Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Failure to Feed

mike l m

Hey Guys,

Been having a devil of a time with this Colt Series 70 45 ACP.I can run this weapon 150-300 rounds and all of a sudden I start to get failure to feed issues. If I pull the barrel out and clean it and use Shooter's Choice to clean the barrel, wipe the frame and slide down, put it back together, it runs like a top.

Let me explain the failure to feed, when it doesn't go into battery, I gently touch the back of the slide and it goes into battery in most cases. At other times, it tries to extract a fired case and will stove pipe or try to pick up another round to feed.

I am running a 16.5 var Wolff recoil spring, not such of mainspring though.

Load is 4.3 grains of Clays with a Mitchell 200 gr swc, oal is 1.245-1.25.

Crimp is .470

Magazines have been mearsured to .458 at back and release is .405.

The chamber had a rough spot in it but has been smoothed out.

Use a mixture of Dillipn snake oil and Break Free to lube it up til you get your glasses splattered at times.

Anybody have some insight as to the next step.

Thanks,

Mike

Have you polished the feed ramp? 600 grit sand paper, an empty case and a lot of time. I have about a solid hour on my 5in. Limited gun and my 9mm trojan, but it is worth it. The Trojan was doing the same thing when I would use the slide lock to release the slide. Hope this helps.

Have you polished the feed ramp? 600 grit sand paper, an empty case and a lot of time. I have about a solid hour on my 5in. Limited gun and my 9mm trojan, but it is worth it. The Trojan was doing the same thing when I would use the slide lock to release the slide. Hope this helps.

like the man says, start polishing. I start with the 600 then head down to autozone and pick up 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit wet sand paper for buffing paint. After moving through those I pull out the dremmel with the cotton tip and use jewelers rouge or blue magic (blue magic and or fitz doesnt make as much of a mess) to really put the mirror on it. DISCLAIMER: THIS MIGHT BE OVERKILL.

If the metal is pitted, I start with the lower grit sandpaper, if not then go up the chain.

I rebuilt a gun last month for a buddy that was experiencing a similar issue. Same symptoms with kimber, act, and wilson mags. Not one malfunction with Tripp Cobras. He didn't want to buy the tripps so we cut a slightly different angle in the feed ramp and polished the chamber. Ejection issues came down to ejector timing.

start with the polishing, then go from there.

When was the last time you cleaned the extractor tunnel? When it gets all gooped up it will start to not go into battery. It needs cleaning every 1000 rounds, more often if you are drowing it in lube, which it needs none of.

Ron

Edited by CocoBolo

Ron,

The last time I pulled the extractor and cleaned out the build-up was less the 200 rounds ago. I use Shooters Choise on a Q-Tip and then make sure the tube is dry before putting the extractor back in the gun. Also, wipe off the extractor. So I am at a loss as to what is going on.

The weapon is dead nuts accurate and when it runs it is great.

Thanks,

Mike

Check the tension on the extractor. I use a Lyman digital trigger gauge and Weigand's extractor tension gauge set, and adjust the tension with a Weigand adjusting tool to between 1.3 and 1.5 lbs. You dont have to have the Weigand, but I like it. There are some vids on youtube on how to check it, but I like to know exactly what mine is set for.

Also check the top of the chamber, just in front of the barrel hood, for roughness. Polishing here helps feeding as well. Just dont go overboard with it. ;)

Edited by GregJ

Unless you've installed a ramped barrel I don't recommend this for a stock unramped barrel unless you know exactly what you're doing. Many 1911's have been hacked up doing this incorrectly and it is very expensive to correct if done wrong..ie gunsmith installing EGW frame insert or installing new ramped barrel.

Is your chamber tight?

Your barrel is ramped, correct?

Are there funny marks being left on your brass when the malfunctions happen, or any other time?

Can you run ball ammo fine? What's your source for lead on the lswc?

How many rounds are on your magsprings?

I wouldn't touch the ramp. Your description to me is pointing out extractor tension and or weak mag springs though.

Edited by feederic

Feederic,

Chamber is about normal, I chamber check each round in the barrel, you know, drop in drop out.

Barrel is ramped.

Have not seen any funny marks on brass.

Can run hard ball. I use Mitchell Bullets 200 gr swc.

Mag springs were replaced about a month ago.

New extractor about 2 months ago.

Mike

wes777,

The oal is 1.245-1.250 so just a little part of shoulder is there

Thanks, Mike

This type of FTF is generally caused by the extractor if the ammo drops in OK with barrel out. Either too much tension or burrs or sharp corners on hook or notch. Do you have this problem before you replaced the extractor two months ago? Generally less extractor tension is better with SWC's.

Also, check to be sure you don't have a small burr at firing pin hole and that breech face is smooth :cheers:

Edited by reptoid

reptoid and everyone else,

I think I found the problem with a little help from my gunsmith.

The resizing die in my Dillion 450B was not deep enough, so the cases were not getting full lenght sized.

After I reset the die and using a case gauge, low and behold, it works now.

Drop in and out of case gauge, and also the barrel.

I really feel kind of dumb, but looks like problem solved.

Thanks for all the great input.

Mike

reptoid and everyone else,

I think I found the problem with a little help from my gunsmith.

The resizing die in my Dillion 450B was not deep enough, so the cases were not getting full lenght sized.

After I reset the die and using a case gauge, low and behold, it works now.

Drop in and out of case gauge, and also the barrel.

I really feel kind of dumb, but looks like problem solved.

Thanks for all the great input.

Mike

Glad you got it figured out. I was pretty stumped! I had a hunch it was your ammo, which is why I asked about ball ammo working perfectly fine.