Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SA Trophy Match vs TRP?

bobby hated

so i went to pick up my new TRP from jail and they had a brand new Trophy Match (TM hereafter) in the case so i says to myself: damn bobby you need to jump on that. long story short, i'm now waiting another 10 days.

i'm buying the gun for USPSA/IPSC single stack and L10 and IDPA CDP. the TM had a few advantages over the TRP from my perspective.

- The slide top is flattened and serrated at 40lpi

- TM has an oversized firing pin stop, TRP does not

- TM has a cutout on the top rear of the slide to make room for the odd SA adjustable rear target sight. the Dawsons adjustable FO im gonna put on wont need the cutout, but hey, any weight off the slide is a + in my book. right?

- TM has a polished SS finish, which is much more shiny and looks better than the brushed SS on the TRP. my gun my opinion.

they were the same price, so im not quite sure where the extra cost of the slide cuts and serration factors in, but hey it'll save me a hundo cause i was gonna have the TRP top serrated anyway.

NOW HERE'S WHAT WORRIES ME: the TRP actually had a tighter slide to frame fit than the TM. the TM had a little lateral play on the slide, and the TRP had no play whatsoever. the TM feels more like the fit of a $500 gun than a $1500 gun. though neither was as clean as a nighthawk, wilson or ed brown. i'm quite sure this was just a individual issue with that particular TM, so i'm for sure going to send it to SA and tell them to refit the slide to frame properly.

am i correct in assuming that they will stand by their product and fix the fit or are they gonna tell me to go kick rocks?

thanks guys and gals

They will not refit the slide if it falls within their specifications. Some lateral movement is not a big deal. You are better off from a reliability stand point with a little movement than from a gun with a super tight slide.

How well does it shoot? My old Colt Gold Cup NM wobbled from side to side but shot the snot out of the 10 ring in bullsye pistol matches. My SA TM still has some wobble but matches the performance of that old Colt. My only gripe with the SA TM was the heavy trigger - I eventually replaced the innards with a set from Frerking Gun Works at Camp Perry.

Edited by TonyT

My TM has a heavy trigger too, but rather than replace trigger parts (except the trigger itself), I just put in a new sear spring and tweaked it down to around a 3.25 # pull. Not as crisp or as light as I'd like, but it works for now.

The factory adjustable rear works for me, but I did put a Dawson on the front.

ok so i just got off the phone with SA customer service.

both the TRP and the TM are made in the same factory, with the same machines, with the same workers. so we can call BS on the "they make the TRP for the FBI" argument. they just do different runs on different guns on different days.

if its out of spec they'll fix the fit of course, and according to the CS rep i talked to, if there is play in the fit chances are its out of spec. they do get one here and there come back that is out of spec so its within the realm of possibility.

however, to avoid taking the risk, they suggested i have the dealer send them the gun, and have them inspect it, if they find that it is in spec and wont fix it, then ill go with the TRP instead. if they do, then SA fixes the fit, pays the shipping and i keep it.

Voted TM, have shot a couple of each. Prefer the TM. The TM comes in stainless with bomar rear. I agree the TRP and TM are basically built on the same frame. Different names for difference options. The stainless TRP has Novak cut rear sights. Get the one that best fits you. 2 years ago I liked novak style sights, now I prefer a black serrated blade with green fiber front. I dont know if i could part with my TM... its a dream to shoot. To each their own.

CB45

A little slide/frame play is meaningless. If the gun has slide/barrel play, don't buy it. The slide/barrel lockup is critical to accuracy. the slide/frame fit is not.

Otherwise, get what appeals to you most.

• 3 weeks later...

I though for IDPA to shoot CDP the gun has to be 42oz which according to SA the TRP is 42oz on the dot and the TM is 40oz. Did they up the weight? If not you are trusting SA or you have to drop some weight on your own inside grips or someplace and not add any more parts.

ok so i just got off the phone with SA customer service.

both the TRP and the TM are made in the same factory, with the same machines, with the same workers. so we can call BS on the "they make the TRP for the FBI" argument. they just do different runs on different guns on different days.

I don't know where you heard that they make the TRP for the FBI, but the FBI HRT uses the springfield professional which is in the same realm of quality as nighthawk, wilson, etc. the TRP is built to be a mass produced, low cost, alternative to the professional.

I just wish the TM came armory-koted like the TRP then it would've gotten my vote.

I'd carry the TRP, and use the TM for competition.

Edited by dhf

I though for IDPA to shoot CDP the gun has to be 42oz which according to SA the TRP is 42oz on the dot and the TM is 40oz. Did they up the weight? If not you are trusting SA or you have to drop some weight on your own inside grips or someplace and not add any more parts.

I also was going to consider the Trophy Match for IDPA, but the weight is right up there at the limit, and I could not find out if that weight is even with an empty mag in the gun, or not, so I went with the S&W 1911. But I still want a TM.

I purchsed a SAS TM several years ago. It is tightly fit and shoots very accurately. My only gripe with the SA TM is the lousy trigger pull. I replaced the cast seart, disconnector & hammer with a set from Frerking Gun Works at Camp Perry two years ago.

I purchsed a SAS TM several years ago. It is tightly fit and shoots very accurately. My only gripe with the SA TM is the lousy trigger pull. I replaced the cast seart, disconnector & hammer with a set from Frerking Gun Works at Camp Perry two years ago.

Does the TM have that Schwartz lock on the inside of the magwell as do some of the other 1911's?

I would not buy a new 1911 at that price point with play in the slide/frame fit. My STI Spartan has no such play and is less than 1/2 the price of the TM.

For the price of a TM, I could get it checkered and chromed, replace all of the guts, and have my choice of sights, and be much happier overall.

That is, of course, putting aside the fact that stainless is an inferior material to make a gun from anyway. I don't think that's a serious concern, but it is a good reason why I would not tolerate any quality control issues in a gun at that price point.

Does the TM have that Schwartz lock on the inside of the magwell as do some of the other 1911's?

The SA TM has a lock which is activated with a key on the rear of the mainspring housing. When I replaced the innards I also replaced the mainspring housing.