Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Primer Alarm on LNL

I have a LNLAP (love it) and am wondering if anyone has used a Dillon Low Primer Alarm on their LNL?

Are the primer tubes the same length?

RCBS makes a similar device, anyone tried it on a LNL?

I have a LNLAP (love it) and am wondering if anyone has used a Dillon Low Primer Alarm on their LNL?

I use the primer dip stick from the Dillon on my LNL, when the last primer is fed it falls into the hole in the slide and locks it back, and I notice it immediately. Not the audiable of the dillon but on the dillon you still have 8 more primers before it runs dry.

The exterior tube of the Hornady is larger and not as long as the Dillon but I think that you could make it work. IMHO don't think it is necessary, the dip stick works fine.

With the Hornady you are using more force to set primers and should notice right away when there is not primer, I set mine to the perfect level, ALL THE WAY.

Edited by CocoBolo

I think I had to cut the Dillon primer follower just a little. This worked very well before I switched to the PTX powder measure. I am having difficulty getting enough clearance between the powder measure and the primer alarm. I can feel when a primer isn't seated so the primer alarm isn't really necessary but I do like it if I could solve the clearance issue.

DSC_5670.JPG

Kevin

I use the "dipstick" too and it holds back the "tray" that feeds the primer every time when I am out. I too can easily tell when I am out without the stick by just the "feel" of the press. The stick does get hung up on the case feeder from time to time as it is too long on the upstroke when I have a full primer hopper. My solution is not to put the stick in until about 30-50 rounds or so, then it doesn't come close to hitting the casefeeder. I guess that I could always put a "witness" mark or flag on the stick but never felt the need to. I always thought that the priming system on the LNL was a well thought out system.

I think I had to cut the Dillon primer follower just a little. This worked very well before I switched to the PTX powder measure. I am having difficulty getting enough clearance between the powder measure and the primer alarm. I can feel when a primer isn't seated so the primer alarm isn't really necessary but I do like it if I could solve the clearance issue.

DSC_5670.JPG

Kevin

I am having the same issue with my setup.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm just looking for a little advanced warning on the primers, and thought the Dillon tool might be the ticket.

Does the Dillon alarm fit over the Hornady primer tube OK?

Yes, it will attach to the tube just fine. If you don't use the PTX you should be good to go. If you use the PTX you might have a clearance issue (as I and one of the previous posters have had.)

inlinefabrication even sells one that will match the LNL paint color.

Kevin

Yes, it will attach to the tube just fine. If you don't use the PTX you should be good to go. If you use the PTX you might have a clearance issue (as I and one of the previous posters have had.)

Kevin

Hi Kevin.

Yes, with the PTX, it gets a little cozy against the powder measure. Buuut.....you can sand off that "hump" that contacts the measure to help free up some room. I sand em all before they are painted now.

Kevin

Hi Kevin.

Yes, with the PTX, it gets a little cozy against the powder measure. Buuut.....you can sand off that "hump" that contacts the measure to help free up some room. I sand em all before they are painted now.

i tried that too and it still has a tendency to pull the primer tub off the press.

Kevin

Hi Kevin.

i tried that too and it still has a tendency to pull the primer tub off the press.

Thanks Daniel I'm going to look at it and see how much clearance that would give. I might just sell the thing as it isn't really necessary to me as I can feel when there is no primer. I really like the PTX measure along with the RCBS lockout die. I'd much rather have the lockout die than the primer alarm.

When the measure contacts the primer alarm body and pulls the inner priming tube up it makes a mess. I think I spilled more primers in one weekend than I have in 25+ years of reloading. :angry2::eatdrink:

Thanks for the input Tim. When mine messes up I can blame Daniel :devil:

Kevin

Thanks for the replies.

I'm just looking for a little advanced warning on the primers, and thought the Dillon tool might be the ticket.

Does the Dillon alarm fit over the Hornady primer tube OK?

Yes but it's too loose. You can shim it. Then cut the rod. And then it will still hit the powder measure in station two. It's fine in station three.

As for the PTX issue, I received the parts and will see if it works this weekend. If it does, I will put a little kit together, but can also tell you where to get the parts if you wanna do it yourself.

Sweet!

As for the PTX issue, I received the parts and will see if it works this weekend. If it does, I will put a little kit together, but can also tell you where to get the parts if you wanna do it yourself.

thanks for the update, I look forward to it.

Simple works. :D

IMG_4446.jpg

IMG_4447.jpg

IMG_4448.jpg

Ram all the way up

IMG_4444.jpg

Parts

IMG_4450.jpg

Aluminum shaft collar, set 6 1\4 below the primer alarm, coupled together by a spring with special longer hooks. The alarm still can rub the powder drop but can't get knocked off the primer tube.

I will get a kit set up on the site tonight.(For my cost + priority shipping to you) If you would like to do it yourself, you can order the parts thru McMasterCarr. Only problem is, they are sold in packs of 6. Part numbers are 6157K15 and 96605K44.

Edited by 1in9twist

Simple works. :D

IMG_4446.jpg

IMG_4447.jpg

IMG_4448.jpg

Ram all the way up

IMG_4444.jpg

Parts

IMG_4450.jpg

Aluminum shaft collar, set 6 1\4 below the primer alarm, coupled together by a spring with special longer hooks. The alarm still can rub the powder drop but can't get knocked off the primer tube.

I will get a kit set up on the site tonight.(For my cost + priority shipping to you) If you would like to do it yourself, you can order the parts thru McMasterCarr. Only problem is, they are sold in packs of 6. Part numbers are 6157K15 and 96605K44.

Just ordered the retention kit, thanks!