Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

old dillon sd

Hi all, looking for some advice,

I'm looking to reload for 5 different pistol's, no rifle. I shoot about 500 rounds of each different cal. anually. I know i want a dillon press but I am unsure about the dillon sd or 650(auto indexing is a must). Also I have found an old sd in 45 cal. for $100.00 but the owner says it doesn't have a primer feeder and no auto indexing, did the old sd's not have auto indexing or primer feeds or is this sd just missing some parts??? I'm thinking eventually i'll have 2 sd's and change the dies maybe once or twice a year, or just get the 650 with 5 dies? Unsure what to do???

If it doesn't auto index anymore, it sounds like it's missing parts. $100 is a great price though.

As for which one to buy, Square Deal or 650, have YOU used either? I like Square Deals (and 550s) but not everyone who loads on a Square Deal likes them...

Dillon will take the press and rebuild it either free or cheaply. I load on a 1050 so no experience with the dillon lifetime warranty I hear it is awesome.

Reloading is alot of fun. If there is someone around you that loads I am sure they would be glad to show you the ropes. I am in Burnsville MN if you are close enough happy to show you what I know.

I reload 5 pistol's, no rifle about 500 rounds of each anually.

I found an old sd in 45 cal. for $100.00

Focus, just a few thoughts:

1. if you load 2500 rounds/year (50 boxes in total)

that would cost you about $1,000??? (depends on caliber

and type of load - just my approximation - you would

know better than I)

The total cost of a 650, with the four extra calibers,

and some extras (case or bullet feeder) - would cost you

more than $1,000 (Probably a Lot more).

The 650 will load your 50 boxes of ammo (One year's supply)

in half of one day. And, then your 650 would be idle for the

other 364.5 days a year (365.5 this year:)

It would probably take you three years to pay for the 650

in value of ammo.

Economically, it probably makes little sense to buy the 650,

but you may have other reasons which override the economics:)

That's a personal decision - not saying you're wrong, just that

the economics don't appear to be on your side.

2. Loading so few rounds a year, you could load up your 50 boxes

of ammo, and switch dies, on ONE Square Deal, in one long day

per year. Or, one hour per month.

If you can get a Square Deal for $100, and spend $350? for the

other four caliber conversions, that would make more sense

economically.

but you still have to pay $450 to reload 50 boxes a year??? And,

you will need to buy another $150 = 250 for other equipment.

If you're trying to save money - I doubt you'll do it.

If you're trying to customize your ammo so that it shoots better

than factory ammo - then it might make some sense.

First, I'd check around and see if you have a Club Member who is

reloading - and see if you can borrow or rent their machine (load

on his machine) with your components before I'd spend all that

time/money buying equipment to load 50 boxes of ammo a year.

Just a thought ...

If you decide to go for it and reload - good luck, and have

fun (safely) - buy a chrono to work up your loads slowly.

I hear you guys, I do have someone reload for me know it cost $120.00 for 500 rounds and his ammo is good. I guess I just want to incorportate loading into my shooting experience, I think I will really enjoy it. I think the SD will be enough for me to get the job done and still have the experience I`m looking for. I appreciate your advice Jack, your probably right it will take quite a fiew years to recover my cost, but I`m okay with that. I think it will be a great fun and only add to my shooting experience.

Edited by focusedarcher

I hear you guys, I do have someone reload for me know it cost $120.00 for 500 rounds and his ammo is good. I guess I just want to incorportate loading into my shooting experience, I think I will really enjoy it. I think the SD will be enough for me to get the job done and still have the experience I`m looking for. I appreciate your advice Jack, your probably right it will take quite a fiew years to recover my cost, but I`m okay with that. I think it will be a great fun and only add to my shooting experience.

If you want to try it you should.

IMO reloading is not a chore but something to enjoy.... And your reloads can be tailored to your taste in many different ways... When you start shooting something besides 9mm it is hugely helpful.

It's not all about the money.

