Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

454 loads

madbear

i have been hand loading for some 40 years but haven't rolled any 454 loads yet.

i have had a raging bull for awhile & want to start reloading for it.

i will be going hog hunting in a few weeks so i need some big boy loads!

not that there are any baby loads for this puppy ! what would you suggest, i'm thinking 300 gr. bullets maybe bonded or hard lead with a gas check. or would i be better off with something that has better penetration?

the biggest question is what would be the best powder for such a losd?

thanks for any help;

madbear

For hunting, I'd be asking the outfitter or other handgun hunters what bullet seems to get the results.

My guess would be that you are on the money. If memory serves the complaint about hunting wild hogs has centered around penetration.

In your shoes I would probably be working up a load in the .45 Colt brass if the bullet could be crimped properly and still allow enough room for the powder charge.

I like the looks of the LBT bullets. Wide flat noses with a slight ogive and an easy transition in the forcing cone.

thanks guys,

i know i can shoot 45 colt, i do it all the time for practice but i need some powder info more than anything.

some bullet info to. i don't need to practice with any thing other than zeroing the loads i plane on dropping the hogs with. i am looking for the mostest, hoteristy, meanistist load i can get for these bad boys. what would be a good powder choice for 300 gr. or there about reliable bullet.

thanks for any help;

madbear

I would look at the loads for Alliant Power Pro 300-MP. This is a new powder from Alliant especially made for large magnum pistols like the .454 Casul. Here's one for the Speer 300g GDHP: Min OAL: 1.75, Barrel length: 7.5", Primer-Federal 205M, Powder-300MP; Grains-31; Velocity-1741 fps.

I would take a look at beatoothbullets. There site has a lot of information on hunting using their bullets. They carry a wide selection of gas checked lead. A lot of WFN and LBT designs.

As far as powder goes. Its hard to beat 296/H110 in terms of velocity. Its loud, flashy, hot, has serious recoil, and shouldn't be downloaded. Its a recoil junkies dream.

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone have loading data for unique with a 300 gr. xtp?

i see lee list it for 270 gr. lead & i use it for my 1911/45 acp & i would like to practice with it if i can.

i'm thinking of casting 300 gr lead with a gas check, any data for unique and this bullet.

thanks for any help;

madbear

speer makes a 300gr GoldDot bullet just for the 454. i've used it im 45 colt blackhawk to hunt elk and deer with. its made with a thicker jacket to keep it together. the other bullets i've use for elk are the 265gr LBT, 325gr LBT and 335gr LBT. The powder that I use a hodgdons Lil'gun which doesn't require the use of a magnum primers and will do everything the W296/H110 with less pressure, and tends to get more velocity out of it. Very nice powder. Hornady makes a very accurate match bullet, but from what I've seen, there hunting handgun bullets don't perform like advertised.

i am loading 300 gr. .452" dia. XTPs in a 454 raging bull with H110. these loads are for hogs!

i have worked up loads to 25.4 g. which seem pretty tame. can i go to 25.7 g. setted at 1.778" OAL which will fit in my cylinder & crimp in the first cannelure? i don't want to seet in the second cannelure which i think will be too short. would this be safe?

the book gives a max load of 26 g. with a 300 g. partition-HG at .451"

thanks for any advice;

madbear

well nobody screamed stop! so i loaded up 2 rounds, 1 with 25.5 g. & 1 with 25.7 g. of H110 under a 300g. XTP. they DID wake up the bull but seemed safe so i think i will use these to knock over some pigs.

madbear