Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safety issue with ghost rocket. Please help

stoked4AA

I have used the ghost rocket kit on my G17 and G34 without any issue. Both guns were set up with a 14lb recoil spring, ghost rocket connector, light safety spring, increased trigger spring and polishing all surfaces with .25 cent method. I used stock striker spring until last week, I switched both guns out for a 4.5 lb striker and result is... The trigger in my G34 will not go all of the way foreward and reset the safety on the trigger. It resets initially between firing shots, but when I press trigger to prep and then let off the trigger will not reset foreward enough for the trigger safety to reset. Is this normal with light striker spring? My G17 has no problem. How about just trimming some of the tab so that the safety will reset. Is that the normal fix. If I didn't have the G17 working normally I would probably have just trimmed the tab. It ever just so bareley doesent clear the tab placing the trigger safety into its normal safe position.

I have not done anything to limit pretravel so Im lost! place stock striker spring back in and the reset and pretravel are very positive and safety is perfect.

But the 4.5 striker should not effect this to the point that safety is not proper is there a chance that something is out of specs that i am not recognizing?

Edited by stoked4AA

I was thinking about that but why does it work so well in my G17

Other posts have mentioned that its just that one gun my G17 runs amazing so why is the other not running the same

Edited by stoked4AA

Either change your striker spring or your trigger spring to the factory equivalent.

Heavy trigger spring + light striker spring = no bueno.

Pretty much this.

And you're right, some guns might run fine with that setup, some won't. The connector and spring setup I have in my gun turns my buddy's G34 into an automatic doubletap machine.

Put the OEM trigger spring back in the pistol and leave the 4.5# firing pin spring in place.

The OEM trigger spring will last longer and reset better than the 6# spring in your pistol and the FP spring will reduce the trigger pull more than the trigger spring.

Edited by JBP55

I was thinking about that but why does it work so well in my G17

Other posts have mentioned that its just that one gun my G17 runs amazing so why is the other not running the same

While parts interchange pretty freely, and the guns for the most part run reliably with almost any combination of parts, you will occasionally run into a situation where the tolerances just stack up perfectly, and there's a problem.....

And yes -- that could occur in one gun.

Years ago, I did the triggers in 2 34s and a 19 on the same weekend. Same parts were changed, everything was polished identically, and while all the triggers were nice, the one in the 19 is nicer and smoother than the others. Just the way it stacked up.....

I've had 3 34s over the years -- one would run all year long on a 12 lb. recoil spring, the other two would only run with 13 lbs. or heavier, and would require at least twice annual changes of the 13 lb springs....

Makes no sense -- until you consider the parts tolerances...

Like others have said, put the factory striker spring back in and all should be well. Some guns just don't like certain parts combinations. My G19 doesn't like 3.5# connectors. Functions fine with the 5# polished connector. I've learned to live with it.