Hello: Buy that SDB and download the manual so you know what parts to buy for it. I would start by just reloading one caliber to see if reloading is something you like to do. That way you just have to buy one powder,bullets primers. I have owned 5 SDB's and like them alot but others have liked them more than I needed to own them :roflol: A great caliber to start with is 45acp if you own guns that shoot that. Easy to reload, safe also to start with. I enjoy reloading and reloaded about 10,000 rounds last year. I find a load that works for me and do 1000 rounds of it at a time. I then change over to a different caliber and do it again. I store the ammo in ammo cans so they stay dry and safe. Now go get that SDB :cheers: Thanks, Eric

Hand that guy 100 bucks for his SD and don't look back. Between a phone call to Dillon and Brian's forum, you will get it going soon.

I would just pick one caliber that costs the most to buy and start loading. You can make all those other decisions later.

You never have anything to lose by buying a Square Deal at a low price.

Buy the square deal, send it to dillon and they will either rebuild for free and upgrade or charge you about $60.

I have reloaded 40 on a square deal for the last three years just switched to a 650, with bullet case feeder and man life is sweet, but if you are low volume square deal is hard to beat

Buy the square deal, send it to dillon and they will rebuild for $60.

If you're going to buy the SD - Makes a Lot More Sense

than the 650 - I'd shoot a photo of it off to Dillon &

make sure they'll agree to rebuild it for you:)

One thing I forgot about - I bet if you start reloading,

you'll start shooting A Lot More - bet you start shooting

10,000 rounds a year in no time:)

Heck, you might even start shooting USPSA or IDPA !!

That, alone, makes it all worthwhile:)

So I picked up my new "old press" today and its beautiful, unfortunately its not the sdb as i was told, its actually the predicessor, the 450 jr B. The owner got it in a bulk estate sale and didn't realize it wasn't the sdb, so he sold it to me for $60.00, So I have a great press for loading 45 acp. I think I'll leave it dedicated for 45 and look at the sdb, for other cals. The 450 jr will make a great press to learn on. Thanks for all your posts. :cheers:

Edited by focusedarcher

Square Deal dies only fit Square Deal. will not fit 450 (RL550B) type presses.

I think having auto index as a must is a poor choice. I have at least one of everything Dillon make and I believe the 550 with manual index is better than the Square Deal with auto index for many people. My father has three Square Deal B and for what he does, 9mm, 38Super and 38Special, and he does not want to be bothered with changing bits on and off, this works fine for him. I personally think that he 550 can load just as quickly as the Square Deal and I think it is less fiddly.

If you are new to loading do not buy the 650 straight off. If you really can't stand a manual index press, do as some have suggested buy the Square Deal and ship it to Dillon, they will fix it up properly, if you are close to Dillon go in and talk to them with it. They also have a display and you can play on the machines and decide for yourself. I suggest you find someone who has some of them and see what they like about them and you need to use one. The worse that can happen if you buy the Square Deal and have to spend a bit of money on it $60 - $100, is, if you hate it in the end you get your money back when you sell it. But in the meantime you are saving a few bucks on ammo and learning how to reload. Then you put that money towards a 550 or 650 and off you go.

Does anyone know if the Sdb dies can be used with this 450 Jr. :surprise:

The 450 Jr in your photos uses 2 of the 3 "Square Deal" dies. The sizing/decap die is a standard 7/8 x 14 industry standard die.

I called dillon today, maybe I'm mistaken but I thought it used 3 sdb dies, the 4th being stn. #1 7/8-14 standard resizing and depriming die? stn #2 powder drop, #3 bullet press, and #4 crimp, all calibur specific? am I missing something? I think the powder drop needs an adapter to the powder funel. I'm slowly putting all the pieces togeather....pls. correct me if I'm mistaken.

Does anyone know if the Sdb dies can be used with this 450 Jr. :surprise:

The 450 Jr in your photos uses 2 of the 3 "Square Deal" dies. The sizing/decap die is a standard 7/8 x 14 industry standard die.

I called dillon today, maybe I'm mistaken but I thought it used 3 sdb dies, the 4th being stn. #1 7/8-14 standard resizing and depriming die? stn #2 powder drop, #3 bullet press, and #4 crimp, all calibur specific? am I missing something? I think the powder drop needs an adapter to the powder funel. I'm slowly putting all the pieces togeather....pls. correct me if I'm mistaken.

Your not "wrong" but the powder "die" is not a die in the usual sense. You use the powder funnel that comes with the Square Deal conversion kit inside the powder die you already have on the press. I hope I didn't confuse things more! :-)