Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sights not lifting straight up?

TerryYu

Recently I've been learning to watch the sights lift as the gun recoils and I've determined that mine don't go straight up and down.

I shoot a Beretta 92F in production as a lefty and I will see my sights (actually the gun) go up and to the left at a 45 degree angle. I've heard that guns recoiling in directions is due to not enough pressure on that side, but I have tried a white knuckle death grip on my left hand to no avail.

Am I missing something?

I'm shooting two handed, thumbs forward. My loads are 4gr of titegroup under a 124gr bullet. Probably 130pf or so.

I also shoot left handed.

Edited by EatsShootsandLeafs

If your left handed then your thumbs are on the right side of the gun. Are pushing against the side of the slide and frame with your thumbs? I noticed a much straighter up and down sight tracking with thumbs off the gun. Try shooting thumbs on and off of the gun, you shouldn't notice any difference in the amount of sight lift, just the direction the sight tracks.

The most important thing is that they return to the same spot after each shot. It doesn't matter how they recoil as long as your in a neutral position and the front sight returns to the same spot after each shot.

I just got done reading chapter 2 of Beyond Fundamentals and realized that I've been muscling the gun in order to have perfect up and down sights, which caused my support thumb to touch the frame which also caused my sights to bounce after my DA shots.

Whoa... getting thumbs off the gun fixed both problems

Can't wait to go to the range tomorrow and try that out!

How are you applying pressure with your support hand?

That's to say, a lot of folks tend to only use their fingers and squeeze inward toward the palm, as opposed to applying equal grip pressure from both sides of the pistol-- driving those fingertips towards the palm while pressing the "meaty portion" behind the thumb into the gripping surface.

You can feel the different muscles involved by just playing around with these concepts-- from the hands themselves all the way to your forearms.

NPOA?

I've been working on precision rifle.

I had a string with what was apparently perfect NPOA.

I shot a 'ragged hole' 5 shot group using iron sights (prone).

I could see the sights fall back EXACTLY where they were with no muscle effort.

It was cool.

Now I just have to be able to do it every time :)

I tried for a while to get my sights to lift straight up, but I found, just as others have said, as long as your sights come back to the same place consistently, then that is the beginning to shooting a's fast