Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing rust from a Hard Chromed STI ?

jasonk_jasonk

I just picked up a used STI, low round count and in really good shape overall, only issue is it's got some surface rust. 95% of the rust is on the inside of the pistol, it's very light and hasn't appeared to etch anything. You can also see a few small spots under the safety lever, etc. It doesn't affect the running of the pistol at all, but I'd like it gone.

I'm thinking that maybe some Flitz polish on some super fine steel wool would do the trick, but I'm curious if there are any other more experienced opinions out here.

Thanks,

jasonk

PS...The picture makes it look way worse than it is, that's the good news!

post-19147-0-88378100-1332337685_thumb.j

post-19147-0-59664700-1332337694_thumb.j

Hello: Try the polish with a cotton rag first. If that does not work try some very fine Scotchbrite pads and countertop cleaner. Or on second thought just use some Hoppes #9 and Q-Tips. Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

Hello: Try the polish with a cotton rag first. If that does not work try some very fine Scotchbrite pads and countertop cleaner. Or on second thought just use some Hoppes #9 and Q-Tips. Thanks, Eric

You can clean the rust off with 0000 steel wool with no ill effects to the hard chrome. Believe it or not, the 0000 steel wool is less abrasive than the scotchbrite pads! Scotchbrite pads will scratch auto glass whereas 0000 steel wool will not! Go ahead, ask me how I know. Back in the day we used to use 0000 steel wool to clean the chrome bumpers on our musclecars (I still do) and it made the chrome look like new.

Soak it in some WD-40 and wipe it with a flannel rag. Using polish or a scotchbrite pad might remove the rust but it might also change the look of the chrome. EDIT 392heminut is right about the steel wool.

Edited by z40acp

I bought a stainless steel Springfield Loaded a few years ago. The original owner got it wet, then stored it under the front seat of his car. Small spots of rust everywhere. I used some very fine automotive sandpaper on the polished parts and steel wool on the bead blasted parts. The hardest part was the rust that was in the serrations. For it, I used some wooden Q-tips with steel wool on the end. I also used some Burchwood Casey Blue and Rust remover. After a few hours, you couldn't tell where the rust had been.

Looks like most of yours is inside, so that should be easy to remove. The other option is to find someone who will bead blast the entire gun.

Edited by prreed10

WD40 will work, but Break Free CLP works better. Spray and let it soak, softening rust, for a day or so, then use steel wool or even just felt. Soak again and repeat. We use it all the time on valuable antique swords. You can also rub it off with a copper penny after such soaking.

I've had good results flattening a brass case and scraping with it on blued guns. You can contour them to the barrel or whatever your working on. Never had a hard chromed gun but I would imagine it would work.

I always take rust off with fine steel wool and a light oil like Hoppe's orange bottle or FP-10. Has worked great on a number of blued guns, and when my one chromed gun developed a little rust spot it took that off too, though there's still a "scar".

• 2 weeks later...

I have removed small rust spots/sreas on blued guns by using a #2 pencil lead. Scrub over teh rust with the graphite "lead", and then use the eraser to erase the "lead" and rust. It has remopved rust without damaging the blueing.