Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Updating an old gun

ZoomZoom

So, the darn thing isn't even in my hands yet but I purchased this from a fellow forum member. Just getting back in the game after a 20+ year break, the gun is super similar to what I use to shoot [minus the C-more of course]. [.38 super]

My plan is to shoot the heck out of it for a while and see what it's like and how I'm doing but I can't help wonder about some upgrades to it.

A bigger mag well is on the way but beyond that, do all y'all have any suggestions to help me spend money upgrading it and advance the recovery of our economy?

Edited by ZoomZoom

Hmmm...

Remove iron sights, install rear slideracker, install scope, install mag well... done.

Might also call jim anglin for a big stick mag.

Changing safeties can be a challenge, as those are specific to the caspian highcap frame. Normal safties can be made to work but it takes some modification.

Edited by caspian guy

Hmmm...

Remove iron sights, install rear slideracker, install scope, install mag well... done.

Changing safeties can be a challenge, as those are specific to the caspian highcap frame. Normal safties can be made to work but it takes some modification.

That sounds like a good plan to me. If you just have to spend more then get the slide down to fighting weight, and consider updating the comp and replacing the barrel. But I think it will be fine without those. Spend the money on bullets, then go shoot them.

If you have to spend more get the slide down to fighting weight, and consider updating the comp and replacing the barrel. Spend the money on bullets, then go shoot them.

All sound advice. Looks like a real nice gun.

I'd start shooting it, and see what YOU think it's

lacking ;)

Hmmm...

That sounds like a good plan to me. If you just have to spend more then get the slide down to fighting weight, and consider updating the comp and replacing the barrel. But I think it will be fine without those. Spend the money on bullets, then go shoot them.

That's pretty much what I'd come up with, shooting a lot being first on the list while adding a racker/mag well. I'd come across the Higher Capacity web site looking for big sticks, any preference for those by Sailor vs Higher Capacity?

It'll be interesting to see what it shoots like as far as recoil with the old 2 port comp. I gotta run Atlanta Arms [major] ammo for a while until I get back up to speed reloading as I sold my 550 when I stopped shooting USPSA.

Edited by ZoomZoom

I don't have any experience with the one from higher capacity, but have used the one I got from jim for several years without issue. Mine was built from 2 of the old style mags, jim also redid the basepad attachment system to use a dawson type pad which is nice. I'd be curious to see a top view of your comp.

Edited by caspian guy

I run an old first gen Caspian wide body also and think you are on the right approach.

Did a couple things to update mine including adding a cmore and an EGW mag well. Be aware that you will need to remove material from the back of the mainspring housing to get the magwell to fully seat on the frame. The magwell is a great addition, though. I really wasn’t sure at first as I felt the stock magwell was plenty big, but what I like is the way the magwell makes my grip more consistent. As I mentioned in another thread, the old stock 19 rounders get swallowed by the EGW, so you might want to think about something to add as bumpers to the stock mags. Caspian makes new 21 round mags with a really nice base pad that is machined to fit the EGW magwell. It seems that some people can make these work, and some can’t . Out of the box, they didn’t even come close to running for me. Basically, I needed to profile the lips to the same basic length as the old style mags, modified it to make the funneling part (indents)of the mag more pronounced to get the upper bullets to stack better and avoid the dreaded “2nd round gap” nose-dive death jam, and added a Grams spring and follower. They seem to be working so far, and I can get 22 rounds reloadable in them with .38 super. So, if you want to spend money and don’t mind spending the time tinkering it might be worth getting one or two of the new 21 rounders and messing with them (if you do, join Shooter’s Connection and buy them there…great service and good prices). Last time I talked to Gary Smith at Caspian he indicated that they were working on getting some mag tubes welded up to make 170mm mags with the new base pad (just take that as an FYI and don’t hold your breath). It will be interesting to see how your barrel and comp works for you. Might not be the “flattest” but frankly I’d rather have something that recoils predictably vs. super flat but bobbles.

Oh, and buy a Dillon and lots of bullets, powder, cases and primers.

It will probably take you a little while to get all the bugs worked out, but Welcome back and enjoy!