Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady 68 gr BTHP & 69 gr SMK

Onagoth

Can you guys recommend the best powder for these loads?

To be shot out of my 1:8 18" AR15 and used for 3 gun. Looking to get around MOA accuracy, but they'll be used for 200-400 yard steel targets in 3 gun matches.

I have RL15 and H335, but have also read alot about TAC and AA2230.

Looking for something that meters well too since I'll be loading these through my Hornday LNL AP.

Thanks for your help.

Benchmark is a very accurate powder in .223 with that bullet weight. Your H355 is a similar burn rate but a double base powder. Varget will shoot - you'll have a fairly full case with it and it can meter poorly for some. There are many options. If you already have H355 try it first. Try a hotter primer with the H355 - standard Winchesters SR would/should work well. I've also had good luck with Remington BR 7 1/2s with ball powders. Ignition quality matters at longer ranges, also sort your brass by manufacture, trim cases - Work up slowly. Resist shortcuts and you will be pleased when you hear someone say - "Impact!"

Edited by Doc Hunter

SMK 69 gr: VV133 out of a JP barrel 1/3 MOA and Sabre Defense barrel 1/2 MOA.

The biggest drawback was my 8X scope. If I used a 12+ power scope, I believe I could have the JP at 1/4 and the Sabre at 1/3 MOA.

VV is great and very clean burning. I was pushing around 2900 fps.

As a side note: I was using a seating die that was punishing the tip of the SMK bullets. I had to change seating dies. It seems my first die was set up for a specific bullet profile.

I'm kind of leaning away from Varget as I have heard many people complain about its poor metering. Since these rounds will be loaded in a progressive press, I'd rather use a powder that meters consistently.

24.0 - 25.0 grains of RE 15 with the 69 SMK at 2.250" OAL. I've never found an AR that wouldn't shoot this load well. If I do, I'll rebarrel.

24.5 - 24.8 grains is the sweet spot for me in my ARs for accuracy. .77 MOA average accuracy over 3, 10 round groups at 100 yards. They only run about 2,650 fps, so if you want a flatter trajectory, you'll need to try the upper range. If you push the speed up, the groups will open up as well to 1.2 - 1.5 MOA or so, IME.

Edited by mizer67

24.0 - 25.0 grains of RE 15 with the 69 SMK at 2.250" OAL. I've never found an AR that wouldn't shoot this load well. If I do, I'll rebarrel.

RE 15 works great for 69 & 77s, also on the Hornady 75s. I've been using TAC recently. It uses the same load as RE 15. The difference between the two is not easily recognizable. I've been trying the TAC and use it to load .223 and .308.

I need to do some serious paper shooting and compare the two, I've been distracted with my new 300 Blackout.

the 68s wouldn't shoot worth a damn in my guns - both 18" 1-8 twists. 2230, 2520 and 2460 worked well with sierra 69s loaded to 2650 fps at magazine length 2.245 = half MOA groups. as another poster noted, the groups open up somewhat if you try to drive them hotter.

I've always had better accuracy with Hornady 68 grain match bullets, compared to Sierra 69s. :surprise:

I WAS running 25 grains of Varget behind the Hornadys, and out of my 1-8s, and 1-9s do under an inch at 200 yards. I put together a load with TAC (which meters like water)that matches the velocity of the Varget load, and shoots to the same point of impact. :cheers: