Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is a 2lb trigger safe for games?

TerryYu

If you feel "Scared" about shooting a light trigger then you need to take a long hard look at your safety skills in keeping your finger off the trigger when you don't want it to fire.

I always train to keep my finger out of the trigger. What made me nervous is that one time when I was shooting the plate rack I fired off a shot in the middle of transitioning between plates without mentally approving the shot. That meant I wasn't in complete control of the gun 100% of the time.

Just finished at the range. I'm not ready for a 2 pound trigger. The surprise break is too surprising for my level of shooting. Bought a new sear spring and will be trying for a 3.5 pound pull.

The only way to get used to the light trigger and suprise break is to train with it. Several hours of dry firing and a few range sessions will get you where you need to be. A light trigger is a bit of a challenge shooting weak hand so make sure you train weak hand also.

Good luck :cheers:

The better you are the lighter the trigger? Lol :eatdrink: I had that trigger bouncy thing happen nice three round burst all A's. Scared the $&@t out of me. Lmao :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

Edited by a matt

Yes, it is safe. All triggers are safe depending on your premise. Mine being, the trigger doesn't move until the shooter touches it. Really the question should be, are 2 pound triggers safe for every shooter?

Edited by Chris iliff

Here's a thought you may (or not) have considered. I have neuropathy in my hands that makes it difficult to run a "high end" trigger. I double a 2#, seldom double a 3.5# and can run 5# all day. It may not be a factor for you but consideration of what your hands are capable of should be a part of any decision on equipment.

Yes, it is safe. All triggers are safe depending on your premise. Mine being, the trigger doesn't move until the shooter touches it.

I think a poor 2# trigger job could be susceptible to an AD just from the jiggle of running with the gun, even if it was never touched by the trigger finger. I think your premise is flawed!

Mike

Yes, it is safe. All triggers are safe depending on your premise. Mine being, the trigger doesn't move until the shooter touches it.

I think a poor 2# trigger job could be susceptible to an AD just from the jiggle of running with the gun, even if it was never touched by the trigger finger. I think your premise is flawed!

Mike

Or a worn out trigger job can also cause an AD. I had to DQ a friend because the hammer dropped and fired a round when he slammed in a fresh magazine during a reload. angry.gif

Mike

Or a worn out trigger job can also cause an AD. I had to DQ a friend because the hammer dropped and fired a round when he slammed in a fresh magazine during a reload. angry.gif

trigger weight probably didn't cause that.

if the front of the disconnector isn't relieved correctly the top round in the mag hits the disconnector releasing the hammer.

I dry fired for about an hour last night and am starting to gain confidence with the trigger. I think the next step is to buy a magwell as I've noticed that reloads are much harder with single stack mags. Probably takes me about 1 second longer to reload than with my beretta.

Dryfire will get you through it. One thing I like is to sit in a porch swing and and just prep the trigger on a spot I pick out, don't drop the hammer, just present the pistol, find your sights and prep the trigger. You will find your "happy place" pretty fast.

Dryfire a few days and if you don't have an AD in DF, you pretty much have it beat.

Mike

trigger weight probably didn't cause that.

if the front of the disconnector isn't relieved correctly the top round in the mag hits the disconnector releasing the hammer.

In his case, it was a sear face that had gotten worn out and rounded according to the gunsmith.

Back on topic, I know that some people have the quest for the lightest crisp trigger, but what really matters is figuring out the right trigger for you. It's not just a matter of squeezing the trigger, but also getting the feedback from the trigger. The earlier post about the guy with neuropathy was right on target about that being the right trigger for him.

My premise wasn't a worn or crappy or old trigger. My premise is a good trigger done by a competent gunsmith in good condition. Is it safe? You bet, safe all day long. Cock the gun and set in your safe it'll still be there years later.....SAFE and still cocked.

Is the shooter safe? Couldn't tell you unless I've seen him shoot for a long time.

Once again, question should be.... Am "I" able to use a 2 pound trigger?

IMHO the word "safe" should only be applied to people not properly functioning inanimate objects such as motorcycles, knives, guns, triggers etc. but, maybe that's just me.

Edited to add: anybody gonna tell TGO his 1 pound triggers aren't safe? I'd love to hear that conversation.

Edited by Chris iliff