Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Economical Shotguns

Eric_Vmax

Yeah, Yeah, go to a match and ask. I would like to at least get an idea of what things might cost before getting into mult-gun. I have a pistol (open or production) and a AR-15 carbine (iron sights). Will my Remington 870 cut it? Is a Kel-Tec KSG Pump legal or ideal?

Remington 870 is more than adequate for a beginner to the sport. I shot my entire first year (including my first MGM Ironman) with an 870. That being said you will be behind the guys running autos. If you already have an 870 I suggest using it until you feel that it is holding you back or you can afford to upgrade to a semi auto.

The keltec KSG will put you in open more than likely, and in open you will be competing with saigas, akdals, and speed fed semi autos.

Your Rem. 870 more than good enough to get started in 3Gun. For shotgun stages it more about the reload than auto vs. pump. As long as you can run the pump well it is fine. Practicing your reloads is really key. I don't feel I give up anything to the autos (other than open guns) with my 870.

I usually just run the cheapest 7 1/2 target loads off the shelf at wally world. Multi-gun rules tend to have a bit of variation depending on where you are, but it's common to specify nothing bigger than #6 shot. Some places even request that you don't use high-brass shells. The one universal rule is no steel shot. Fairly common to see some slug targets as well, so always good to keep a few of those around. In any case, sounds like the loads you've got will do just fine.

eric,

i'm fairly new to multi gun. i started off with an 870P, because i also wanted to use it for home defense.

plenty of shooters use pumps...when you get more serious/addicted, you can spend more $$$ on a semi.

At my one and only match, so far, I used my Benelli SuperNova 24" pump gun. I gave up little to many average shooters. I happen to be more "spendy" than some and I eventually bought a Remington VersaMax 26" which is on the FedEx truck heading back to me from C-rums. But no need to imitate my bad spending habits. Drive that 870 all you can! I like 870s. Reloading and accuracy are your friends at first. Get to know them, so to speak. And try out other shotguns at matches when you can. All the best to you!

If you are in NC let me know and you can try mine.

:cheers: