Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Browning Buck Mark Lite vs Tac Sol Barrel?

jkrispies

I'm thinking my next gun purchase will be a .22lr pistol for Steel Challenge Rimfire Iron. Trying to figure if I should get a base model (Camper) Buck Mark and just plan on putting a Tac Sol barrel on it, or go with Browning's more expensive "Lite" version. Anybody compared the two?

(Confession: I'm a tinkerer, so I'm already leaning toward the Tac-Sol barrel just for that reason. 7" black barrel with silver flutes, plus matching hogue clear anodized aluminum grips... mmmmm...)

My friend Chis did the camper with hogue grips and tac sol. barrel. My other friend has the light. They feel and shoot the same. It just comes down to looks. I think the tac sol barrel looks much better. I went with the buckmark that has the rubber contoured grips. I love the feel of these grips. I also went with a tac sol barrel. I like the contoured buckmark grips the best but it is hard to beat the looks of the hogue grips with tac sol barrel.

The only other mod I would make is to do the spring flip. It only takes 5 min. and it will lighten the trigger pull. Look it up on youtube for a instructional video. Good luck with the gun, its cheap fun.

Joe, I was slightly wondering that... The "Lite" version they sell seems to be their answer to the Tac Sol barrel conversion since their description of it is very similar to the Tac Sol Barrel. It does look different, though, so I don't think they're the same thing.

The Tactical Solutions barrel looks better, but it is not uncommon for the barrel lug to come unglued from the barrel if the barrel retaining screw is overtightened. How tight is too tight? That varies from frame to frame. Tactical Solutions will repair the barrel for free or you can expoxy it back yourself with JB Weld or Acraglas.

The Browning barrel isn't as pretty as the Tactical Solutions, it costs less, and it doesn't have the barrel lug problem, but they can be hard to find.

Both barrels are very accurate.

The Tactical Solutions barrel looks better, but it is not uncommon for the barrel lug to come unglued from the barrel if the barrel retaining screw is overtightened...

Hhmmm... <_< That's good info that I'd never heard before. As far as the looks of the Lite version, yes it isn't as pretty but it's not ugly either, especially with the grey color, IMHO. That and it's cheaper when all is said and done. This could be a definite game changer for me...

I guess I should add that I'm bringing up the Tac Sol because that happens to be the one I've heard of with regards to Buck Marks. When I built my daughter's 10/22 I went with another maker rather than Tac Sol. Not that I'm against them in any way, I'm just not one who has to go with Tac Sol because that's what all the cool kids are doing.

If somebody else knows of a different option, I'm willing to listen.

Edited by jkrispies

The Tactical Solutions barrel looks better, but it is not uncommon for the barrel lug to come unglued from the barrel if the barrel retaining screw is overtightened. How tight is too tight? That varies from frame to frame. Tactical Solutions will repair the barrel for free or you can expoxy it back yourself with JB Weld or Acraglas.

The Browning barrel isn't as pretty as the Tactical Solutions, it costs less, and it doesn't have the barrel lug problem, but they can be hard to find.

Yep, that happened to my TacSol barrels.

I'm pretty darn sure that the Browning Lite barrel is made by TacSol.

they have come out with a new two screw design.I sent mine in for repair it broke after 500 rounds, they sent a whole new barrel, it broke after 300, now they are sending me the new design.

Edited by strongbow67

I doubt very much that the BM Lite barrel is a TS. It has a thicker liner than the TS and uses a different method of bonding the barrel sleeve and liner together. The BM rifle used to be available with a carbon-fiber sleeved barrel similar to the VQ but not built by them either.

Scott Volquartsen has talked about doing some BM barrels in normal sizes, both alloy and CF. He has for sometime made one CF Buckmark barrel for the Silhouette Ultimate that is 14" in length.

I have shot BMs with TS alloy barrel (I use 2), and the BM Lite and Contour Lite. I like the TS better but they tend to shoot about the same.

Edited by photoracer

fyi, I contacted Tactical Solutions and asked them if they manufactured the browning barrel. Their answer was a bit confusing so I did a back and forth to confirm that they do NOT manufacture the Browning barrel.

Photoracer, just curious why you prefer the TS? (Better balance, etc.?)

Bill D, I hope you find your grandson. :roflol:

Edited by jkrispies