Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major with 165's

southernshooter

I know the trend to making major power factor is using heavier bullets with fast powders. I have used a wide variety of 180 grain bullets with powders such as titegroup, vv320 and solo 1000. Well, recently, I shot some factory loaded 165's and I really liked the recoil impulse from that load. What I want to know is if there is anybody out there that uses or has used the mentioned powders to make major with a jacketed 165? I shoot a Glock 22 with a kkm barrel so I load at 1.135. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

most of us using lighter bullets in .40 are using them in 6" guns at longer oals. I personally like the recoil impulse with the 165s in my new 6" vs the 180s using N320. 5.4 grains of N320 with a 165 grain Zero jhp at 1.180 oal gets me 172 pf. the powders you mentioned are probably the 3 most popular powders in .40 also. tons of load data on this website, but a bunch of it is for long oals out of STI type guns.

Edited by blaster113

I have been loading 165 zero bullets with N320 for 10 years now and I love them. I have loaded them long and short, for Glocks and STI's. My short load is 5.2 @1.135 I would suggest starting at about 5.0 and work your way up. Good luck and I hope you like them as much as I do.

Zero 165 jhp, with 5.1 320, loaded short, for my Glock mags. :cheers:

This is what i cam up with as well in an 5" xd and CZ TS...............

It is just a lot easier and probably safer to run a heavier bullet to major power factor.

It is just a lot easier and probably safer to run a heavier bullet to major power factor.

Basically all factory .40 ammo makes major, so I wouldn't be too concerned about loading any size bullet to major unless you're filling the case with C4.

Also, I suspect that because pressure = force / area, that it's safer and easier to make a certain power factor with a lighter bullet, because the incremental change in powder charge (force) is far less than that the incremental increase in area caused by a shorter bullet (which doesn't take up as much space in the case).

This is, of course, not a substitute for sound loading practices, but if you prefer 165s over 180s, enjoy!

Edited by twodownzero

Zero 165 jhp, with 5.1 320, loaded short, for my Glock mags. :cheers:

just curious, what PF are you getting with this load? at 1.180 with 5.1 grains I got a minor pf of about 160.

Without digging out my notes, I'm pretty sure they were about 168pf.

When I load them out to 1.2" OAL, I had to bump up to 5.5 grains of 320.

No access to a chrono at present, but from the load data about 6.4 gr WSF should do it loaded short.

Cannot help with OPs listed powders, and this is out of a G35 with factory barrel. 6.6grn WSF under 165grn Precision Delta FMJ averaged 1029fps for a 169.8 power factor. That was at major USPSA match and the 3 shots ran 1028, 1030 and 1031 fps at about 75 degress if I remember right.

I too prefer the recoil impulse of the 165gr bullets in my .40S&W 1911. I use 5.3gr of SOLO 1000 under 165gr Montana Gold JHP bullet at an OAL of 1.190" and crimped to 0.421" which gives produces 170PF out of a 5" barrel. This load produces better accuracy than what I was able to obtain when shooting 180gr bullets.

Looking for a load for a G-35 MG 165g JHP , Titegroup.

I tried loading 5.0gr of Titegroup behind a Montana Gold 165gr JHP at an OAL of 1.135" and, though it made Major (barely), my G35 just wasn't as accurate as when shooting 180gr bullets (which is interesting because my 1911 prefers 165gr bullets with S1000).

Edited by Cy Soto

Thanks for the info, that's about what I figured the load would be. Interesting on accuracy for 165g, I just got a shipment, so will have to see how it goes.

Looking for a load for a G-35 MG 165g JHP , Titegroup.

I tried loading 5.0gr of Titegroup behind a Montana Gold 165gr JHP at an OAL of 1.135" and, though it made Major (barely), my G35 just wasn't as accurate as when shooting 180gr bullets (which is interesting because my 1911 prefers 165gr bullets with S1000).

Thanks for the info, that's about what I figured the load would be. Interesting on accuracy for 165g, I just got a shipment, so will have to see how it goes.

It's not like the accuracy was "minute of paper plate" or nothing like that. It's just that the 180's seemed to group a little bit better. Maybe, if I had gone to 5.1gr or even 5.2gr, the accuracy would have been better but, truth be told, I didn't try it.

I loaded up the first batch of zero 165's with 5.0 of N320 at 1.135. Recoil was a touch more snappy when compared side by side to my cast lead 180's with 4.1 of N320. The accuracy, in my opinion, could have been better, so I loaded up another batch with 5.0 of titegroup. Recoil impulse was the same as the N320 loads but the accuracy was better. All in all, I like the 165's but I do prefer the 180 grainers and specifically, my own cast lead boolits. The accuracy and recoil from those is by far the best that I've used.