Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Back Surgery

HS101

Doctor finally said it is time to fix my back. Time to fix a massive herniation and remove a disk and associated bone chunks that have been causing misery for quite awhile...

Got the date for the surgery --- Friday April 13th :surprise: luckily I am not (too) superstitious...

But, out of work for 6 - 12 weeks, and probably will not be able to actively shoot (read this to say be competitive) for several more months - Doc said he will measure the recovery in months...

I haven't even made it to a single 3 Gun event this year :angry2:

I had a "huge" herniation removed and repaired on 2/13/12, so I sympathize with you. If it's any consolation, the doctor told me that the most common statement after surgery is "I wish I'd done it sooner." I fought it, absolutely refusing to have a surgery, and went the epidural route until I just couldn't take the pain any longer. Now that I'm in recovery... I wish I'd done it sooner.

As far as work goes, it will continue on without you. I wanted to return at 4 weeks but got held out for 5. I just did a partial work week, and I have to admit it's good that I waited. Just because you feel good putting around the house doesn't mean that you jump right into an 8+ hour day of work like it's nothing.

Good luck to you!

That stinks. But you should feel better once its done and the nerves settle down (that takes awhile). I had mine done almost 23yrs ago and 6 weeks after it was done I was out water skiing! :surprise:

Good luck, and when they tell you to get up and walk, listen! Walking is the best low impact rehab to get back in shape and keep your back streched and relaxed.

Doctor finally said it is time to fix my back. Time to fix a massive herniation and remove a disk and associated bone chunks that have been causing misery for quite awhile...

Got the date for the surgery --- Friday April 13th :surprise: luckily I am not (too) superstitious...

But, out of work for 6 - 12 weeks, and probably will not be able to actively shoot (read this to say be competitive) for several more months - Doc said he will measure the recovery in months...

Since they are removing a disc, are they doing a fusion?

Luckily, no fusion... Taking out the chunks and part of the disk. The 18mm herniation has not subsided, even after 3 rounds of 6 epidural injections... The doctor is going to possibly remove some bone to give the the swelling some more room. However, he said I "am too young to fuse my lower back".

I'll still have to deal with the back pain, but no nerve pain. I am going to use an inversion table, plus exercise and stretches to hopefully work my back into shape after the surgery. My lower 4 disc have all collapsed or herniated to some extent. I have actually lost 1.5" over the last several years. I just need to learn to stop trowing poppers around like they weigh 10 pounds... Proper lifting, yada yada yado

And, I will have to see about cutting down on my driving - I drive about 40-50 thousand miles a year for work and play, and the doctor said that is about the worst thing I could do to my back. I am now one of those drivers who puts the seat strait up, and that seems to help... I used to be slouched over when I drove, and that killed me...

• 5 weeks later...

Seems to be doing great! 1 week out, and all nerve pain is gone. I am moving pretty well, considering the 8" scar on my back. Still stiff, and my back is sore, but hopefully seems good. They took out most of the disc, and also scraped out bone and calcium deposits from inside the spinal collumn.

I am still in the 2 week " bedrest" stage, but i am managing to walk arround well. I am limited to laying down, reclining, or standing/walking - no sitting for another week. However, i still have no stamina/endurance. 10 minutes of walking ends up in a nice little nap :) I go in Friday and have the staples removed, and hopefully start the real rehab process.

Overall, I know I am getting better because i am getting antsy and I am ready to get out and shoot! I just need to work on my back enough so that i can sit long enough to drive to a maych!

Good to hear! Your surgery was more involved than the one I did, but if your recovery goes any like mine it's cool to wake up every morning and literally feel completely different than the day before. I could almost measure my improvements hourly. Keep us updated!