Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Shot Season 4: Episode 5 (13Mar12)

BTW, I think the reason for not using patches was safety. Using a patch can add a lot of resistance and if you mess up the load you can wedge the ball in the barrel.

That, and the comedy factor of the ball rolling out the end of the barrel!

If you watch this week's Top Guns they show the full loading process with a patch. It does not make for good TV. I can see why the producers may have asked the expert to see if some steps could be skipped.

Not using patches surprised me also as it would have kept the ball in the barrel and kept them from performing an unsafe act.

I was cringing when they were putting a ball back in and tamping it down with the rod while it was loaded/cocked and there was 4F in the flashpan? :surprise:

I can't believe the expert/producers/safety people let that happen?

Neal in AZ

Maybe they (expert/producers/safety people) didn't trust them with both a pistol and a knife....

You know I actually thought of that. Trying to cut the patch on the clock would be dangerous with these inexperienced shooters.

:lol:

Edited by DyNo!

Is it me, or is the girl/lady the best shooter of the bunch!

David E.

Not sure if Gabby's the "best" yet, but watching her so far her performance seems to be consistently among the best. Time will tell.

One thing I noticed about her from the beginning is she looks VERY unhappy with substandard performance but I don't see any childish emotional displays or blaming others. That speaks well for her maturity and professionalism.

Edited by Garyg19

Since I fast forward though anything at the house.. strickly on range time, she sure seems like she has her act together

I was thinking she'd have a hard time with the rope swing-a-cross, but she looked like a pro

Definetly pulling for her

I was cringing when they were putting a ball back in and tamping it down with the rod while it was loaded/cocked and there was 4F in the flashpan? :surprise:

Neal in AZ

Yeah...I don't know anything about Black Powder guns but that scared me.

I would imagine your Pistol could blow up in your face while ripping up your hands and fingers pretty good if you pulled the trigger while Tamping down the powder.

Maybe Flintlocks should have Mag Disconnects on them :)

Only in California of course.

Neal in AZ

Yeah...I don't know anything about Black Powder guns but that scared me.

I would imagine your Pistol could blow up in your face while ripping up your hands and fingers pretty good if you pulled the trigger while Tamping down the powder.

Maybe Flintlocks should have Mag Disconnects on them :)

Only in California of course.

Wouldn't that be a "rod disconnect"? :roflol:

Since I fast forward though anything at the house.. strickly on range time, she sure seems like she has her act together

I was thinking she'd have a hard time with the rope swing-a-cross, but she looked like a pro

Definetly pulling for her

She has been posting over on Arfcom, she seems like a very good person and a real shooter. Hates Hugo Chavez so that's a big plus.

This week's review:

Team challenge = head-to-head = win

Elimination = take turns = only editing tension = fail

Can't wait for the cannon next week, looks awesome, although the range seems too short. They need to be going 2000 yards or something historic.

I've often thought they should do a blackpowder cannon as a team event, talk about relying on people, but I guess this is the closest they could do without blowing anybody up.

Assuming there's going to be another season, it may be interesting for them to have something water related: underwater spearfishing, or perhaps throwing spears or shooting arrows from land into water. I don't know if it'll crank up their production costs outrageously or not, though.

As for this week's elimination challenge, there was a part I didn't quite understand. During the practice, the expert was encouraging them to pie the angle through the view port. When they were actually shooting the challenge, they seemed to only engage targets straight down range. Was there an unaired rule that said they could only shoot directly downrange?