizza there. Its the only deep dish I actually find enjoyable... so hungry now...

Edited by splitime

Man I miss Portillo's. The owners always said they would never franchise out of that certain suburban area. I can remember when I was in high school they were offered millions to franchise in Japan, and they said NO.

I grew up in a suburb of Chicago (Naperville) and have to say, Portillo's is one of the top 3 things I miss about living there...

However, crappy gun laws, terrible traffic and snow far outweigh an awesome Italian beef!!!

Hurm, I wonder if there is a Portillos in downtown Chicago yet... guess I'll need to go outside at lunch and check for one ;)

It's on Ohio, just north of the McDonald's.

However, crappy gun laws, terrible traffic and snow far outweigh an awesome Italian beef!!!

Thus why my family lives in NW Indiana now! Have your Portillo's in Merrilville and avoid the BS!

Hurm, I wonder if there is a Portillos in downtown Chicago yet... guess I'll need to go outside at lunch and check for one ;)

It's on Ohio, just north of the McDonald's.

Thanks, didn't get around to googling it. Looks a hair far to do during lunch, ah well.