Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TightGroup tries to eat RCBS ChargeMaster 1500

p5200

Has anyone else noticed the RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 Dispenser/Scale to be sensitive to this or, other powders as far as trying to actually soften and try to eat into the plastic base as well as the clear tube? I had a heck of a time getting this powder loose from the clear plastic tube and, the insides of the green base after sitting just over night? There was still, a sticky feeling after removing the powder It's been two days I haven't checked it again yet but if it's still a little tacky feeling any suggestions on what I could use to wipe it down with? I thought about a damp rag with Alcohol but I'm open to all suggestions. I'm for sure, going to drain it after every session from now on as these things aren't cheap. Thanks! :cheers:

Edited by p5200

Had titegroup discolor and eat my Hornady tube.. i dont leave it in there anymore.

Thanks for the reply, I hope there aren't many other powders that do that. I don't think I ever had a problem with my rifle powders. :cheers:

I've never been good about removing powder when I'm done with it, however TiteGroup has made a fanatic out of me. It ate through my LNL drop pretty quickly. I've actually looked through the McMaster-Carr catalog a few times for other materials that might be more resistant, but I'm unsure which to try at this point.

Well, I sure am glad to see that I'm not the only one having this problem. Not, that I get pleasure from hearing about other folks misfortunes. I really think these companies need to experiment with some different materials that will handle the chemicals in these powders (if) possible. I don't remember any rifle powders causing problems with my ChargeMaster 1500 so far anyone else? Of you folks that have had the same problem, what did you use to wipe off the sticky feeling to the plastic so newly added powder won't stick to it? Alcohol maybe, or did air drying work. I'm thinking about going back to my Win 231 powder again I don't remember having that problem wit it does anyone else? I sure appreciate everyone chiming in as this is a pretty important matter to us reloaders. Thanks! :cheers:

I've tried compressed air, rubbing alcohol, even bounce sheets(and all 3 together) noting has made much of a difference. Even emptying after each session is only buying a bit of extra time before discoloration and the melting effect sets in, I've had my latest tube in use for 2 weeks.

Hornady sent me 2 new ones at first when I asked. Then I bought 2 more @10 bucks a pop, so I am on my 3rd tube in 3 years. The tube that I had in the longest actually started to sag about a 1/2" leaving it fat and mishappen at the bottom.

If the RCBS material is showing the same symptoms probably not a material issue. However, I would be curious what RCBS has to say. They have always had good support.

Good luck, not sure how easy the chargemaster's tube is to change out or if it's even possible. At least with the LNL it has a metal base and the tubes are only $10.

Well, I sure am glad to see that I'm not the only one having this problem. Not, that I get pleasure from hearing about other folks misfortunes. I really think these companies need to experiment with some different materials that will handle the chemicals in these powders (if) possible. I don't remember any rifle powders causing problems with my ChargeMaster 1500 so far anyone else? Of you folks that have had the same problem, what did you use to wipe off the sticky feeling to the plastic so newly added powder won't stick to it? Alcohol maybe, or did air drying work. I'm thinking about going back to my Win 231 powder again I don't remember having that problem wit it does anyone else? I sure appreciate everyone chiming in as this is a pretty important matter to us reloaders. Thanks! :cheers:

I can tell you that we at Dillon are continually testing new plastics for their resistance to gunpowders. I suspect it is more related to the solvents used to neutralize the powder after manufacture that are the culprit. Our newest hopper tubes are polycarbonate, which shows much greater resistance to discoloration. The older material would discolor, but not erode.

I wonder if I could find somewhere to get a glass tube for my Hornady loader, that should be non reactive with everything and last longer.

Glass may be possible, I was thinking stainless steel would work also.

Edited by DWFAN

The only issue I see with glass is the powder drop is cast and has 2 lips to hold the plastic tube in.

I wonder if I could find somewhere to get a glass tube for my Hornady loader, that should be non reactive with everything and last longer.

I was thinking glass you could still see the powder level, but with a low powder alarm, it should be easy enough. Or do like I do, put in enough to cover over 100 rounds, then when I stop to refill the primer tube, top off the powder.

Just curious but, anyone know why Titegroup does not have the same negative effects on the bottle it comes in from the factory? Chemical vs plastic reasons, or the fact that the containers are air tight? Thanks! :cheers:

Titegroup does a number on the RCBS plastic, and quickly (as in overnight). There's no way to remove the etching. This is the only pistol powder I've found that does this.

If you think the clear plastic etching is bad, look inside the body of the dispenser - it can get ugly.

When you contact RCBS, they will nag you about the sentence in the manual that tells you to empty your measure when done loading. And then, being the amazing company they are, will probably send you a new clear hopper. I doubt they'll do that more than once...

Enjoy!

Has anyone else noticed the RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 Dispenser/Scale to be sensitive to this or, other powders as far as trying to actually soften and try to eat into the plastic base as well as the clear tube? I had a heck of a time getting this powder loose from the clear plastic tube and, the insides of the green base after sitting just over night? There was still, a sticky feeling after removing the powder It's been two days I haven't checked it again yet but if it's still a little tacky feeling any suggestions on what I could use to wipe it down with? I thought about a damp rag with Alcohol but I'm open to all suggestions. I'm for sure, going to drain it after every session from now on as these things aren't cheap. Thanks! :cheers:

Titegroup has a high notroglycerin content and nitroglycerin is a great solvent for some plastics.

• 2 weeks later...