Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip tape stacking

wes777

So I am going to try and sqeeze this into uspsa production and am wondering if it will fly. For some reason I can't yet bring myself to stipple this frame (not sure if I am going to keep the gun yet) so I tried qgrip tape. Still left me wanting more to hold onto so I tore it off and went with two layers on the weak hand side of the frame. As I thought, much better grip. Now my issueis that I don't want to gett bumped to open. I have stayed within the rule book on where to apply tape and it adds little to the grip contour.... But I have this horrible feeling that this small addition is just the sort of thing that ruins a perfectly good match.

Here is the photo:

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r486/gofast777/glock/99b4f117.jpg

I think that I am ridin g the line, set me straight.

Grips – any addition or

removal of material which

changes the factory profile

or adds function such

as beavertail or thumb

rest.

As noted above (21.4) Revolver grips may be

replaced with OEM or aftermarket grips of any

shape, profile and surface texture. 22.2 is deemed to

NOT APPLY to REVOLVER grips. Adding or

removing material to change the profile of Revolver

grips is ALLOWED.

By my reading of the above, you have changed the factory profile of the grip by adding two layers of grip tape. I wouldn't chance it....But, if you could find some really thick grip tape, and only put one layer on, then what could they say?

Without expressing any opinion either way, is a 1/16" difference in the tape thickness really going to matter? Or do you think that thicker grip tape is "grippier" than whatever it is you're using now?

I bought ladder tape at Menard's for one of my guns, but I'm not sure two layers would make any difference.

the grip tape in the first picture is the pre cut stuff i picked up from dp last month. It definitely enhanced the gripping surface, but I was left wanting more. I tried two different approaches before layering. I think that I wanted to use the yellow tape because I had already paid for it. Dunno. anyhow, putting the 3M tape on single layer achieved the same result for me. Part of it was extending it all the way to the slide. The only reason I am trying this is because I get zero traction from the stock frame and my hand keeps riding on the mag release during firing strings. Before this glock I was a died in the wool 1911 guy. Same thing there to, I make the grips larger (tried smaller, epic fail) and I run the gun better.

Well, there's yer problem! Go back to a true gun...the 1911! :cheers:

Personally, I see no reason why there is a rule about grip sleeves, grip enhancement, etc. Technically speaking, you aren't improving the gun, just your grip of it. Not being able to make those mods and be legal, well that just means you have to find a different gun that fits you better, which it contradictory to Production (IMO)...Run what you brung...

Something else to think about...

22.3 External plugs (such as

Seattle Slug)

Remains in effect – external plugs which alter the

grip profile or extend past the bottom of the grip are

PROHIBITED.

Something else to think about...

22.3 External plugs (such as

Seattle Slug)

Remains in effect – external plugs which alter the

grip profile or extend past the bottom of the grip are

PROHIBITED.

Thanks, I am tracking. That is one of the easy 'on again, off again' mods.

Appendix D4, item 21.4 Grips "For semi-automatic Production guns, grip tape, grip sleeves, checkering, stippling or other texgture may only be applied in the areas shown in Appendix E4."

[devil's advocate] The grip sleeves are thicker than grip tape and it says it can be installed in a certain area so if you added 2 or 10 it fits in this part of the rule.[/devil's advocate]

The main probablem is that some people get their panties in a twist over the meaning of a Production gun because they keep trying to change the rules to how they envision they should have been in the beginning. Some times change is not always good for USPSA or the country. Production Division in my mind means a gun that is scored minor and it has a double action trigger. Just because the BTAFE or the company claims that pulling the trigger causes 2 actions is a bunch of horse pucky. A pull of the trigger should cause the gun to fire, if it didn't then pull the trigger again. If the BOD would just accept that the cow is out of the barn and stop trying to seal the barn and start worrying about the cow. Afterall I can milk the cow but that barn is just going to rot away.