Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any one ever broke a spring plug?

Mat Price

After about 6000 rounds on my turbor my spring plug broke. A perfect chunk about 1/2 inch across and 1 inch long. Looks like right at the machine seam. Oh well. Got another in. I break the oddest things. First it was the safety

I went to hunt it up to take pics but i can't find the broke piece. I think i left it on my buds bench. Anyway it was definitely metal fatigue failure. I could tell by how clean it broke and were it broke on the seam.

Spring Plug= Plug that holds in the recoil spring?

If so, what you described sounds similar to the broke plugs I have had in my guns. I have broken a couple of them over the years in my limited guns. Right around 30ish thousand in each gun. Interestingly, in both cases, the pistols worked fine and I happened to notice the break when I was taking the gun down to clean it.

yeah Baa, The reverse plug, And i am not sure when this one broke only the only reason I even noticed it was that the srping finally came through the front. but it functioned fine the whole time this morning and through the drills I was doing I am sure it didnt break on the last shot i fired.

Several years back I lost the plug on my Lightweight Colt Officer's Model 45. Never found it so can't say why it failed. Dropped in a reverse plug, prolly Wilson, and haven't looked back. Only gun I ever had with the issue.